Solar Energy International

  • Andrew McCalla
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
      Steve,

      You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.

      To be clear:

      SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from Texas
      solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
      the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the occasional
      "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
      there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
      business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
      that the increased awareness they create actually generates business within,
      rather than siphon business from, Texas.

      SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
      municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers and
      rate payers.

      I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
      advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which is
      precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
      workshop in central Texas.

      Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
      opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
      good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
      contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
      energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of them
      with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.

      Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
      occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
      exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
      discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.

      Andrew H. McCalla
      Meridian Energy Systems
      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
      Austin, TX 78704

      Voice: (512) 448-0055
      Fax: (512) 448-0045
      www.meridiansolar.com

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
        Andrew,

        Of course I completely disagree with you and your motivations. I took the
        liberty of sharing our communications with some of my associates in the
        industry and I can respond no better than Al Rich who's attitude about SEI
        is as follows:

        "Building energy systems with local labor is much better than importing
        natural gas."

        I regret I will not see you in Fredericksburg as this event lost its
        interest and productivity a long time ago for us.
        Regards,

        Steven Shepard
        SBT Designs
        25581 IH-10 West
        San Antonio, Texas 78257
        (210) 698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com

        > You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.
        >
        > To be clear:
        >
        > SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from
        > Texas
        > solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
        > the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the
        > occasional
        > "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
        > there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
        > business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
        > that the increased awareness they create actually generates business
        > within,
        > rather than siphon business from, Texas.
        >
        > SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
        > municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers
        > and
        > rate payers.
        >
        > I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
        > advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which
        > is
        > precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
        > workshop in central Texas.
        >
        > Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
        > opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
        > good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
        > contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
        > energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of
        > them
        > with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.
        >
        > Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
        > occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
        > exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
        > discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.
        >

        > Andrew H. McCalla
        > Meridian Energy Systems
        > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
        > Austin, TX 78704
        >
        > Voice: (512) 448-0055
        > Fax: (512) 448-0045
        > www.meridiansolar.com

      • noyes livingston
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
          andrew,

          thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
          i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
          miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

          i had assumed that while talking about the woes of the
          world and the attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
          the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to
          promote RE by offering advice to neophites like
          myself.

          in doing some reading, i realize i need:
          -1 or 2 decent marine (lead acid) 12 volt batteries
          -inverter of at least 1500 watts
          -1 or 2 solar panels (12 volt)
          -one charge control and fusing disconnects

          i want it to be portable and would need some sort of
          flexible mount that i could just rest on the ground if
          needed.

          you mentioned the web. what would be two or three
          really good sites to find sites and what are your
          favorite brands in terms of cost and reliability?

          if this works well, my next step would be to qualify
          for an energy efficient mortgage backed by the govt.
          and install a much larger system.

          thanks once again.

          noyes livingston
          noyesliv@...
        • James Ferrill
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
            Noyes,

            At 02:28 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
            >andrew,
            >
            >thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
            >i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
            >miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

            HREG is a small group. The H in HREG stands for HOUSTON. You know, as in
            the Houston that has a Cat 4 storm named Rita heading there. They probably
            all evacuated.

            >I had assumed that while talking about the woes of the world and the
            >attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
            >the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to promote RE by offering
            >advice to neophites like myself.

            Posing such a question the day before the storm is to arrive isn't likely
            to get any responses :-)
          • Clifford Cheadle
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
              I am at the energy fair after fighting my way out of Houston.  Add to following to your list.

              A Kill-A-Watt meter.  You need to know what wattage the appliances or devices you have use.  Plan on less efficiency than the manufacturer states as Houston does not get as much energy pey square yard as other ares.  I have no idea why, but that is what they said today about most of the Texas gulf coast.

              Next, compact florescent lights will get you better light for your dollars.

              When I get home, if it is still there, I will find the website where a fellow documented the process of putting together a power cart.  I think, judging by your other posts, is what you are looking for.

              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005

                see if this is what you are thinking about.

                Clifford Cheadle <cliffordcheadle@...> wrote:
[...]

              • William & Cynthia Stange

                  > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                  > www.solarenergy.org.  They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                  > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                  > next one is, it looks like, March 27.  That program does not, nor does any
                  > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                  > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                  > involved in what you would like to do.
                  >
                  > Regarding your small system:  You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                  > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                  > smaller
                  > loads you mentioned.  However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                  > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                  > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                  >

                  > Andrew H. McCalla
                  > Meridian Energy Systems
                  > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                  > Austin, TX  78704
                  >
                  > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                  > Fax:    (512) 448-0045
                  > www.meridiansolar.com

                • noyes livingston
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 25, 2005
                    william,

                    thank you very much and i should have all the
                    components of my basic backup system in place and set
                    up within a month. if you come across other good
                    sources of info. please let me know.

                    i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                    panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                    would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                    fan or radio if at all possible.

                    like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                    everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                    that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                    power outages will tend to motivate people into
                    looking at RE.
                  • John Miggins
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 26, 2005
                      Noyes and all, now that Houston is back to normal,
                      Here is what i recommend.
                      doing it yourself for a small system is not too hard with the right
                      components

                      Size the charge controller larger than you need for growth.
                      Make sure you have blocking diode, most often in better controllers so the
                      panels do not drain energy from battery at night.

