LA Power

  • SBT Designs
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12 2:25 PM
      This just in:
      Millions in Los Angeles without electric power.
      Film at eleven.

      Steven Shepard
      SBT Designs
      25581 IH-10 West
      San Antonio, Texas 78257
      (210) 698-7109
      www.sbtdesigns.com
    • Lunce
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12 2:39 PM
        Steven,

        What does that mean? Is there a movie on Channel 11, or at 11pm - what
        channel please?

        Lunce

        SBT Designs wrote:

        >This just in:
        >Millions in Los Angeles without electric power.
        >Film at eleven.
        >

        >Steven Shepard
        >SBT Designs
        >25581 IH-10 West
        >San Antonio, Texas 78257
        >(210) 698-7109
        >www.sbtdesigns.com
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • SBT Designs
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12 2:43 PM
          It means that at 3:50 PM this afternoon NBC news reported a massive electric
          power outage in the LA area.
          I am sure it will be all over the news the evening.

          It also means the infrastructure of our society is collapsing around us.

          Steven Shepard
          SBT Designs
          25581 IH-10 West
          San Antonio, Texas 78257
          (210) 698-7109
          www.sbtdesigns.com

          > What does that mean? Is there a movie on Channel 11, or at 11pm - what
          > channel please?
          >
          > Lunce
          >
          > SBT Designs wrote:
          >
          >>This just in:
          >>Millions in Los Angeles without electric power.
          >>Film at eleven.
          >>

          >>Steven Shepard
          >>SBT Designs
          >>25581 IH-10 West
          >>San Antonio, Texas 78257
          >>(210) 698-7109
          >>www.sbtdesigns.com
          >>

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tom1899
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12 3:38 PM
            Here are the details. It appears some utility workers connected the
            wrong wires and caused a couple of chain reactions. Power has been
            restored to a lot of the areas.

            Updated: 6:11 p.m. ET Sept. 12, 2005

            LOS ANGELES - Utility workers connected the wrong wires and caused a
            blackout across major portions of Los Angeles on Monday afternoon,
            trapping people in elevators and snarling traffic at intersections,
            authorities said.

            Hundreds of thousands of people were affected by the resulting power
            surge and outages, which were reported from downtown west to the
            Pacific Coast and north into the San Fernando Valley.

            Several workers who were installing an automated transmission system
            connected the wrong wires, according to Ron Deaton, general manager of
            the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
            Story continues below ↓ advertisement

            "They connected it to another line that was not expecting that much
            electricity," he said. No injuries were reported.

            Some power was restored within an hour; Deaton said he expected all
            power to be restored by 5 p.m.

            The electricity went out shortly before 1 p.m., and scattered outages
            were reported from downtown to the Pacific Coast and north into the
            San Fernando Valley, an area encompassing hundreds of thousands of
            residents and thousands of businesses.

            Downtown high-rises went dark, fire officials said they received
            reports of people stuck in elevators, and stoplights went out at
            intersections across the city. Neighboring cities, including Burbank
            and Glendale, also were affected.

            The Police Department went on "full tactical alert," meaning no
            officers were allowed to leave work when their shifts were over.

            Some Los Angeles neighborhoods did not lose power at all, and
            electricity was restored in some areas within an hour.

            Calm prevailed in downtown Los Angeles around midday. Office workers
            took the opportunity for an extended lunch as police and fire sirens
            echoed in the background.

            Los Angeles International Airport lost power, but its emergency
            generator kicked in promptly and no flights were affected, said Harold
            Johnson, an airport spokesman. UCLA Medical Center used backup
            generators and reported no danger to patients.

            The blackout came a day after ABC aired a videotape of a purported
            al-Qaida member making terrorist threats against Los Angeles and
            Melbourne, Australia, on the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

            Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke said federal
            authorities were talking to state and local counterparts about the
            power loss, but "there is no indication of any nexus to terror."

            Heavy power usage can lead to blackouts. But the weather in Los
            Angeles was not unusually hot Monday, with temperatures around the low
            70s when the power went out.

            An official with the city Department of Water and Power said it
            appeared the problem began when two power receiving stations failed.
            That forced several larger generating stations to shut down, according
            to Robert Rozanski, chief administrative officer.

            The receiving stations get high-voltage power from the generating
            stations and convert it to lower voltage so that it can be used
            throughout the city.

            "We are doing everything we possibly can to find out the source of the
            problem," Rozanski said.

            Los Angeles operates its own power utility, which serves 1.4 million
            electricity customers. Customers of Southern California Edison, the
            largest utility in Southern California, were not affected, according
            to spokesman Gil Alexander.

            Katie Cerio, a stylist for TV commercials, said traffic lights were
            out in the Torrance neighborhood.

            "They've got people directing traffic, but it's definitely a bit
            chaotic," Cerio said as she drove. "But now I just entered West
            Hollywood and the traffic lights seems to be on."

            At the downtown YMCA, staff used flashlights to help usher exercisers
            from the pool and other areas to locker rooms so they could dress
            before leaving.