Re: HREG Goals

  • farmerportia
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Boyer <chris.rox@s...> wrote:

      > Happy New Year 2006 to all of You.
      >
      > With the coming year, its time to make goals, and included in
      that is goals for HREG. In the past, HREG has been a passive group,
      a local section of the Tx Solar Energy Society. Our impact has
      included: solar education programs at schools, Earth Day
      presentations, quarterly meetings, this WEB chat page, and the Solar
      Home Tour.

      > Should we do more? Most of us are following the growing concern
      about the end of cheap fossil fuels and the onset of a dangerous
      climate change. I think most people don't do anything to change
      because they don't know any other direction. The fossil fuel
      industry does not want to lose their captive market, so naturally,
      they are fighting against change. Renewable energy is a solution,
      and a very exciting one. We need to get the message out. Please
      let us know what you would like to see from HREG, or if you are
      available to donate some time as an officer and help make an impact
      in this world.

      > Happy New Year!
      > Chris Boyer
      > HREG Vice President
      >Hello Chris,
      My name is Portia Leyendecker and I have just signed on as a new
      member.I am a full time Landscape Design/Installation Person by
      trade.Trying to learn as much as possible about Renwable energy.
      Finding myself drawn to the "FFV and Ethanol fuel" factor.
      There is a man in the UK that has created a group and they are
      actually using Ford Focus FFV's (from Brazil) and Ethanol/Petrol.
      As a whole community,like Southside place or the Heights.They found
      a local grain source and the support of many local people.
      Is this something that can be done here in Houston???

      Portia.
    • chasmauch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006

        I had a friend (now deceased) who was in World War II and he told me that toward the end of the war the Germans were basically out of gasoline, so they came up with an alternative that was not great but seemed to work. Some of their vehicles had a vessel mounted on the rear that served as a kind of reactor. It was a form of pyrolysis that created a mixture of combustible gases including H2, CO, CO2, CH4, plus water vapor and others. It worked on biomass of any kind - you could pull up grass by the side of the road, twigs, or anything organic to put in the reactor.

        I had forgotten about it until discussions on this list, peak oil etc brought up some various energy sources, and I did a quick google on pyrolysis. Apparently there are quite a few companies working on this technology, primarily in Europe with the Brits and the Germans. It also generates a liquid fuel of some sort, some sludge, tar, and other byproducts. A good basic description of the process with diagrams of reactor products, equipment, etc can be found at the website of a company named Biomass Technology Group at   . I'm sure there are quite a few others.

        Is anyone familiar with this process, how close it is to being economical, what companies are doing it (possible speculative investment) and so on? Might it be of interest to us?

        Charlie
      • J. P. Malone
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
          Re goals for HREG.

          I believe the group needs to set proactive political goals. To get involved
          in the politics of getting more government funding & tax credits for
          renewable energy. Form a PAC and join with other group to lobby for
          funding. The squeaky wheel gets the oil (or methanol). We all read of the
          need for a "Manhattan Project" on renewable energy, meanwhile the big
          international oil companies get huge tax relief measures past in congress.
          Their tax relief in 2005 is larger than the total funding for renewable
          energy.

          We (HREG) spend a lot of time "preaching to the choir" (our members).
          This is a big issue & needs big funding if progress is to be made in our
          lifetime. AIDS funding skyrocketed past other health problems which are
          much more deadly because its participants "worked the system" to get
          funding. We should follow their example.

          We can change light bulbs, plant shrubs, collect rainwater.... That is all
          worthwhile, however, not massive in scope.

          If you are dead serious about renewable energy, you need a proactive
          political goal set.

          J. Patrick Malone

          > With the coming year, its time to make goals, and included in
          that is goals for HREG. In the past, HREG has been a passive group,
          a local section of the Tx Solar Energy Society. Our impact has
          included: solar education programs at schools, Earth Day
          presentations, quarterly meetings, this WEB chat page, and the Solar
          Home Tour.

          > Should we do more? Most of us are following the growing concern
          about the end of cheap fossil fuels and the onset of a dangerous
          climate change. I think most people don't do anything to change
          because they don't know any other direction. The fossil fuel
          industry does not want to lose their captive market, so naturally,
          they are fighting against change. Renewable energy is a solution,
          and a very exciting one. We need to get the message out. Please
          let us know what you would like to see from HREG, or if you are
          available to donate some time as an officer and help make an impact
          in this world.

          > Happy New Year!
          > Chris Boyer
          > HREG Vice President
          >Hello Chris,
          My name is Portia Leyendecker and I have just signed on as a new
          member.I am a full time Landscape Design/Installation Person by
          trade.Trying to learn as much as possible about Renwable energy.
          Finding myself drawn to the "FFV and Ethanol fuel" factor.
          There is a man in the UK that has created a group and they are
          actually using Ford Focus FFV's (from Brazil) and Ethanol/Petrol.
          As a whole community,like Southside place or the Heights.They found
          a local grain source and the support of many local people.
          Is this something that can be done here in Houston???

          Portia.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • J. P. Malone
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006

            During World War II in the Philippines either the Japanese or private Filipinos developed a reactor that worked very similar, or just like, this.  Gasoline was in such short supply that private automobile travel was virtually forbidden in the last year or so of the war, so everyone had to use animal-driven transports or public transportation, i.e. busses.  All (as far as I know) busses in the Philippines were then fitted out with reactor engines that could be fueled by a variety of organic matter, but coconut shells (abundant in the Philippines) were found to produce the best result.  The technology of the time resulted in very underpowered busses that sometimes required the passengers to get off so the bus could get to the top of a hill, but nonetheless it worked and public transportation in the Philippines ran for several years without gasoline, as I understand it.  But I suspect that these engines put out a certain amount of pollutants.

