Sunballs - local reps wanted

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
      Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
      better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
      months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
      selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/

      I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
      better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
      713-443-3104 cell
      3939 Luca St.
      Houston, Tx 77021
    • blpasemann
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
        I looked at the website and it looks very promising. I can't wait to
        try one out. Anyone in Houston sign up for being a dealer?

        thanx
        brady

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@r...> wrote:

        > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
        > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
        > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
        > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
        >
        > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
        > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
        >

        > Nan Hildreth, Houston
        > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@r...
        > 713-443-3104 cell
        > 3939 Luca St.
        > Houston, Tx 77021

      • Nan Hildreth
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
          I made a mistake in my figuring. 17 to 20 year payback, not 2 year payback.

          Fred Huette on the Sierra list said "No bad, but no marketing and
          support network."

          Still I want to dabble with solar if I can figure out where to put
          it. Trees, shade. These are smaller, right? So I would have to
          chop fewer trees, right?

          Nan

          At 02:17 PM 11/18/2005, you wrote:
          >I looked at the website and it looks very promising. I can't wait to
          >try one out. Anyone in Houston sign up for being a dealer?
          >
          >thanx
          >brady
          >
          >--- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@r...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
          > > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
          > > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
          > > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
          > >
          > > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
          > > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
          > >

          > > Nan Hildreth, Houston
          > > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@r...
          > > 713-443-3104 cell
          > > 3939 Luca St.
          > > Houston, Tx 77021
          > >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Nan Hildreth, Houston
          713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
          713-443-3104 cell
          3939 Luca St.
          Houston, Tx 77021
        • Roxanne Boyer
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
            Interesting design.  It goes to show that new ideas and products will be popping up.  The Solar Ball looks to bulky to put on a roof (it would blow off), but it could go on the ground.  It stated a cost of ~$3-4/W, which is almost the same as flat panels, so I don't see the economic advantage.  The goal is $1/W to be competitively economical (that was based on $0.10/kWh).

            Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@...> wrote:
            I made a mistake in my figuring.  17 to 20 year payback, not 2 year payback.

            Fred Huette on the Sierra list said "No bad, but no marketing and
            support network."

            Still I want to dabble with solar if I can figure out where to put
            it.   Trees, shade.   These are smaller, right?  So I would have to
            chop fewer trees, right?

            Nan

            At 02:17 PM 11/18/2005, you wrote:
            >I looked at the website and it looks very promising.  I can't wait to
            >try one out.  Anyone in Houston sign up for being a dealer?
            >
            >thanx
            >brady
            >
            >--- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@r...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%),  work
            > > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
            > > months.     Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
            > > selling their product.  http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
            > >
            > > I want a couple.    With federal tax credit they seem to have a
            > > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge.  (1.5 or 2 years).
            > >

            > > Nan Hildreth, Houston
            > > 713-842-6643   NanHildreth@r...
            > > 713-443-3104 cell
            > > 3939 Luca St.
            > > Houston, Tx 77021
            > >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Nan Hildreth, Houston
            713-842-6643   NanHildreth@...
            713-443-3104 cell
            3939 Luca St.
            Houston, Tx 77021

          • Steven Deterling
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
              This item really intrigued me, so I ran it by a friend at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL). Here's what he had to say:

              The Ball that they are proposing is a solar concentrator.  The flat "fresnel" lens basicly focuses light on a small solar cell in the middle.  The small cell is probably made out of a high efficientcy material that can get 35 percent efficiency.  The general term for this type of system is "concentrated solar power."  The concentrator has to track the sun all day to keep the light focused on the cell.  The novel thing they have done is to make it into a ball shape.  Most concentrators look like troughs or like antennas,  not balls.   The ball formation does keep the solar cell clean! you would only have to keep lens clean.

              One warning about these systems.  They only work when there are no clouds.   Diffuse light does not concentrate, so in Houston this may not be the best choice.   I know "amorphous silicon" tends to do better than most solar cells in diffuse light.  But then again in Houston you need the energy the most when it is a hot sunny day.

              BTW this system still needs to have an inverter etc... to convert DC solar to AC for your house.

              Over 10 million children die from preventable or treatable diseases
              every year. Urge Congress to act today: http://go.care2.com/childact

              http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps charities.
            • Lunce
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
                Thanks Steven!

