Re: greetings from a new member

  • john_novar
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2006

      Dear John and Mia:

      I have had the same concerns about way that I could reduce my energy consumption.  I live in Floridia and we just had a 20% increase in our power bill.    A few months ago I decided that I was sick and tired of my very high FPL bill so I pursued in reducing it by doing an Energy audit on my home.  The audit showed where I could reduce my consumption of energy which included replacing my light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent bulbs, installing a Circuit Rider and a tankless hot water heater. With the installation of the Circuit Rider I found that my circuit panel was wired incorrectly and was wasting a lot of electricity that I was paying for but not using.  Finally my panel is wired correctly this has really been a learning experience. Just to let you know of the more than 15 circuit panels that I have completed site surveys with photos on; only one panel out of the 15 was wired correctly.  Some of them are wired so incorrectly that they could cause someone to be electrocuted under certain circumstances and others are just plain wasting electricity.  I can send photos my current FPL bill and circuit panel so you can see the reduced  usage by 300 Khw over last year's bill.  But let me summarize the 300khw drop over last year was before I had the neutral ground problem fixed so I am anticipating an additional savings.  The reduction in usage dropped 18.86% but FPL increased its prices by 22.57% over last year (for business the increase is 40%). My next move will be to get solar PV installed (see attachment) up to the allowable tax credit amount for this year.

      If you would be interested in a home energy review don't hesitate to contact me.

      Keep the Planet Green

      John M Novar #104105

      13055 SW 83rd Avenue

      Pinecrest, FL 33156

      305.251.9630 * 800.639.8796

      Video click here

      Krystalize your Home: Save 40-100% on Utility Bills
      Krystalize your Car: Save $30-50 / Month on Gasoline

      877-222-4972 - recorded messages

      www.krystal-planet.com/jnovar

      jnovar@...

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2006

        My sister recently moved to the Ardmore , OK area from Washington state.  They’ve bought a house that will need a new roof, and while they are at it they want to increase the energy efficiency of their home.  What they need is an architect or other professional that can advise them on (a) the roofing system, including venting, insulation, radiant barrier, metal vs. shingles, etc.; (b) other energy improvements they can make to their house, possibly including solar water heater.

        Do any of you know reputable people that can do that kind of thing?

        Do any of our architects travel that far?

        John Miggins, do you know anybody in that area?  (and do you serve that area with your water heater business?)

        Robert Johnston

      • Jim & Janet
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2006
          Be absolutely sure to add ridge vents along all horizontal ridges and don't waste money on passive roof turbines.
          Jim Duncan
          North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.
          ntrei@...
          817.917.0527

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2006
              yes we do serve that area,  let's talk off line or pass this info to them.

              regards.

              tax credits are meant to take advantage of.

              we are working with the indian hospital in Ada to reduce their energy bill and can combine a visit to them with this trip.

              regards

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
                John
                I am curious that you mention “circuit rider” installation saved you energy? My understanding of the circuit rider product is that it improved power factor, thereby reducing the magnitude of the electric current and does very minimal contribution to energy saving in a home (slight reduction in ohmic losses in wiring etc – sorry for being too technical). Is there a website for the product?
                Thanks

                john_novar <jnovar@...> wrote:

                Dear John and Mia:
                I have had the same concerns about way that I could reduce my energy consumption.  I live in Floridia and we just had a 20% increase in our power bill.    A few months ago I decided that I was sick and tired of my very high FPL bill so I pursued in reducing it by doing an Energy audit on my home.  The audit showed where I could reduce my consumption of energy which included replacing my light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent bulbs, installing a Circuit Rider and a tankless hot water heater. With the installation of the Circuit Rider I found that my circuit panel was wired incorrectly and was wasting a lot of electricity that I was paying for but not using.  Finally my panel is wired correctly this has really been a learning experience. Just to let you know of the more than 15 circuit panels that I have completed site surveys with photos on; only one panel out of the 15 was wired correctly.  Some of them are wired so incorrectly that they could cause someone to be electrocuted under certain circumstances and others are just plain wasting electricity.  I can send photos my current FPL bill and circuit panel so you can see the reduced  usage by 300 Khw over last year's bill.  But let me summarize the 300khw drop over last year was before I had the neutral ground problem fixed so I am anticipating an additional savings.  The reduction in usage dropped 18.86% but FPL increased its prices by 22.57% over last year (for business the increase is 40%). My next move will be to get solar PV installed (see attachment) up to the allowable tax credit amount for this year.
                If you would be interested in a home energy review don't hesitate to contact me.

