Re: [hreg] Southern Oklahoma architects/desigers/contractors

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2006
      yes we do serve that area,  let's talk off line or pass this info to them.

      regards.

      tax credits are meant to take advantage of.

      we are working with the indian hospital in Ada to reduce their energy bill and can combine a visit to them with this trip.

      regards

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
      www.harvest-energy.com
      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006

        Thanks to all who’ve joined in.  I still hope to hear of someone who can visit a home in So. Oklahoma and make recommendations on new roofing and energy redesign.

        One question as a followup to the roofing ideas.  If you have to put a whole new roof and possibly decking in anyway, what is the best system to go in with in that climate (which is drier than Houston )?  I am hearing soffits/attic fans from many of you.  But is that better, or is it better to go with a different system entirely considering it is a new roof?  For example, I’ve heard folks here talk about sprinkler systems on roofs (in OK I’d think that would work better than here).

        What about the insulated roofing system we saw on the Home Tour this fall that Laverne Williams showed?  Is that suitable for a retrofit?  Or is it only working so well because he designed it into a new construction?  (Laverne?)

        Thanks,

        Robert Johnston

      • Karl Rabago
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
          When my old asphalt roof in Austin got taken out by a microburst hail storm, I went to metal. And I had radiant barrier decking put down first - shiny side up. Then I had the roofer run wood lathe - about 2x2, I think, vertically and mount the metal on that. The radiant barrier and passive venting effect, as well as the enhanced reflection of the metal roof immediately knocked 25% off my electric bill. And it allowed me to drop a ton on the AC compressor when that needed replacing a year later - saved capital and even more operating costs.

          karl

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
            Robert,
                I've been to Oklahoma a few times and really enjoyed it.. it's a welcome change from Houston, TX and I was amazed as to how much different the climate is up there... so much drier... but it's also landlocked so enjoying saltwater fishing isn't a practical reality on a regular basis... I'd take the humidity and saltwater fishing any day... :)
                the reality with attics are that no matter if it's humid heat or dry heat you still have a lot of it in the attic during the summer and that's what makes it expensive to keep a house cool... especially if it's a 1 story with a low roof... so it's important to keep air moving inside the attic so it's not as hot and stuffy and sprinklers can't do that (move air around)... instead of spending money on a sprinkler system, get some PV solar panels which absorb the heat in a good way and make electricity so it'll eventually pay for itself... there are also federal tax credits to make the cost less impacting to your finances... above all, make sure there is adequate insulation in the attic... that in itself will make a big difference as well and while the roof is off, that could be a good time to look into the top of the walls to see what that insulation is like inside the walls... I don't know how old the home is or the set up is between the roof and the top of the walls so I don't actually know how feasible that would be...

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 22, 2006
              Is solar screen also effective in reducing AC consumption of electricity?

              Tai Hong

              Karl Rabago <krabago@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Mail

            • refuge@wt.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 22, 2006
                solar screen is effective in windows that are mainly on east/west side of your
                home or business that get direct sunlight. the only con is how ugly they
                look... getting good 2" or similar blinds are also effective... miniblinds are
                a joke. later