Re: [hreg] New Home

  • Geoffrey Castro
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
      Terry,

      You should try giving Laverne Williams a call. He is pratically the local
      guru of environmentally friendly arhitecture for all price ranges of
      residential housing. You can reach him at 713-528-0000 or visit his website
      at www.environmentassoc.com.

      Best regards,

      Geoffrey Castro

      ----------
      Citizens' League for Environmental Action Now
      5120 Woodway Suite 9004
      Houston, TX 77056
      Phone: (713) 524-3000
      Fax: (713) 960-1810
      www.cleanhouston.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
        Terry, the recent Round up in Fredericksbery TX was a huge success and there
        were several architect builders there that can help you. There are also
        many in Houston listed under green builders/architects.

        For a list of exhibitors at the roundup go to

        www.theroundup.org and check out the program

        regards

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        Cell: 918-521-6223

        > I just moved to Houston, and I'm looking to buy a home in either
        > Houston or Austin area. Priority in home-search is energy-efficient.
        > 2nd priority is affordable for an 'average joe.'
        > There are great architects that do energy-efficient niche marketing for
        > wealthy folks that want to live in efficient castles, and there are
        > designers that work for improving low-income housing. What I cannot
        > find is a builder that targets middle-Americans w/ energy-star-style
        > homes.
        > I'm looking for recommendations. Can anyone out there help?
        > Thanks.
        > Terry
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gary Beck
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005

          I was at GreenBuild 2005 in Atlanta last week. Excellent sustainability/green conference with 10,000 attendees seeing very fine educational sessions, exhibits, and evening events. Next year in Denver – everybody is invited.

          Many of the sessions I attended had to do with energy design approaches and tools.  The most easily accessible were the “Energy Star” tools and programs.  The latest approach is label that read something like “Built to be an Energy Star Home”. This label is placed in the construction drawing title block. It is based on a design getting a passing “Energy Star” grade as defined by modeling software. The home is then built and monitored for one year. Positive performance for a year earns the “Energy Star” label.

          Since this is an active and growing program (that I think will become the norm within a few years) you should be able to start at the www.EnergyStar.gov  web link to

          NEW HOMES

          Make your next home ENERGY STAR

          Find Local Homebuilders and other partners

          Past success in this search for a ‘ready’ Energy Star home, if you decide you want to design/build an Energy Star house, I would be happy to link you with several like-minded area architects (for whom I provide these services – Engineering: foundations & frame design/inspection, wind storm design/inspection; Consulting: low energy building systems, energy modeling, alternate HVAC/on-site power systems, AutoCAD).

          Good Luck

          Gary Beck, P.E.

          Eco-Holdings LLC

          4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd Suite 114

          Houston, Texas 77025

          Tel: 713-668-0088

          Email:eco@...

          > I just moved to Houston , and I'm looking to buy a home in either
          > Houston or Austin area.  Priority in home-search is energy-efficient.
          > 2nd priority is affordable for an 'average joe.'
          > There are great architects that do energy-efficient niche marketing for
          > wealthy folks that want to live in efficient castles, and there are
          > designers that work for improving low-income housing.  What I cannot
          > find is a builder that targets middle-Americans w/ energy-star-style
          > homes.
          > I'm looking for recommendations.  Can anyone out there help?
          > Thanks.
          > Terry
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Roxanne Boyer