Indoor Air Quality

  • mcfarlandaia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005

      I have seen most of this discussion on Indoor Air quality focuse on diet. Wow!  I know there are some really educated people in this group who know al ot about indoor air pollution, problems with mold and poor ventilation, and inadequate air handling system concerns. Where does food play such a huge role with Indoor Air Quality? Certainly, some of the conversation was about boosting the immune system. Without knowing all the facts about the children in question, I could not make a recommendation in that regard.

      But indoor air quality and "sick building syndrome" is a concern of mine and an interest that I read and research (since I too have been a victim). There are experts out there and places to test materials and companies who will clean out your air ducts. I was hoping to hear more about that.

      Thank you,
      Shawn McFarland, AIA, LEED AP
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005

        You may wish to read the original post again; it said it was somewhat off-topic but asked for solutions, without being restrictive to air quality alone, and it mentioned diet.  I answered in the spirit of trying to help him identify possible solutions, not just talking about air quality.

        The author of the original request only described the symptoms briefly, and it would be premature to jump to conclusions regarding the cause.  It COULD be sick building syndrome, indoor pollution, etc.  But it could also be other factors.  Allergies are not restricted to air pollutants.  Many young children are allergic to milk products and experience symptoms similar to what J.P. Malone described.  As I said in the email, it is off-topic, but I was trying to help the author find a solution to his problem based on my own family/friends’ experience.  (I am not a doctor).  I readily agree that there could be other causes and solutions.  Dietary change is just so easy and inexpensive to try, I thought it might be worth mentioning.  My daughter had endless earaches, colds, etc., until at age 2 when we put her on a dairy-free diet and immediately the problems went away.  Much better than the antibiotics she was having and doctor’s office visits every 6-8 weeks.  Perhaps unpasteurized milk has similar benefits; I have no personal experience, but it sounds like Kim has.  I’ve heard that goat’s milk also is helpful.  We switched to soymilk and rice milk and eliminated the problem.  We had friends with older children (first grade) and they were having similar problems, and eliminating milk solved the problem.  They got the school to give orange juice instead of milk in the meals for their child.

        I apologize for being off-topic.

        Robert