Home made solar water heating and radiant heat

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      I purchased an e-book called "Sunshine to Dollars" and have found it
      pretty interesting. The author provides plans for a simple solar
      water heater.... 2x4 or 2x6 frame on top of a slab door or plywood,
      black poly sheeting to create a water basin and a piece of plate
      glass (such as from a sliding glass door) over the frame. He lives
      in MI and seems 150 to 160 degrees even in the winter, over 180 in
      the summer.

      I want to incorporate this type solar water heating with my vent
      free gas logs.

      I live in a loft above my shop, flat roofs, clear southern and
      western exposure. The space behind my loft apartment has 12'
      ceilings, therefore that roof surface is about chest high to my loft.

      My thinking is to create one or more of these solar collectors which
      would sit on the flat roof behind my loft (adjacent). A local
      plumbing supply will sell me an 80 gallon water heater that was
      returned. The floor of my loft is the ceiling of the shop below...
      with exposed joists.

      What about running Pex for radiant heating beneath my wood floor,
      circulating the heated water with some sort of variable speed pump?
      Slower the speed, the more heat. Faster the speed, less heat.

      What types of pumps do they use in radiant heating systems? What
      about adding some ethylene glycol or propylene glycol to the water
      for freeze protection?

      I can get foil-backed 1" styrofoam insulation panels really cheap.
      I'm thinking of stapling the Pex to the bottom of the floor (2x6
      heart pine flooring) and adding the insulation board with the foil
      facing the heated area. Placed against the Pex, it would create a
      3/4" air gap plus have the radiant barrier of the foil.

      I have a chemical blending operation (in the part of the building
      behind the loft) and therefore I have all sorts of small pumps as
      well as the glycols.

      Suggestions? Ideas?

      PS: I'm over in La where we can use biofuels for grid-tied systems.
      That includes biodiesel/wvo. I'm looking for a Lister-driven
      generator for some net metering. Anybody who can help with the
      electrical panel interconnects?

      Todd
    • blpasemann
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hey Todd,
        Was the book worth buying? I looked at the website and some of the
        stuff sounds interesting. What else is in there besides solar water
        heater? Did you get the black out book also?

        thanx
        brady

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddt58@y...> wrote:

        > I purchased an e-book called "Sunshine to Dollars" and have found it
        > pretty interesting. The author provides plans for a simple solar
        > water heater.... 2x4 or 2x6 frame on top of a slab door or plywood,
        > black poly sheeting to create a water basin and a piece of plate
        > glass (such as from a sliding glass door) over the frame. He lives
        > in MI and seems 150 to 160 degrees even in the winter, over 180 in
        > the summer.
        >
        > I want to incorporate this type solar water heating with my vent
        > free gas logs.
        >
        > I live in a loft above my shop, flat roofs, clear southern and
        > western exposure. The space behind my loft apartment has 12'
        > ceilings, therefore that roof surface is about chest high to my loft.
        >
        > My thinking is to create one or more of these solar collectors which
        > would sit on the flat roof behind my loft (adjacent). A local
        > plumbing supply will sell me an 80 gallon water heater that was
        > returned. The floor of my loft is the ceiling of the shop below...
        > with exposed joists.
        >
        > What about running Pex for radiant heating beneath my wood floor,
        > circulating the heated water with some sort of variable speed pump?
        > Slower the speed, the more heat. Faster the speed, less heat.
        >
        > What types of pumps do they use in radiant heating systems? What
        > about adding some ethylene glycol or propylene glycol to the water
        > for freeze protection?
        >
        > I can get foil-backed 1" styrofoam insulation panels really cheap.
        > I'm thinking of stapling the Pex to the bottom of the floor (2x6
        > heart pine flooring) and adding the insulation board with the foil
        > facing the heated area. Placed against the Pex, it would create a
        > 3/4" air gap plus have the radiant barrier of the foil.
        >
        > I have a chemical blending operation (in the part of the building
        > behind the loft) and therefore I have all sorts of small pumps as
        > well as the glycols.
        >
        > Suggestions? Ideas?
        >
        > PS: I'm over in La where we can use biofuels for grid-tied systems.
        > That includes biodiesel/wvo. I'm looking for a Lister-driven
        > generator for some net metering. Anybody who can help with the
        > electrical panel interconnects?
        >
        > Todd

      • Todd
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          I really found this book interesting. Not at all like some of the
          books I've bought on eBay that turned out to be public domain info.
          Granted, these projects won't win any neighborhood beautification
          awards and definitely aren't the kind of things Martha Stewart would
          use to create a certain ambiance.

          But, I live in a loft above my building downtown... so my neighbors
          all go home at 5pm or are too stoned to care.

          I didn't get the blackout book. This guy is sharp and very
          practical... I'm sure his other book would be good as well.

          Todd

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "blpasemann" <blpasemann@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I can get foil-backed 1" styrofoam insulation panels really
          cheap.
          > > I'm thinking of stapling the Pex to the bottom of the floor (2x6
          > > heart pine flooring) and adding the insulation board with the
          foil
          > > facing the heated area. Placed against the Pex, it would create
          > > 3/4" air gap plus have the radiant barrier of the foil.
          > >
          > > I have a chemical blending operation (in the part of the
          building
          > > behind the loft) and therefore I have all sorts of small pumps
          as
          > > well as the glycols.
          > >
          > > Suggestions? Ideas?
          > >
          > > PS: I'm over in La where we can use biofuels for grid-tied
          systems.
          > > That includes biodiesel/wvo. I'm looking for a Lister-driven
          > > generator for some net metering. Anybody who can help with the

        • blpasemann
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
            I did look him up and I found some mp3 files of speaches he has done.
            He is very interesting. The ones I downloaded are for disaster
            prepardedness, very cool so far. See this link:
            http://www.stevenharris.net/page13.html
            I may buy his book when I get thru the mp3's.

            thanx for the info.

          • blpasemann
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005