RE: [hreg] HREG Call to Action

  • Michael Ewert
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14, 2001

      The website of the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) has this report. Perhaps some of our business members can register to provide equipment.  Others of us can pick one of the many opportunities to donate money, supplies or our time to help evacuees right here in the Houston area.

      The Federal Emergency Management Agency through the Southwest Emergency Response Network is offering registration in the National Emergency Resource Registry for any businesses capable of making a donation of materials or equipment useful to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. Among current priorities are housing, transportation, and emergency supplies, and SEIA members capable of providing deployable power systems of any sort are urged to register them at the link provided. https://www.swern.gov/emergency/asset_app.php

       http://www.seia.org/

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005

        I agree with the suggestion of a meeting. This easily could have been Houston . We should make the time.

        I would like to hear other’s ideas for the provision of basic-needs, health, cleanup, and recovery phases*.  I would also think that the group and our joint affiliated professional resources (HREG, HARC, HFH, AIA, ASCE, TSPE, etc.) could bring to a focused and useful effort.  It would certainly be worth several after hour’s meetings.  When and where for the brainstorming? I offer my office, but it can only hold about 6-8 people. Does anyone have a suitable larger location to offer?

        FYI- FEMA offers grants for different aspects of disaster prevention and recovery.  Most of the past listed grants go through matching public organizations like cities, counties, and or in the case of Louisiana parishes etc. I have to assume that some could go through companies that offer matching funds. I am not sure if such a grant could go through a group like HREG or HARC unless it was sponsored by a deeper pockets company or professional entity.  Does anyone know how it might work?  Would it be appropriate to ask for an underling from FEMA to join such a meeting to explain how groups like HREG or HARC might best help?

        Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

        TexasEngineer.com

        Eco-Holdings LLC

        4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

        Houston, Texas 77025

        Tel: 713-668-0088

        Fax: 832-201-5338

        Cell: 713-530-1950

        * For a ‘rebuild’ phase, I have what I believe to be unique a low/medium income ‘real world but green’ neighborhood conclave design concept that needs a team approach.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
          Gary:
          Things can happen in different phases, but right now everyone effected needs safe-drinking water, fuel for cooking food, and light to see in the dark. Even the UN and World Bank has identified these basic necessities for the survival of the victims.

          Bashir A. Syed
          Retd. Aerospace Physicist
          Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, ISES, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences
          Vice President (R&D)
          EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
          (A Renewable Energy Co.)
          1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
          Houston, TX 77058
          Bus. 281-333-9889/Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell:713-560-6668.

[...]

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
            I wonder how difficult it would be for the refugees to find cardboard.  We could send them rolls of aluminum foil and cooking bags which would allow the creation of solar cookers.
            Just an idea.  It will boil water in about 45 minutes.
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

            At 11:09 AM 9/1/2005, you wrote:
[...]

            Houston texas web site design Houston texas swimming pool builder Houston texas apartment
            Houston texas web design Houston texas web hosting Houston texas

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • John Miggins
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
              That is a good idea, it can also help sanitize the water they do have to make it safer.  composting toilets would be good too.

              We could make a lot of contributions but with the transportation problems and caos it might be better to just donate money.

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

[...]

                 Visit your group "hreg" on the web.

              • jclem412@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Wow!  TXSES and HREG are so COOL!!!!!  Get on it y'all.

                  Love, Diane & Jonathan Clemens in Port Townsend, WA, ASES members.