Re: [hreg] Social Gathering Oct 30th

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005

      While I agree it will be nice to have the solar cookers at this event for show, late afternoon cooking with a solar cooker at the end of October is not practical.  Solar cookers work best for lunch, if it is not summer time.  I have already said I would bring mine, and I will attempt to boil water, but I don't believe it would be possible to cook food at that time of the day.

      This has been my experience with 7 years of solar cooking.  If someone has a solar cooker that will work at that time of the day and year, I will be very excited to see it!

      I plan on doing the tour, so being there by 4 pm is a challenge.  I don't believe we could be there any earlier, since I have a long drive just to reach Houston.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      At 09:30 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
      Let's Chat - in person!

      As part of the HREG sponsored Houston section of the National Solar Tour (Sunday, October 30th), we are inviting HREG members and friends to gather at the Garner residence from 4 pm to 7pm for dinner and discussions.  This site will also have a variety of working renewable energy items on display: solar PV panels, solar hot water heater, mini - fuel cell energy storage system, electric motorcycle, and more.  Food will be available for sale.  The event is family friendly (please, no alcohol).

      For now, we need you to sign up to be a part of this event.
      1)  Solar Chefs - Bring your solar oven and favorite recipe.  We would like to cook as much of our dinner (and dessert) as possible using solar ovens.
      2)  Helpers - I need a few people to help me keep things organized during the event - direct parking, watch a table, serve food, clean-up, etc.
      3)  Renewable Energy Vendors - Tell people about what renewable energy options you have to offer them.
      Please contact me this week by e-mail at chris.rox@... and let me know how you would like to help.

      Houston texas attorney Houston texas bankruptcy lawyer Houston texas web site design
      Houston texas mover Houston texas swimming pool builder Houston texas apartment

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
        Kim,
        As you say, solar cooking would have to be done early between 1 and 3, because after that, the ovens are only "warmers".  I will be there at 1:00 and can set up an oven for someone if they can get the oven to me or to John's house.
        Thanks,
        Chris

        Greetings,

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
          The logistics of this day are really getting to be something!  How many solar cookers are going to be there?  I have about a 1.5 hour drive in good traffic just to get to Houston and I have a house full of people the night before, with chores to be done before we can leave for Houston.  We would really like to do the tour, but if we are short on demo's on solar cooking, I will make the detour to drop off the solar cooker.  If anyone is coming in from North of the city, we do have room for one more in our car.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          At 09:30 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
[...]

           Visit your group "hreg" on the web.