Hurricane scientists speak up

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2005
      The reputable science studies agree on the correlation between fiercer hurricanes and warmer seas.  Naysayers have no peer reviewed published science to back them when speaking to the media and Congress said Judith Perry, co-author of 9/16/05 paper “Changes in Tropical Cyclone Number, Duration, and Intensity in a Warming Environment” (Science 2005, 309, 1844–1846), in an interview published 10/20/05 by American Chemical Society.

      These critics "like to operate outside the respected and time-honored [laughs] scientific tradition of presenting their data at conferences or putting it in the peer-reviewed literature.  ... And each has his own individual reasons for doing this. They like media attention, and they’re able to get it without doing the hard work." said Judith Curry, chair of the school of earth and atmospheric sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology
      http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2005/oct/policy/pt_curry.html .

      Next Tuesday Curry will speak again on hurricanes at a press briefing by the American Meteorological Society on Capital Hill.  She will be joined by Kerry Emanuel of the Massachussetts Institute of Technology and Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research who will also present their published findings.

      Nan Hildreth   Nan.Hildreth@...
      Houston    713-443-3104

      "An authentic movement is not a play for power - it is teaching and learning writ large."  "Now the world becomes our classroom, and the potential to teach and learn is found everywhere.  We need only be in the world as our true selves, with open hearts and minds."

      "the simple choice to live with integrity can have far-reaching effects."

      Palker Palmer in Yes! Magazine
      http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=796