Kenya Orphanage Solar Project Successful !

  • Michael Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005
      Pictured is the result of an HREG solar energy/good will project! Thank
      you for the great effort with combined learning about PV home systems
      and helping an orphanage in Kenya. The orphanage is now benefiting from
      renewable energy and the equipment donated by HREG members. Our members
      (outside chapter funds) donated about half the cost of the $2500 system,
      consisting of PV panel, battery, charge controller, refrigerator,
      fluorescent light and installation.

      It took us a while to get this project completed, but I'm happy we did
      it. A few days ago I received this e-mail from an American volunteer
      with "Children First" (A.K.A. Cherish Our Children).
      http://cherishourchildren.org/ .
      Please read what she wrote.

      "Dear Mike;

      I returned from Kenya yesterday and am just now catching up on the
      e-mails.

      The solar panel, refrigerator and light were all installed without
      difficulty and the people in Kisumu were professional and knowledgable.
      We
      even used them in upgrading and fixing our electricity problems.

      The staff in Kisumu were very moved by the work being done at Children
      First
      and I look forward to a lasting relationship with that company and
      staff.

      Thank you so much for all your work. It was a great delight to see the
      faces at Children First when they tasted cold water from the
      refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!! And the children got to do they reading and
      homework in the evening by the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I hope to meet you someday but until then take care and live knowing you
      and
      your group have made a huge difference in the life at Children First,
      Kenya.

      With deep affection,

      Jill"