                      Get safe and robust batteries, deep cycle sealed, 12 volts.

                      Inverters should be fused between batteries and inverter with appropriate
                      sized DC fuses. Class T fuses with right size wire for safety.

                      This is where a solar company can help you.

                      One way to go is to purchase this home power center that is prewired for
                      the battery and Solar panel connections and then buy batteries locally,
                      solar panels from whereever you can get them, Southwest PV has panels in
                      stock in Houston, and then inverters/fusing from reputable source.

                      You get what you pay for.

                      As mentioned in the off line email, you can get a nice system built by us
                      for around $1500 with 2500 watt inverter and 200 amp battery bank, one 75
                      watt solar panel and charge controllers. You can also get these components
                      locally or at a myriad of places on the internet but shipping batteries and
                      solar panels is expensive.

                      Proper wire size and fusing is very important.- Here is a link to our home
                      power center which is a great way to start. Simply add batteries, solar
                      panels and inverter and you are making power.

                      http://www.harvest-energy.com/homePowerCenter.html

                      thanks for your interest.

                      John Miggins
                      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                      www.harvest-energy.com
                      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                      Cell: 918-521-6223

                      > thank you very much and i should have all the
                      > components of my basic backup system in place and set
                      > up within a month. if you come across other good
                      > sources of info. please let me know.
                      >
                      > i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                      > panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                      > would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                      > fan or radio if at all possible.
                      >
                      > like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                      > everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                      > that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                      > power outages will tend to motivate people into
                      > looking at RE.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • blpasemann
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                        Noyes,
                        I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                        I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                        it so I can do it my self. I have also thought about doing a small
                        system to run some lights, fan, etc. also. What part of houston do
                        you live in? Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                        help. There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                        As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                        I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                        email me
                        bpasemann@...
                        832-594-5658

                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                        > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                        >
                        > 1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                        > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                        >
                        > 2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                        > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                        > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                        > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                        > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                        > outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                        > $1000-$1500.
                        >
                        > i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                        > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                        > communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                        > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                        > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                        > into action.
                      • Israel Palacios
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 1, 2005

                          I have read that wind generated power is less expensive and in may be more productive than solar.  Before buying solar you might want to see which would be more cost effective.  I was interested in solar but, with demand outstripping supply the cost of solar is a premium.

                            I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                          I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                          it so I can do it my self.  I have also thought about doing a small
                          system to run some lights, fan, etc. also.  What part of houston do
                          you live in?  Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                          help.  There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                          As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                          I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                          email me
                          bpasemann@...
                          832-594-5658

                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                          > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                          >
                          > 1.  is there a training program in the state of texas
                          > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                          >
                          > 2.  is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                          > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                          > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                          > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                          > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                          > outage for 3-5 days?  my budget would be appx.
                          > $1000-$1500.
                          >
                          > i have procastinated on this for some time.  i would
                          > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                          > communicate with me on this matter.  while i was not
                          > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                          > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                          > into action.

                        • noyes livingston
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                            isreal,

                            thank you for the reply. unfortunately, where we live
                            in alief, the wind is not very steady and i beleive we
                            would have problems with the deed restrictions. my
                            father has a beach home in port aransas and i am
                            trying to convince him that he needs a wind turbine to
                            generate electricity.

                            i will let you know if i am successful and once my
                            brother brings me a military grade inverter that he
                            has and i get the components together, i will take
                            pictures of everything and keep everyone up to date as
                            to our progress in creating change.

                            noyes
                          • Michael Ewert
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                              I came across these 3 packaged PV home systems:
                              http://www.sundog.org/proddetail.asp?id=272
                              http://www.harvest-energy.com/smallCabinSolar.html
                              http://www.sbtdesigns.com/products/solar03.htm

                              Has anyone seen a comparable home wind system? We could compare.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                During my visit to Paris (june 7-1, 2004)  to attend 19th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, there were two companies which represented Wind Energy:
                                1. Southwest Windpower: www.windenergy.com and info@...
                                2. Grundfos SQFlex. www.grundfos.com
                                This company sells separate PV and Wind systems, but also a Hybrid PV/Wind system as well.
                                I hope this information will be help.

                                Bashir A. Syedm
                                Member: ASES, APS, IEEE, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences, & Senior Member: ISES
                                Vice President, R&D
                                EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                                1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                                Houston, TX 77058
                                Bus. 281-333-9889/Fax: 281-461-1150
                                Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell: 713-560-6668
                                E-mail: bsyed@...

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006

                                  Is anyone familiar with Egan & Hinson, an A/C company in Houston who claims to have Geothermal heat pump installation experience?

                                  LaVerne A. William s, AIA, LEED® AP
                                  Environment Associates, Architects & Consultants
                                  laverne@...
                                  713.528.0000

                                • deviant
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006
                                    Definitely. They installed the geothermal system on our house on
                                    Valerie in Bellaire. You can ask Kathleen more about them.