                Steven Deterling wrote:

                >This item really intrigued me, so I ran it by a friend at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL). Here's what he had to say:
                >

                >The Ball that they are proposing is a solar concentrator. The flat "fresnel" lens basicly focuses light on a small solar cell in the middle. The small cell is probably made out of a high efficientcy material that can get 35 percent efficiency. The general term for this type of system is "concentrated solar power." The concentrator has to track the sun all day to keep the light focused on the cell. The novel thing they have done is to make it into a ball shape. Most concentrators look like troughs or like antennas, not balls. The ball formation does keep the solar cell clean! you would only have to keep lens clean.
                >
                >One warning about these systems. They only work when there are no clouds. Diffuse light does not concentrate, so in Houston this may not be the best choice. I know "amorphous silicon" tends to do better than most solar cells in diffuse light. But then again in Houston you need the energy the most when it is a hot sunny day.
                >
                >BTW this system still needs to have an inverter etc... to convert DC solar to AC for your house.
                >

                >Over 10 million children die from preventable or treatable diseases
                >every year. Urge Congress to act today: http://go.care2.com/childact
                >
                >http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps charities.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Nan Hildreth
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
                  At 09:54 AM 11/19/2005, Steven Deterling wrote:
                  >One warning about these systems. They only work when there are no
                  >clouds. Diffuse light does not concentrate, so in Houston this may
                  >not be the best choice.

                  But they say the design cools the chip better than panels. Houston's hot.

                  Nan Hildreth, Houston
                  713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                  713-443-3104 cell
                  3939 Luca St.
                  Houston, Tx 77021
                • John Miggins
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
                    I would put my money in flat panels, this way you are buying the solar
                    capability and not a small solar panel and a way to concentrate it. What
                    does concentrating do to the panel warranty? What about heat, also it looks
                    very unsturdy, ie could have wind problems.

                    There were some concentrator system available and actually some utilities
                    did them back in the 70's and 80's but they did not last. The plastic on
                    the lens, even if UV tolerant can yellow and diminish the effect of
                    concentrator, not unlike the cheap solar lights for the front yard that
                    yellow and crack after 3 years

                    Better yet, with the solar tax credits, we have a package that is much more
                    effective on savings than pure solar electric and save from 20 to 40% on
                    energy costs. Details offline but, it consists of the following items
                    packaged as an energy saving group you can pick from an mix and match to
                    impact all 4 of your main energy needs, Heating, cooling, hot water and
                    electricity.

                    Solar Water Heater
                    Solar Air Heater
                    Skylight
                    Attic Fan
                    Lighting package
                    Plug in heater or heated Ceiling fan
                    Small back-up solar system (depending on size could be more)
                    Sol Cool Air conditioner- (extra)

                    $7500

                    John Miggins
                    www.harvest-energy.com
                    Harvest Solar Energy
                    877-743-2299

                    "If not us, who, If not now, when?
                    Shall we begin....

                    > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                    > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                    > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                    > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                    >
                    > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                    > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                    >

                    > Nan Hildreth, Houston
                    > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                    > 713-443-3104 cell
                    > 3939 Luca St.
                    > Houston, Tx 77021
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Paul Archer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                      I just ran across this in my personal archive of the list. I've checked the
                      website, and it looks like they are indeed offering systems for sale now.
                      In fact, they are offering 3KW systems (3KW inverter plus either 9x330w
                      SunCubes or 20x150w SunCubes) for AU $10,680. That's about US $8000--plus
                      shipping, of course.

                      Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a ballpark on what a traditional
                      (large panel) 3KW system runs?

                      Paul

                      Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:

                      > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                      > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                      > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                      > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                      >
                      > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                      > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                      >

                      > Nan Hildreth, Houston
                      > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                      > 713-443-3104 cell
                      > 3939 Luca St.
                      > Houston, Tx 77021
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      "I'd cry/cry for the future/but I wouldn't get anything done."
                      ----------------------Hunters + Collectors--------------------
                    • Steven Shepard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                        We offer a 3500Watt for $27,500.00.

                        >I just ran across this in my personal archive of the list. I've checked the
                        >website, and it looks like they are indeed offering systems for sale now.
                        >In fact, they are offering 3KW systems (3KW inverter plus either 9x330w
                        >SunCubes or 20x150w SunCubes) for AU $10,680. That's about US $8000--plus
                        >shipping, of course.
                        >
                        >Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a ballpark on what a traditional
                        >(large panel) 3KW system runs?
                        >

                        >Paul
                        >

                        >Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:
                        >
                        >> Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                        >> better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                        >> months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                        >> selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                        >>
                        >> I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                        >> better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                        >>

                        >> Nan Hildreth, Houston
                        >> 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                        >> 713-443-3104 cell
                        >> 3939 Luca St.
                        >> Houston, Tx 77021
                        >>

                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        SBT Designs
                        25581 IH-10 West
                        San Antonio, Texas 78257
                        (210) 698-7109
                        www.sbtdesigns.com
                      • Paul Archer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                          I almost forgot: does anyone have information (perhaps a link to a website)
                          on payback information for PV in Houston? I just need something that links
                          electricity prices, inverter efficiencies (etc) and average sunshine figures
                          so I can get an idea how long the payback would be on one of these systems.

