Re: [hreg] Re: Solar economics

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 20, 2000
      Hi Jim , I agree with your approach, you've done the sensible things that
      make economic sense, and although they're not solar per se, the first step
      in utilizing solar has ALWAYS been to reduce your load. This applies to my
      industrial customers as well.
      Many of them have learned that by cycling certain loads and conserving power
      they can reduce the solar array by a factor of 5 or 10. This might mean a
      smaller solar system, but lots more of them.
      A solar powered attic vent fan is a very good example of how a small solar
      appliance can reduce the load on a much larger one - the air conditioner.
      The solar vent fan in Fredricksburg was decent quality, but a lot of solar
      gizmo's are inherently poor quality, comparable to toys. When you buy solar
      landscape lights and such you will probably be disappointed in the poor
      light output compared to std. landscape lighting. Most of them fail within
      a year or two, and I am convinced they build them knowing the American
      consumer is somewhat tolerant of poor quality products and seldom exercises
      his warranty rights on products inder $100. Maybe I'm getting cynical in my
      old age, but it disappoints me to see the constant stream of hype and
      marketing bs that accompanies most solar products. The fact is few of them
      perform to the standards we hold other products to, and most of them exploit
      the public's natural friendliness toward solar energy.

      Don't take my comments wrong, you've done a good job in reducing your
      consumption in a sensible way, just be careful in what solar products you
      buy, and make sure it is for the right reason. Thanks for your input. Best
      regards, Kevin

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 20, 2000
        Good for you, Becky, the passive solar approach you've taken can be utilized
        to some degree by almost everyone in Texas.
        It may not be as exciting as using PV panels, but makes a lot of sense, is
        cost effective, and creates a more pleasant yard environment. We've done a
        lot of the same things on our home, including deciduous trees on the South
        side and enjoy lower utility bills as a result. We looked hard to find an
        energy efficient home to start with as well, and had the builder upgrade the
        AC unit as well. One thing that I did learn is that a lot of the high
        efficiency AC units are built better than lower efficiency ones and seem to
        last quite a bit longer with fewer maint and service problems. Good job.
        Regards, kevin

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 20, 2000
          Hi Becky,

          Can you post how you built your solar screens. I would like to do the same
          for my house.

          Thanks,
          Lisha Doucet

          >From: "Becky Merritt" <bmeritt@...>
          >To: <hreg@egroups.com>, <jksyzdek@...>
          >Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar economics
          >Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:05:56 -0500
          >
          >Jim,
          >
          >I agree with you that we need to reduce our existing use of energy. I
          >believe that the key to using solar energy successfully is to first become
          >as energy efficient as possible. To that end, some other things to think
          >about are using landscaping to block the sun in warm months and let it
          >shine through in the cold month (deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, for
          >ex). Plants can be put to use to encourage good air circulation around a
          >home, too. Don't forget that a yard full of grass has a cooling effect.
          >
          >Building an arbor or a patio cover on the east or west side of the house is
          >a good idea, too. My husband and I built an arbor on the east side, shading
          >our living room windows and planted wisteria vines. Now, we don't even need
          >window coverings on those windows. The living room is bright enough during
          >the day that we don't need to turn on lights, either. It also keeps our
          >carpet and upholstery from fadiing.
          >
          >Remember to check seals around doors and windows, and add more insulation
          >in the attic if it is warranted. I have seen solar powered roof vents for
          >sale. I'm going to look into getting one for my garage. ( I already have an
          >electric roof vent for the house)
          >
          >The solar sun screens are beneficial, as they block some of the sun's
          >energy before it enters the home. I made 14 screens for my house, and saved
          >a lot of money by doing it myself. (The less expense, the quicker the
          >payoff time) I take the screens down in the cold months and put them back
          >up when it gets warm again.
          >
          >If you are just building a house, orientation is critical. A North facing
          >orientation is probably ideal. Remember, though, that you want it to face
          >due north, not magnetic north for maximum efficiency.
          >
          >These are just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
          >Good luck!
          >
          >Becky Merritt

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Ida G Morello
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
            Please do not send any further info.
            Thanx.. tmm

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
              Please do not send any further info,,, Thanx, tmm

              > Can you post how you built your solar screens. I would like to do the same
              > for my house.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Lisha Doucet
              >

              > >From: "Becky Merritt" <bmeritt@...>
              > >To: <hreg@egroups.com>, <jksyzdek@...>
              > >Subject: [hreg] Re: Solar economics
              > >Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:05:56 -0500
              > >
              > >Jim,
              > >
              > >I agree with you that we need to reduce our existing use of energy. I
              > >believe that the key to using solar energy successfully is to first
              become
              > >as energy efficient as possible. To that end, some other things to think
              > >about are using landscaping to block the sun in warm months and let it
              > >shine through in the cold month (deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, for
              > >ex). Plants can be put to use to encourage good air circulation around a
              > >home, too. Don't forget that a yard full of grass has a cooling effect.
              > >
              > >Building an arbor or a patio cover on the east or west side of the house
              is
              > >a good idea, too. My husband and I built an arbor on the east side,
              shading
              > >our living room windows and planted wisteria vines. Now, we don't even
              need
              > >window coverings on those windows. The living room is bright enough
              during
              > >the day that we don't need to turn on lights, either. It also keeps our
              > >carpet and upholstery from fadiing.
              > >
              > >Remember to check seals around doors and windows, and add more insulation
              > >in the attic if it is warranted. I have seen solar powered roof vents for
              > >sale. I'm going to look into getting one for my garage. ( I already have
              an
              > >electric roof vent for the house)
              > >
              > >The solar sun screens are beneficial, as they block some of the sun's
              > >energy before it enters the home. I made 14 screens for my house, and sav
              ed
              > >a lot of money by doing it myself. (The less expense, the quicker the
              > >payoff time) I take the screens down in the cold months and put them back
              > >up when it gets warm again.
              > >
              > >If you are just building a house, orientation is critical. A North facing
              > >orientation is probably ideal. Remember, though, that you want it to face
              > >due north, not magnetic north for maximum efficiency.
              > >
              > >These are just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
              > >Good luck!
              > >
              > >Becky Merritt