            J. Patrick Malone

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
              At 10:04 AM 1/3/2006, farmerportia wrote:
              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Boyer <chris.rox@s...> wrote:

              ><snip> Finding myself drawn to the "FFV and Ethanol fuel" factor.
              There is a man in the UK that has created a group and they are
              actually using Ford Focus FFV's (from Brazil) and Ethanol/Petrol.
              As a whole community,like Southside place or the Heights.They found
              a local grain source and the support of many local people.
              Is this something that can be done here in Houston???

              While I believe biofuels will be used, it seems there won't ever be enough to prevent changing our mobility methods.
              http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/SecondPage.html#anchor_92

              There are two more Houston lists to ask these questions
              Houston Peak Oil http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/houstonpeakoil
              and MovingHouston, http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/MovingHouston

              Nan Hildreth, Houston
              713-842-6643   NanHildreth@...
              713-443-3104 cell
              3939 Luca St.
              Houston, Tx 77021

            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                I respect this opinion, but am putting in my 2 cents worth: I prefer HREG
                to remain strictly non-political, focused on education and information
                sharing amongst members and between members and the public. Once you become
                political, you alienate a sizeable number of potential contacts.

                I also think that, as so aptly illustrated in the example JPM gives,
                political activism MIGHT be successful in achieving a particular goal, but
                that doesn't necessarily mean that limited resources have been distributed
                in the most cost-effective way.

                Robert Johnston
                (no doubt a minority view, but thanks for listening)

              • blpasemann
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                  I am fairly new to this group, but I wouldn't mind seeing more
                  training sessions on RE, solar installs, Solar hot water installs,
                  Bio-Diesel, etc. I would like to do my own, but would rather see
                  training in action for free or cheap to understand the many facets
                  involved. And for you guys with RE companies that do work on the
                  weekends, I could be available to help out just to see and learn.

                  Also, there is so much info out there, maybe have some general or
                  intro talks for new members as they come on. For me, I am interested
                  in building options of new homes and also, what's best for upgrades to
                  existing homes to get the most bang for the buck.

                  PS. After doing some minor improvements around the house, this past
                  months electric bill has been the lowest ever for me ($67) and the
                  previous lowest ones ($80) where when electricity was around 8
                  cents/KWH. I added cellulous insulation in the attic, changed to all
                  CFL light bulbs, put up a clothes line and be more aware of lights on.
                  That's it. I have an old, 1200 sq ft house with old windows, old AC,
                  propane, etc.

                  Thanx
                  Brady Pasemann
                  832-594-5658

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Boyer <chris.rox@s...> wrote:

                  > Happy New Year 2006 to all of You.
                  >
                  > With the coming year, its time to make goals, and included in that
                  is goals for HREG. In the past, HREG has been a passive group, a
                  local section of the Tx Solar Energy Society. Our impact has
                  included: solar education programs at schools, Earth Day
                  presentations, quarterly meetings, this WEB chat page, and the Solar
                  Home Tour.

                  > Should we do more? Most of us are following the growing concern
                  about the end of cheap fossil fuels and the onset of a dangerous
                  climate change. I think most people don't do anything to change
                  because they don't know any other direction. The fossil fuel industry
                  does not want to lose their captive market, so naturally, they are
                  fighting against change. Renewable energy is a solution, and a very
                  exciting one. We need to get the message out. Please let us know
                  what you would like to see from HREG, or if you are available to
                  donate some time as an officer and help make an impact in this world.

                  > Happy New Year!
                  > Chris Boyer
                  > HREG Vice President

                • Lisa Delaune
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                    I too am new to this group. My husband and I would also like to see "do it yourself" demos for free or cheap.

                    Thanks.

                    Lisa Delaune

                    I am fairly new to this group, but I wouldn't mind seeing more
                    training sessions on RE, solar installs, Solar hot water installs,
                    Bio-Diesel, etc. I would like to do my own, but would rather see
                    training in action for free or cheap to understand the many facets
                    involved. And for you guys with RE companies that do work on the
                    weekends, I could be available to help out just to see and learn.

                    Also, there is so much info out there, maybe have some general or
                    intro talks for new members as they come on. For me, I am interested
                    in building options of new homes and also, what's best for upgrades to
                    existing homes to get the most bang for the buck.

                    PS. After doing some minor improvements around the house, this past
                    months electric bill has been the lowest ever for me ($67) and the
                    previous lowest ones ($80) where when electricity was around 8
                    cents/KWH. I added cellulous insulation in the attic, changed to all
                    CFL light bulbs, put up a clothes line and be more aware of lights on.
                    That's it. I have an old, 1200 sq ft house with old windows, old AC,
                    propane, etc.

                    Thanx
                    Brady Pasemann
                    832-594-5658

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Boyer <chris.rox@s...> wrote:

                    > Happy New Year 2006 to all of You.
                    >
                    > With the coming year, its time to make goals, and included in that
                    is goals for HREG. In the past, HREG has been a passive group, a
                    local section of the Tx Solar Energy Society. Our impact has
                    included: solar education programs at schools, Earth Day
                    presentations, quarterly meetings, this WEB chat page, and the Solar
                    Home Tour.

                    > Should we do more? Most of us are following the growing concern
                    about the end of cheap fossil fuels and the onset of a dangerous
                    climate change. I think most people don't do anything to change
                    because they don't know any other direction. The fossil fuel industry
                    does not want to lose their captive market, so naturally, they are
                    fighting against change. Renewable energy is a solution, and a very
                    exciting one. We need to get the message out. Please let us know
                    what you would like to see from HREG, or if you are available to
                    donate some time as an officer and help make an impact in this world.

                    > Happy New Year!
                    > Chris Boyer
                    > HREG Vice President

                    Yahoo! Groups Links