                          Paul

                          11:39am, Paul Archer wrote:

                          > I just ran across this in my personal archive of the list. I've checked the
                          > website, and it looks like they are indeed offering systems for sale now.
                          > In fact, they are offering 3KW systems (3KW inverter plus either 9x330w
                          > SunCubes or 20x150w SunCubes) for AU $10,680. That's about US $8000--plus
                          > shipping, of course.
                          >
                          > Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a ballpark on what a traditional
                          > (large panel) 3KW system runs?
                          >

                          > Paul
                          >

                          > Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:
                          >
                          >> Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                          >> better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                          >> months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                          >> selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                          >>
                          >> I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                          >> better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                          >>

                          >> Nan Hildreth, Houston
                          >> 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                          >> 713-443-3104 cell
                          >> 3939 Luca St.
                          >> Houston, Tx 77021
                          >>

                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                          I judge a religion as being good or bad
                          based on whether its adherents become
                          better people as a result of practicing it.
                          - Joe Mullally, computer salesman
                        • Edward Kramer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                            Paul,

                              The solar calculator says our average production rate is 4.898 hours a day. Be aware of the Federal income tax credit, 30% residential (2000.00) ceiling and unlimited for commercial. If you lived in Austin, you could get a rebate of 4.00 a watt!

                            11:39am, Paul Archer wrote:

                            > I just ran across this in my personal archive of the list. I've checked the
                            > website, and it looks like they are indeed offering systems for sale now.
                            > In fact, they are offering 3KW systems (3KW inverter plus either 9x330w
                            > SunCubes or 20x150w SunCubes) for AU $10,680. That's about US $8000--plus
                            > shipping, of course.
                            >
                            > Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a ballpark on what a traditional
                            > (large panel) 3KW system runs?
                            >

                            > Paul
                            >

                            > Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:
                            >
                            >> Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%),  work
                            >> better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                            >> months.     Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                            >> selling their product.  http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                            >>
                            >> I want a couple.    With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                            >> better payback than getting a new Sears fridge.  (1.5 or 2 years).
                            >>

                            >> Nan Hildreth, Houston
                            >> 713-842-6643   NanHildreth@...
                            >> 713-443-3104 cell
                            >> 3939 Luca St.
                            >> Houston, Tx 77021
                            >>

                            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            I judge a religion as being good or bad
                            based on whether its adherents become
                            better people as a result of practicing it.
                            - Joe Mullally, computer salesman

                          • Andrew McCalla
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                              Paul,

                              I couldn't tell from their website, but do they have a product yet?

                              If so, could you link me directly to documentation on it? All I could find
                              in my preliminary perusal was some sketches and models.

                              Andrew H. McCalla
                              NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                              Meridian Energy Systems
                              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                              Austin, TX 78704

                              Voice: (512) 448-0055
                              Fax: (512) 448-0045
                              www.meridiansolar.com

                              Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:

                              > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                              > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                              > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                              > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                              >
                              > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                              > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                              >

                              > Nan Hildreth, Houston
                              > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                              > 713-443-3104 cell
                              > 3939 Luca St.
                              > Houston, Tx 77021
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Kevin L. Conlin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                                I wouldn't run out and buy some quite yet. I haven't had a chance to
                                thoroughly check out their web site, but it seems to have a lot of hype, and
                                few facts. Their home page touts a 1200 sq meter home that produces 2MW per
                                month, but there are no photo's. I looked at some of the construction
                                details of their system, and it definitely is not designed to last 25 years.
                                They also claim their system produces 5X flat panels, yet their production
                                numbers say a 330W system will produce 660kWh per year. Their numbers just
                                don't add up.
                                This would not be the first time a new solar product was oversold and over
                                -hyped, buyer beware, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

                                ________________________
                                Kevin Conlin
                                Solarcraft, Inc.
                                13130 Stafford Road, Suite 125
                                Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                                (281)495-0438
                                fax (281)495-0440
                                kconlin@...
                                www.solarcraft.net

                                Nov 2005, Nan Hildreth wrote:

                                > Compared to panels, sunballs are more efficient (33% vs 15%), work
                                > better in Houston's heat, should be available in a few
                                > months. Their website asks for solar dealers interested in
                                > selling their product. http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/
                                >
                                > I want a couple. With federal tax credit they seem to have a
                                > better payback than getting a new Sears fridge. (1.5 or 2 years).
                                >

                                > Nan Hildreth, Houston
                                > 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
                                > 713-443-3104 cell
                                > 3939 Luca St.
                                > Houston, Tx 77021
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Paul Archer
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                                  1:39pm, Kevin L. Conlin wrote:

