Re: [hreg] New Home

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
      Terry, the recent Round up in Fredericksbery TX was a huge success and there
      were several architect builders there that can help you. There are also
      many in Houston listed under green builders/architects.

      For a list of exhibitors at the roundup go to

      www.theroundup.org and check out the program

      regards

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
      www.harvest-energy.com
      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
      Cell: 918-521-6223

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005

        I was at GreenBuild 2005 in Atlanta last week. Excellent sustainability/green conference with 10,000 attendees seeing very fine educational sessions, exhibits, and evening events. Next year in Denver – everybody is invited.

        Many of the sessions I attended had to do with energy design approaches and tools.  The most easily accessible were the “Energy Star” tools and programs.  The latest approach is label that read something like “Built to be an Energy Star Home”. This label is placed in the construction drawing title block. It is based on a design getting a passing “Energy Star” grade as defined by modeling software. The home is then built and monitored for one year. Positive performance for a year earns the “Energy Star” label.

        Since this is an active and growing program (that I think will become the norm within a few years) you should be able to start at the www.EnergyStar.gov  web link to

        NEW HOMES

        Make your next home ENERGY STAR

        Find Local Homebuilders and other partners

        Past success in this search for a ‘ready’ Energy Star home, if you decide you want to design/build an Energy Star house, I would be happy to link you with several like-minded area architects (for whom I provide these services – Engineering: foundations & frame design/inspection, wind storm design/inspection; Consulting: low energy building systems, energy modeling, alternate HVAC/on-site power systems, AutoCAD).

        Good Luck

        Gary Beck, P.E.

        Eco-Holdings LLC

        4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd Suite 114

        Houston, Texas 77025

        Tel: 713-668-0088

        Email:eco@...

        > I just moved to Houston , and I'm looking to buy a home in either
        > Houston or Austin area.  Priority in home-search is energy-efficient.
        > 2nd priority is affordable for an 'average joe.'
        > There are great architects that do energy-efficient niche marketing for
        > wealthy folks that want to live in efficient castles, and there are
        > designers that work for improving low-income housing.  What I cannot
        > find is a builder that targets middle-Americans w/ energy-star-style
        > homes.
        > I'm looking for recommendations.  Can anyone out there help?
        > Thanks.
        > Terry
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Roxanne Boyer