Re: [hreg] Invest in Renewables or Oil?

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
      Good post.

      Current investment in oil is $10 trillion.
      So they need another $17 trillion for
      converting refineries to heavy oil, digging up tar sands with bulldozers, sequestration, etc?
      That's about $14,000 per American.
      $46,000 per family household.

      Just because the CEO of Shell says "global warming"
      doesn't mean the industry will include the cost of climate disruption in their product.
      http://www.energybulletin.net/12327.html

      The economic cost of extreme weather is rising rapidly.
      http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics/2001syr/small/08.17.jpg
      And promises to dwarf global income

      Well, let me translate:
      Cheap oil has peaked.  What is left is stuff that is hard to get out of the ground, devastates the environment where it is taken from, and puts even more pollution into our water and air.  The oil companies are going to fight to stay alive.   They need $17 trillion invested in the next 25 years to keep going; that would equal $60,000 from every American person (or $170,000 per household).  They are going to demand special tax relief and demand special investment incentives.  They are going to "ask" lawmakers to make laws that prevent "renewable energy" from becoming a threat to their market share.  This is money YOU will pay to get your gasoline and diesel (it is actually a small fraction of the money you will pay, since you also have to pay the operating cost in addition to the investment cost of producing the oil).  And, at the end of 2030, after having worked to make and give away all that money, you will have nothing except massive superfund sites, global warming, and a destroyed human habitat.

      Let me offer an alternative.  If the $17 trillion were invested in Renewable Energy, by 2030, everyone would have a healthy environment, and energy that would continue on for generations to come.  Imagine what you could do if you gave every american household $170,000 to spend on a solar/wind/geothermal/bio energy system.  Your choice is this - you can sit back and let the "Energy" companies enslave you and devestate your childrens' future, or you can fight for your energy independence.

      At 09:51 PM 1/30/2006, Roxanne Boyer wrote:
      Let me tell you what Jeroen Van der Veer, chief executive of Royal Dutch Shell, published in London's Financial Times newspaper, Wednesday 25 January 2005, and what it means to YOU.

      "On top of concerns about high oil prices now comes the fear that we have reached “peak oil” and that global oil output will start to decline. Have we? ...No one should underestimate the energy challenge....My view is that “easy” oil has probably passed its peak. ...

      The challenge is to develop technology that can fuel growth without environmental degradation. That means ...accessing resources in challenging frontier environments such as the Arctic or in deep offshore waters... increase significantly the amount of conventional oil we recover from existing reservoirs... heavy oils and where oil is contained in sand and shales, contaminated and tight gas, and coal bed methane...The world will need these resources. But they are more carbon-intensive and increase the urgency of finding ways of tackling carbon emissions. ...

      One prerequisite to success is ensuring sufficient investment to access more difficult resources and undertake long-term technology development. The International Energy Agency estimates that meeting global energy needs will require investing more than $17,000bn by 2030. Given the urgent investment needs, exacting windfall taxes is counterproductive, particularly in an industry with a history of volatile prices. "

[...]

      Houston texas attorney Houston texas bankruptcy lawyer Houston texas web site design
      Houston texas mover Houston texas swimming pool builder Houston texas apartment

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Nan Hildreth  NanHildreth@...
      713-842-6643  713-443-3104

      Hurricanes are getting stronger as sea surface temperatures go up, according to recent science.
      Now we have almost twice as many category 4 & 5 hurricanes than 35 years ago.
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3302/07-hott-nf.html

      "Hurricane Rita transfixed meteorologists when it strengthened from Category 2 to 5 in less than 24 hours while moving over [a deep layer of 90 degree water in the Gulf of Mexico]"  Fortune Magazine 1/17/06 "Cloudy with a Chance of Chaos". http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/17/news/economy/climate_fortune/

      The good news is 196 Mayors have pledged to protect the climate.
      http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/climate/default.htm#who