RE: [hreg] Assistance

  • Andrew McCalla
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
      Jane,

      We'd be happy to run those numbers for you.

      Those numbers, it sounds like, need to be derived from a system that will
      "run your offices". Since this is the driver for your case, we need to
      start with what those offices use.

      If you could send me 12 sequential months worth of consumption data (in kWh
      preferably), we can easily derive a budgetary number for the cost of the
      required system through which we will be able to build cases.

      Not knowing the size of your offices, but knowing the historical consumption
      of even small ones, I think you will find this exercise illuminating, to say
      the least.

      Please feel free to contact me directly with that information.

      Andrew H. McCalla
      Meridian Energy Systems
      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
      Austin, TX 78704

      Voice: (512) 448-0055
      Fax: (512) 448-0045
      www.meridiansolar.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
        Jane, we can help you but will need more deatails to give payback. perhaps
        we can do this offline.

        send info or call me

        thanks
        jmiggins@...

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        Cell: 918-521-6223

        > Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics i.e.
        > cost benefits and payback period.
        >
        > I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
        > solar. We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
        > modules to them.
        >
        > Best regards Jane
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bashir Syed
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
          John:
          Here is how one computes the payoff time for the system
          Life expectancy of the PV System (less the cost of changing  and maintaining the storage batteries):
                         Mono-Crystalline & Poly-crystalline  ~ 25 years
                         Thin Film or Amorphous PV ~ 10 years
          Data Required for Computing Cost benefits:
              1. Insolation data (amount of sunlight in kWh/sq. meter) obtained from maps prepared by National Renewable Energy Laboratory ( www.nrel.org or check with Google
          NREL site provides the approximate daily insolation (amount of sunlight) in kWh/sq.meter that falls on a south-facing surface for an average day.
          For example, for Houston, TX  this value from NREL maps Insolation - ln. (Hstn)  = 5 kWh/sq.meter
          [The value in Alaska ~ 3 kWh/sq.meter.  The value for  Southern Arizona ~ 7 kWh/sq. meter] from U.S. Map.

              2. Energy provided by Sun/ sq. meter = E(sun) = 1 kW/sq.m

              3. The average Efficiency of the Solar PV Panels, eff (PV)  ~ 12% (for our calclculations)

              4. Yearly consumption of energy from Utility Bill  = E/year  in kWh/year
                     Let us assume for example: E/month = 450 kWh/month (average);   or   E/year = 5400 kWh/year
                     This information can be used to compute average energy usage per day =
                     Average Energy Consumption /day= <E/day> = [E(consumed/yr)/ 365 days/yr] = <E/day> ~ 15 kWh/day

          Computations:
          (a) Area of PV array (in sq. meters) needed to provide this much Energy/day =
                         [ (<E/day in kWh/day>) / [(Insolation in kW/sq.m ) X (eff. of PV)] = [15 kWh/day] / [(5 kWh/sq.m/day) X (eff. 012)]  = 25 sq. meter

          (b) Output (peak) of selected PV Array:
                         [ E(sun) X (eff.of PV) X (Computed area of PV array)] = [ (1 kW/sq.m) X (0.12) X (25 sq. m)] = 3.0 kW (Peak)

          (c) Number years to payoff the cost of PV System:  N (For our Hypothetical example)
                         Let us say, Total System cost  = C(syst)  for example $18,000
                          Average, Yearly Utility Bill         =  C(util)    for our example is #3,000/year  (which by the way will always be increasing every year)
                          N = [C(syst)] / [C(util) = [ $18,000] / [$3,000] = 6 years
                         i.e. It will take ~ 6 years to pay off the Cost of PV System (not considering the cost of replacing batteries)
          Therefore, one can recover the cost this system in our example in about 6 years, and the only extra cost will be to replace and maintain the matteries. For next 19 years the electricity cost will literally FREE (since there is no fuel cost at all).
          I checked my utility bill and found that half the charges were for Fuel - a charge which which will keep on increasing.

          I hope the above example clarifies the mystries of PV Systems, and the Cost savings in the long run over 25 year period - the life expectancy of Mono/Poly -Crystalline Silicon PV Systems.

          Bashir A. Syed

          > Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics  i.e.
          > cost benefits and payback period.
          >
          > I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
          > solar.  We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
          > modules to them.
          >
          > Best regards Jane
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • JR Batek
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
            Also, subtract 30% of the cost for the tax credit from
            the recent energy bill.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • guardianangelsincus
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
              I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
              Community College. I am looking for an apprentice position with any
              Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

              I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
              money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
              assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
              felixangelica@... and phone number is 281-546-6665.

              Thank you.

              Felix Allison
            • Kevin Conlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009

                What part of town do you live in, Felix?

                Kevin Conlin

                Solarcraft, Inc.

                4007-C Greenbriar Drive

                Stafford, TX 77477

                Local (281) 340-1224

                Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                Fax (281) 340-1230

                Cell (281) 960-8979

                kconlin@...

                www.solarcraft.net

                I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
                Community College . I am looking for an apprentice position with any
                Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

                I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
                money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
                assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
                felixangelica@ msn.com and phone number is 281-546-6665.

                Thank you.

                Felix Allison

              • felix allison
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Hi Kevin,

                  I live at Sugarland. Right behind Sugarland air port.

                  It will take me about twenty minute to Solarcraft office.

                  Felix

                  To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                  From: kconlin@...
                  Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:37:13 -0600

                  kconlin@solarcraft. net

                  www.solarcraft. net

                  I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
                  Community College. I am looking for an apprentice position with any
                  Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

                  I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
                  money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
                  assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
                  felixangelica@ msn.com and phone number is 281-546-6665.

                  Thank you.

                  Felix Allison

                • Garth & Kim Travis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Please take this kind of discussion off list. It is suitable to put the
                    original posting on the list, but after that, the messages are not of
                    interest to the entire group, therefore, the discussion should be moved
                    off list. Thanks
                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim