Green business directory

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
      Austin has a green business directory, but Houston does not. Brian
      Herod, leader of Houston Sustainability Network has just put up a
      website to connect green buyers with green business. Please add your
      green business to the list.
      http://www.greenhoustonconnection.com/business.htm

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
      713-443-3104 cell
      3939 Luca St.
      Houston, Tx 77021
    • chasmauch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
        In a message dated 12/5/05 11:24:49 A.M. Central Standard Time, nanhildreth@... writes:
        Austin has a green business directory, but Houston does not.   Brian
        Herod, leader of Houston Sustainability Network has just put up a
        website to connect green buyers with green business.  Please add your
        green business to the list.
        http://www.greenhoustonconnection.com/business.htm
        Austin also has a directory of locally owned businesses that people use to avoid doing business with globalization giants like Wal Mart, McDonalds, etc. who have no loyalty to the community or its local employees and send their profits out of state rather than keeping the money circulating locally. There is likely to be a good (but probably not perfect) correlation between the green businesses and the locally owned. We need both here in Houston and it would be great if we could combine them. If a business is both green and locally owned it would be doubly deserving of going out of our way and even paying a bit more if necessary to trade with them.
      • John Miggins
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
          We just finished up our Green Directory here in Tulsa Oklahoma and it was a
          lot of work but very rewarding.
          Sustainable Tulsa did it and plan an annual one.
          It will be online in January and it is 130 pages!
          www.sustainabletulsa.org

          The graphic department of the University of Tulsa is doing the work for us
          collaborating and organizing it as a project. We sold ad space and are
          charging $1.00 for it, will see how it goes. I have had a green directory
          from I believe the CEC at one time in the past in Houston, they had a list
          of environmental organizations that is similiar.

          There was also a for profit group going around and doing them I recall.
          someone or some group needs to take ownership of it and groups such a HREG
          or some other non profit are likely candidates.

          I would support it.

          John Miggins
          Harvest Solar & Wind Power
          "renewable solutions to everyday needs"