                                  > I wouldn't run out and buy some quite yet. I haven't had a chance to
                                  > thoroughly check out their web site, but it seems to have a lot of hype, and
                                  > few facts. Their home page touts a 1200 sq meter home that produces 2MW per
                                  > month, but there are no photo's. I looked at some of the construction
                                  > details of their system, and it definitely is not designed to last 25 years.
                                  > They also claim their system produces 5X flat panels, yet their production
                                  > numbers say a 330W system will produce 660kWh per year. Their numbers just
                                  > don't add up.
                                  > This would not be the first time a new solar product was oversold and over
                                  > -hyped, buyer beware, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

                                  I agree with you that it's extremely important to be careful with a new
                                  vendor hyping a new product that's baded on a new technology.
                                  But the numbers you cite do actually add up. 330w times 5.5 hours usable sun
                                  a day times 365 days a year equals 660kwh.

                                  Paul

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                                    Hi Paul, You're right, those numbers do add up, but it is hardly 5 times
                                    the output of flat panels. In addition, that production would only occur in
                                    an ideal situation, with no derating for inverters or cell heating, which
                                    typically reduces output up to 20%. That is what made me think they weren't
                                    for real, any time you promise that kind of improvement over proven
                                    technology, I'm suspect.

                                    ________________________

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                                      2:50pm, Kevin L. Conlin wrote:

                                      > Hi Paul, You're right, those numbers do add up, but it is hardly 5 times
                                      > the output of flat panels.

                                      How do you measure "5 times the production of flat panels", though? I mean,
                                      330w of flat panel vs one 330w SolarCube unit is still 330 watts.
                                      I missed the claim on their website, so I don't know the context of this
                                      claim.

                                      In addition, that production would only occur in
                                      > an ideal situation, with no derating for inverters or cell heating, which
                                      > typically reduces output up to 20%. That is what made me think they weren't
                                      > for real, any time you promise that kind of improvement over proven
                                      > technology, I'm suspect.

                                      That's true, they're not taking system inneficiencies into account. They do
                                      talk about the fact that they're using triple junction solar cells, which
                                      have a much higher heat tolerance, and lose about .04% efficiency per degree
                                      celcius vs .50% per degree for silicon.

                                      Just to be clear: I'm not trying to cheerlead for them. I'm just trying to
                                      make sure we're on the same page.

                                      BTW, I found an article about another company developing a similar product:

                                      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/solar.html

                                      Paul
                                    • Kevin L. Conlin
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
                                        Hi Paul, Sorry, I don't have much time to get back into this, if you click
                                        onto their site and go to the Discussion Forum you will see a picture of
                                        their ball with the caption of 5X the production of flat panels for the same
                                        size. I think we are in agreement, for the same size aperture and same
                                        level of insolation, it will be impossible to out produce flat panels by a
                                        factor of 5. If you look at their logo, mascot or drawings, they are very
                                        amateurish, nothing I would post on a web site. Now they are claiming they
                                        can't produce the tight tolerance ball product, and have gone to the
                                        SunCube. The whole product, presentation and web site are very hokey in my
                                        opinion.

                                        Regards, Kevin

                                        ________________________
                                        Kevin Conlin
                                        Solarcraft, Inc.
                                        13130 Stafford Road, Suite 125
                                        Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                                        (281)495-0438
                                        fax (281)495-0440
                                        kconlin@...
                                        www.solarcraft.net

                                        > Hi Paul, You're right, those numbers do add up, but it is hardly 5 times
                                        > the output of flat panels.

                                        How do you measure "5 times the production of flat panels", though? I mean,
                                        330w of flat panel vs one 330w SolarCube unit is still 330 watts.
                                        I missed the claim on their website, so I don't know the context of this
                                        claim.

                                        In addition, that production would only occur in
                                        > an ideal situation, with no derating for inverters or cell heating, which
                                        > typically reduces output up to 20%. That is what made me think they
                                        weren't
                                        > for real, any time you promise that kind of improvement over proven
                                        > technology, I'm suspect.

                                        That's true, they're not taking system inneficiencies into account. They do
                                        talk about the fact that they're using triple junction solar cells, which
                                        have a much higher heat tolerance, and lose about .04% efficiency per degree

                                        celcius vs .50% per degree for silicon.

                                        Just to be clear: I'm not trying to cheerlead for them. I'm just trying to
                                        make sure we're on the same page.

                                        BTW, I found an article about another company developing a similar product:

                                        http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/solar.html

                                        Paul

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Michael Ewert
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 17, 2006
                                          I'm cautious too but I did see some concentrating PV systems at the ASES
                                          conference last year.

                                          We should remember that concentrating solar systems rely on direct solar
                                          radiation. Near the coast, we get a higher fraction of diffuse
                                          radiation as compared to Austin or El Paso. That doesn't mean it won't
                                          work here, but it's annual performance will be affected.