                Keep the Planet Green

                John M Novar #104105
                13055 SW 83rd Avenue
                Pinecrest, FL 33156
                305.251.9630 * 800.639.8796
                Krystalize your Home: Save 40-100% on Utility Bills
                Krystalize your Car: Save $30-50 / Month on Gasoline
                877-222-4972 - recorded messages

                Dr. Prasad Enjeti Power Electronics & Power Quality Laboratory
                Professor, Fellow of IEEE Department of Electrical Engineering
                Texas A&M University
                College Station, TX - 77843-3128
                Tel: 979-845-7466
                Fax: 979-845-6259
                Email: enjeti@... ; http://enjeti.tamu.edu

              • Robert Johnston
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006

                  Thanks to all who’ve joined in.  I still hope to hear of someone who can visit a home in So. Oklahoma and make recommendations on new roofing and energy redesign.

                  One question as a followup to the roofing ideas.  If you have to put a whole new roof and possibly decking in anyway, what is the best system to go in with in that climate (which is drier than Houston )?  I am hearing soffits/attic fans from many of you.  But is that better, or is it better to go with a different system entirely considering it is a new roof?  For example, I’ve heard folks here talk about sprinkler systems on roofs (in OK I’d think that would work better than here).

                  What about the insulated roofing system we saw on the Home Tour this fall that Laverne Williams showed?  Is that suitable for a retrofit?  Or is it only working so well because he designed it into a new construction?  (Laverne?)

                  Thanks,

                  Robert Johnston

                • Karl Rabago
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
                    When my old asphalt roof in Austin got taken out by a microburst hail storm, I went to metal. And I had radiant barrier decking put down first - shiny side up. Then I had the roofer run wood lathe - about 2x2, I think, vertically and mount the metal on that. The radiant barrier and passive venting effect, as well as the enhanced reflection of the metal roof immediately knocked 25% off my electric bill. And it allowed me to drop a ton on the AC compressor when that needed replacing a year later - saved capital and even more operating costs.

                    karl

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
                      Robert,
                          I've been to Oklahoma a few times and really enjoyed it.. it's a welcome change from Houston, TX and I was amazed as to how much different the climate is up there... so much drier... but it's also landlocked so enjoying saltwater fishing isn't a practical reality on a regular basis... I'd take the humidity and saltwater fishing any day... :)
                          the reality with attics are that no matter if it's humid heat or dry heat you still have a lot of it in the attic during the summer and that's what makes it expensive to keep a house cool... especially if it's a 1 story with a low roof... so it's important to keep air moving inside the attic so it's not as hot and stuffy and sprinklers can't do that (move air around)... instead of spending money on a sprinkler system, get some PV solar panels which absorb the heat in a good way and make electricity so it'll eventually pay for itself... there are also federal tax credits to make the cost less impacting to your finances... above all, make sure there is adequate insulation in the attic... that in itself will make a big difference as well and while the roof is off, that could be a good time to look into the top of the walls to see what that insulation is like inside the walls... I don't know how old the home is or the set up is between the roof and the top of the walls so I don't actually know how feasible that would be...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 22, 2006
                        Is solar screen also effective in reducing AC consumption of electricity?

                        Tai Hong

                        Karl Rabago <krabago@...> wrote:
[...]

                        Yahoo! Mail

                      • refuge@wt.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 22, 2006
                          solar screen is effective in windows that are mainly on east/west side of your
                          home or business that get direct sunlight. the only con is how ugly they
                          look... getting good 2" or similar blinds are also effective... miniblinds are
                          a joke. later