RE: [hreg] Re: [ok-sus] GM PLANT IS CLOSING-Buy Green and Local

  • J. P. Malone
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005

      Nice thoughts.  However, the root problem is political.  Until the Green people block vote, and mass mail their political leaders at all levels (local, state, federal) on a weekly basis, the rest is just dreaming.  The squeaking wheel gets the grease in America .  The effort is too splintered and therefore lacks priorities.

      If you really want any of these things done, organize politically.  In the interim, vote with your pocket book.

      J. Patrick Malone

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005
        John:
        I was a part of GE in 80's when they told me that GE cared for its employees from cradle to grave. But after Reagan fired several thousand Air Traffic Controllers GE's Jack Welch was the first to get the green light to act upon that signal in order to get rid of the Unions, and I was part of the first 300 in Utica's Electronic Systems Department (mostly Radar and EW work) to be thrown out of the door, till the number of employees reached from about 5000 to about 1500, and then they sold the entire business to Lockheed-Martin. Now in Syracuse and Utica area one cannot find any trace of General Electric company other than the lightbulbs in a hardware store (like David Letterrman who made fun of GE when he was working at NBC about his bosses). The big corporations are calling the shots by outsourcing the manufacturing because of hassles with the unions and for low wages (without worrrying about health benefits for some worker in Timbaktoo). After the energy giant came to realize that Fossil Fuels are not going to last forever, immediately these big (SHELL, BP, and GE) started racing to buy up most Renewable Energy companies (SHELL & BP in Solar/PV, but GE in Solar-PV & Wind) to create a monopoly 85% of world's market, to dictate prices, which has also created virtual shortage of Silicon (to increase prices of Silicon PV Cells/Panels). Thus there was a ruch to search for alternate materials to meet the Silicon Shortage, and Phillips and Seimens were the poineers to look into applications of Conducting Polymers to exploit their electrical property of PhotoVoltaics and then the Japanese got into the act to bring up the efficiency from 3% to 7%. As others saw this, the Nobel Laureate, Richard Smalley at Rice University (discoiverer of Carbon Nanotubes or Bucky Balls) was funded by Exxon Mobil to join in persuining the composites made from Conducting Polymers and Carbon Nanotubes, which increased the efficiency from 7% to 10% almost at par with Amorphous Silicon. Knowing this a few Eurpean academics rushed to Massachussets to Start Konarka, and enhanced its capability by buying out the Seimens Research Division engaged in Polymer Solar Cell Technology. After attending the two Solar Conferences (pAris 2004, and Freiburg Germany, 2005), I learnt that Polymer Solar Cells and Solar Thermal technology will run parallel with Silicon. But since, Polymers are cheaper to produce, this technology will grow rapidly to meet the Energy demands. Konarka's first customer is US-DoD to acquire tents with integrated plastic solar sheets, ready to work immediately under the sun  in remote places. There are two more competitors in Palo Alto, Calif, but their work is a bit slow compared to Konarka's. Plastics Solar Panels (sheets) are cheaper to manufacture, and with 10% efficiency (as good as Amorphous technology) it will take off rapidly while companies produce more Silicon, but the price of Silicon Solar Cells will not come down as expected in the past because of scarcity of Silicon, and the energy extensive process of extracting Silicon from Quartz sand. Man is ingenious and innovative!

        Bashir A. Syed
        Vice President, R&D
        EnerTech Enterprises, Inc
        Houston, TX 77058

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005
          Thanks Bashir, that is great information and insight.
          I too believe in Man's ingenuity and ability to master his environment.  It is time that we start this process and become more proactive and opinionated or what is right and what we want. All is not glum, after all the sun is coming up again tomorrow morning.

          Happy Holidays

          "If not us, who, If not now, when?
          Shall we begin....

          John Miggins

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2005
            I have one comment on this. Put out an American made Fullsize SUV
            getting 30+ miles per gallon, you couldn't make enough and wouldn't
            have to worry about layoffs or sales. Your only problem would be
            controlling the crowds trying to crame into your store to purchase
            one, including my self.

            brady

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@c...> wrote:

            > Thanks Bashir, that is great information and insight.
            > I too believe in Man's ingenuity and ability to master his
            environment. It is time that we start this process and become more
            proactive and opinionated or what is right and what we want. All is
            not glum, after all the sun is coming up again tomorrow morning.

            > Happy Holidays
            >

            > "If not us, who, If not now, when?
            > Shall we begin....
            >
            > John Miggins