RE: [hreg] Alternative vehicle fuel?

  • d j
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005

      Try ethanol(85%)+ gasoline(15%). Ethanol should be NO water. Indy 500 racing car will start to use 100% ethanol on 2007.

      Dannis Jen

      From: "J. P. Malone" <JPMALONE@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hreg] Alternative vehicle fuel?
      Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:38:10 -0500

      Can anyone point me to reliable information on how I can best cut my fleet ownership, long-term costs on commercial trucks (cars, vans, bobtails, and no 18 wheelers)?  Balancing the conversion costs, fuel, maintenance costs, etc.?  We have recently installed GPS and routing software, but would like keep improving.

      While in Canada I recently rode in a van powered by natural gas & gasoline (switch over, one at a time).  The driver indicated that the conversion cost about $7k.  He also has an old Lincoln town car that he has converted to Propane.  He said he believes (but could not verify) that the cost per American gallon for equivalent miles is:

      Gasoline approx $3 per gallon

      Natural Gas approx $ 0.56

      Propane approx $ 0.51

      He mentioned that Propane has some problems at cold temperatures.

      Nat gas & Propane burns clean.  Diesels, if not properly maintained (costs) belch the black crap we all hate.

      Is there a fuel cheaper than NG or Propane that is feasible without exceeding the pollution of gasoline or diesel?

      Canada has passed a law to force their diesel fuel to comply with European standards and is now bringing in tiny Smart-cars that are very fuel efficient.  I doubt the US gov�t will follow suit in my lifetime.

      I have looked at veggie fuels but they are not price competitive as yet.  We want to support the environment, however, we need to be competitive to stay in business & feed the families of all our employees.  Hopefully there is a way to achieve both eco & economic goals.

      PS:   Having read the group discussions regarding the hurricane I am very impressed.  This group has some very smart people with very good values & hearts.  I congratulate you on your dedication.

      J. Patrick Malone

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • J. P. Malone
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005

        How would one find that mix in commercial quantities in the Houston area & get cost/mile estimates?

        Can one switch back to gasoline if you are away from your base and running out of fuel?

        Any links you know of?

        J. Patrick Malone

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005

          Here is a good summary of the vehicles available, also go to the national link to see convesion kits.

          Several mfg. make dual fuel vehicles, for gas/ethanol or mix that might be helpful.  Brazil has converted most of their cars to ethanol or at least dual fuel.

          There are incentives for conversion kits available. it you like send the clean cities program an email.  I have copied our local clean cities coordinator, Rachel Kelley, perhaps she can advise you.

          keep striving.

          John Miggins
          Harvest Solar & Wind Power
          "renewable solutions to everyday needs"