RE: [hreg] New Home

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005

      I was at GreenBuild 2005 in Atlanta last week. Excellent sustainability/green conference with 10,000 attendees seeing very fine educational sessions, exhibits, and evening events. Next year in Denver – everybody is invited.

      Many of the sessions I attended had to do with energy design approaches and tools.  The most easily accessible were the “Energy Star” tools and programs.  The latest approach is label that read something like “Built to be an Energy Star Home”. This label is placed in the construction drawing title block. It is based on a design getting a passing “Energy Star” grade as defined by modeling software. The home is then built and monitored for one year. Positive performance for a year earns the “Energy Star” label.

      Since this is an active and growing program (that I think will become the norm within a few years) you should be able to start at the www.EnergyStar.gov  web link to

      NEW HOMES

      Make your next home ENERGY STAR

      Find Local Homebuilders and other partners

      Past success in this search for a ‘ready’ Energy Star home, if you decide you want to design/build an Energy Star house, I would be happy to link you with several like-minded area architects (for whom I provide these services – Engineering: foundations & frame design/inspection, wind storm design/inspection; Consulting: low energy building systems, energy modeling, alternate HVAC/on-site power systems, AutoCAD).

      Good Luck

      Gary Beck, P.E.

      Eco-Holdings LLC

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd Suite 114