              > http://profiles.msn.com

            • Ida G Morello
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
                Do Not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm

                > Good for you, Becky, the passive solar approach you've taken can be
                utilized
                > to some degree by almost everyone in Texas.
                > It may not be as exciting as using PV panels, but makes a lot of sense, is
                > cost effective, and creates a more pleasant yard environment. We've done a
                > lot of the same things on our home, including deciduous trees on the South
                > side and enjoy lower utility bills as a result. We looked hard to find an
                > energy efficient home to start with as well, and had the builder upgrade
                the
                > AC unit as well. One thing that I did learn is that a lot of the high
                > efficiency AC units are built better than lower efficiency ones and seem
                > last quite a bit longer with fewer maint and service problems. Good job.
                > Regards, kevin

              • Ida G Morello
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
> [...]

                  > but most people are attracted to the quick fix and seem to think that
                  > solar can offer a magic solution to their problems. The intuitive
                  > friendliness people seem to have towards solar has created a lot of
                  > opportunities for con artists in the past, and has left a lot of
                  > disappointed customers in their wake. I wish I had a better answer
                  > for them, but I have neither the time or patience to get into all
                  > the economic details of renewables, conservation, social costs,
                  > environmental impact, etc... This is why I chose to sell to industry,
                  > not consumers. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them
                  > completely, so I really don't know the best way to handle these
                  > inquiries other than to refer them to HREG, TX-SES or TREIA. Any
                  > thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone in HREG want to talk to these
                  > people, or have a better answer than I do? Keep up the good work!

                • Ida G Morello
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
                    Do not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm..

                    > I agree with you that we need to reduce our existing use of energy. I
                    believe that the key to using solar energy successfully is to first become
                    as energy efficient as possible. To that end, some other things to think
                    about are using landscaping to block the sun in warm months and let it shine
                    through in the cold month (deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, for ex).
                    Plants can be put to use to encourage good air circulation around a home,
                    too. Don't forget that a yard full of grass has a cooling effect.

                    > Building an arbor or a patio cover on the east or west side of the house
                    is a good idea, too. My husband and I built an arbor on the east side,
                    shading our living room windows and planted wisteria vines. Now, we don't
                    even need window coverings on those windows. The living room is bright
                    enough during the day that we don't need to turn on lights, either. It also
                    keeps our carpet and upholstery from fadiing.

                    > Remember to check seals around doors and windows, and add more insulation
                    in the attic if it is warranted. I have seen solar powered roof vents for
                    sale. I'm going to look into getting one for my garage. ( I already have an
                    electric roof vent for the house)

                    > The solar sun screens are beneficial, as they block some of the sun's
                    energy before it enters the home. I made 14 screens for my house, and saved
                    a lot of money by doing it myself. (The less expense, the quicker the payoff
                    time) I take the screens down in the cold months and put them back up when
                    it gets warm again.

                    > If you are just building a house, orientation is critical. A North facing
                    orientation is probably ideal. Remember, though, that you want it to face
                    due north, not magnetic north for maximum efficiency.

                    > These are just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
                    Good luck!

                    > Becky Merritt

                  • LENIO, JAMES A. (JIM) (JSC-DL4)
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                      Please remove me too from your email distribution. Thanks for all the good
                      info and insight.

                      Jim

> [...]

                      > but most people are attracted to the quick fix and seem to think that
                      > solar can offer a magic solution to their problems. The intuitive
                      > friendliness people seem to have towards solar has created a lot of
                      > opportunities for con artists in the past, and has left a lot of
                      > disappointed customers in their wake. I wish I had a better answer
                      > for them, but I have neither the time or patience to get into all
                      > the economic details of renewables, conservation, social costs,
                      > environmental impact, etc... This is why I chose to sell to industry,
                      > not consumers. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them
                      > completely, so I really don't know the best way to handle these
                      > inquiries other than to refer them to HREG, TX-SES or TREIA. Any
                      > thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone in HREG want to talk to these
                      > people, or have a better answer than I do? Keep up the good work!

                    • Marjorie N Wood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                        Maybe one thing all of us in regional groups could do would be to buy a
                        huge batch of CFs at wholesale and sell them at that price to
                        neighborhoods and members. Friday I went into a nice hardware and they
                        wanted $26 for a name brand compact fluorescent. I know we should be able
                        to do better than that.
                        Marge

                      • Steve Stelzer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                          IKEA has very reasonably priced compact fluorescents. Check them out.

                        • Dmeengr@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 25, 2000
                            Please discontinue using my old e-mail address

                            dmeengr@...

                            You may reach me at

                            dmeengr@...

                            David
                          • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000
                              Marjorie,
                              Home Depot has the swirling type of ligjts for around $8 -$9. These
                              lights use 15W for 60W equivalent light. They also have 20W size for 75W
                              equivalent light. They fit in the same space as a regular incadescent light
                              bulb in most applications. I have seen these same CFs at other stores also.
                              Jim

                              http://profiles.msn.com
                            • Marjorie N Wood
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000