Assistance

  • Jane Edgar
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
      Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics i.e.
      cost benefits and payback period.

      I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
      solar. We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
      modules to them.

      Best regards Jane
    • Andrew McCalla
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
        Jane,

        We'd be happy to run those numbers for you.

        Those numbers, it sounds like, need to be derived from a system that will
        "run your offices". Since this is the driver for your case, we need to
        start with what those offices use.

        If you could send me 12 sequential months worth of consumption data (in kWh
        preferably), we can easily derive a budgetary number for the cost of the
        required system through which we will be able to build cases.

        Not knowing the size of your offices, but knowing the historical consumption
        of even small ones, I think you will find this exercise illuminating, to say
        the least.

        Please feel free to contact me directly with that information.

        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems
        2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
        Austin, TX 78704

        Voice: (512) 448-0055
        Fax: (512) 448-0045
        www.meridiansolar.com

        Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics i.e.
        cost benefits and payback period.

        I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
        solar. We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
        modules to them.

        Best regards Jane

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Miggins
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
          Jane, we can help you but will need more deatails to give payback. perhaps
          we can do this offline.

          send info or call me

          thanks
          jmiggins@...

          John Miggins
          Harvest Solar & Wind Power
          "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
          www.harvest-energy.com
          Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
          Cell: 918-521-6223

          > Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics i.e.
          > cost benefits and payback period.
          >
          > I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
          > solar. We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
          > modules to them.
          >
          > Best regards Jane
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bashir Syed
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
            John:
            Here is how one computes the payoff time for the system
            Life expectancy of the PV System (less the cost of changing  and maintaining the storage batteries):
                           Mono-Crystalline & Poly-crystalline  ~ 25 years
                           Thin Film or Amorphous PV ~ 10 years
            Data Required for Computing Cost benefits:
                1. Insolation data (amount of sunlight in kWh/sq. meter) obtained from maps prepared by National Renewable Energy Laboratory ( www.nrel.org or check with Google
            NREL site provides the approximate daily insolation (amount of sunlight) in kWh/sq.meter that falls on a south-facing surface for an average day.
            For example, for Houston, TX  this value from NREL maps Insolation - ln. (Hstn)  = 5 kWh/sq.meter
            [The value in Alaska ~ 3 kWh/sq.meter.  The value for  Southern Arizona ~ 7 kWh/sq. meter] from U.S. Map.

                2. Energy provided by Sun/ sq. meter = E(sun) = 1 kW/sq.m

                3. The average Efficiency of the Solar PV Panels, eff (PV)  ~ 12% (for our calclculations)

                4. Yearly consumption of energy from Utility Bill  = E/year  in kWh/year
                       Let us assume for example: E/month = 450 kWh/month (average);   or   E/year = 5400 kWh/year
                       This information can be used to compute average energy usage per day =
                       Average Energy Consumption /day= <E/day> = [E(consumed/yr)/ 365 days/yr] = <E/day> ~ 15 kWh/day

            Computations:
            (a) Area of PV array (in sq. meters) needed to provide this much Energy/day =
                           [ (<E/day in kWh/day>) / [(Insolation in kW/sq.m ) X (eff. of PV)] = [15 kWh/day] / [(5 kWh/sq.m/day) X (eff. 012)]  = 25 sq. meter

            (b) Output (peak) of selected PV Array:
                           [ E(sun) X (eff.of PV) X (Computed area of PV array)] = [ (1 kW/sq.m) X (0.12) X (25 sq. m)] = 3.0 kW (Peak)

            (c) Number years to payoff the cost of PV System:  N (For our Hypothetical example)
                           Let us say, Total System cost  = C(syst)  for example $18,000
                            Average, Yearly Utility Bill         =  C(util)    for our example is #3,000/year  (which by the way will always be increasing every year)
                            N = [C(syst)] / [C(util) = [ $18,000] / [$3,000] = 6 years
                           i.e. It will take ~ 6 years to pay off the Cost of PV System (not considering the cost of replacing batteries)
            Therefore, one can recover the cost this system in our example in about 6 years, and the only extra cost will be to replace and maintain the matteries. For next 19 years the electricity cost will literally FREE (since there is no fuel cost at all).
            I checked my utility bill and found that half the charges were for Fuel - a charge which which will keep on increasing.

            I hope the above example clarifies the mystries of PV Systems, and the Cost savings in the long run over 25 year period - the life expectancy of Mono/Poly -Crystalline Silicon PV Systems.

            Bashir A. Syed

            > Can anyone give me factual calculations on the use of photovoltaics  i.e.
            > cost benefits and payback period.
            >
            > I need to convince my company that we could actually run our offices on
            > solar.  We have so many covered walk ways that we could fit arrays of
            > modules to them.
            >
            > Best regards Jane
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • JR Batek
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
              Also, subtract 30% of the cost for the tax credit from
              the recent energy bill.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • guardianangelsincus
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
                I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
                Community College. I am looking for an apprentice position with any
                Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

                I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
                money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
                assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
                felixangelica@... and phone number is 281-546-6665.

                Thank you.

                Felix Allison
              • Kevin Conlin
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009

                  What part of town do you live in, Felix?

                  Kevin Conlin

                  Solarcraft, Inc.

                  4007-C Greenbriar Drive

                  Stafford, TX 77477

                  Local (281) 340-1224

                  Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                  Fax (281) 340-1230

                  Cell (281) 960-8979

                  kconlin@...

                  www.solarcraft.net

                  I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
                  Community College . I am looking for an apprentice position with any
                  Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

                  I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
                  money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
                  assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
                  felixangelica@ msn.com and phone number is 281-546-6665.

                  Thank you.

                  Felix Allison

                • felix allison
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Hi Kevin,

                    I live at Sugarland. Right behind Sugarland air port.

                    It will take me about twenty minute to Solarcraft office.

                    Felix

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: kconlin@...
                    Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:37:13 -0600

                    kconlin@solarcraft. net

                    www.solarcraft. net

                    I am a member of HREG and pursuing Photovoltaic Certification at Austin
                    Community College. I am looking for an apprentice position with any
                    Solar or Renewable energy company in Houston area.

                    I communte from Houston to Austin every weekend to attend class. I need
                    money to keep up with the expense. I will appreciate it if any one can
                    assist with either a job or a suggestion. My e-mail is
                    felixangelica@ msn.com and phone number is 281-546-6665.

                    Thank you.

                    Felix Allison

                  • Garth & Kim Travis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Greetings,
                      Please take this kind of discussion off list. It is suitable to put the
                      original posting on the list, but after that, the messages are not of
                      interest to the entire group, therefore, the discussion should be moved
                      off list. Thanks
                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim