RE: [hreg] HREG Call to Action

  • Michael Ewert
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14, 2001

      The website of the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) has this report. Perhaps some of our business members can register to provide equipment.  Others of us can pick one of the many opportunities to donate money, supplies or our time to help evacuees right here in the Houston area.

      The Federal Emergency Management Agency through the Southwest Emergency Response Network is offering registration in the National Emergency Resource Registry for any businesses capable of making a donation of materials or equipment useful to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. Among current priorities are housing, transportation, and emergency supplies, and SEIA members capable of providing deployable power systems of any sort are urged to register them at the link provided. https://www.swern.gov/emergency/asset_app.php

       http://www.seia.org/

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
        Yes, it's a good time to bring up climate change in Houston.  Due to peaking oil, limiting carbon emissions is now a necessity and besides it's good for the climate.   See Sept Scientific American.  http://www.sciam.com/media/pdf/Lovinsforweb.pdf  Today the Chronicle said Gov. Perry should take action on "global warming" to limit the nastiness of hurricanes. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/editorial/3332257

        On your volunteer needs,  Mike, please call me about this.

        Nan Hildreth, 713-443-3104

        At 10:06 PM 08/31/2005, Michael Ewert wrote:
[...]

        Houston texas web site design Houston texas swimming pool builder Houston texas apartment
        Houston texas web design Houston texas web hosting Houston texas

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Nan Hildreth, Houston
        713-842-6643   NanHildreth@...
        713-443-3104 cell
        3939 Luca St.
        Houston, Tx 77021

      • Michael Ewert

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                  In past years, I was the person who tried to get folks from various
                  environmental organizations to have booths at the "agency fairs" in the
                  City of Houston's annual pledge drive. From experience, the one on Oct.
                  12 would be a great one to showcase solar energy at work since it is an
                  outdoor event. As that fair on Oct. 12 is usually at a facility near my
                  house, I would be glad to staff an HREG booth at that one. Just let me
                  know how I can get whatever I'll need.

                  Bridget Jensen
                  cell - 713-417-2056
                  home - 713-524-1290
                  email - blj2@...

                • Gary Beck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005

                    I agree with the suggestion of a meeting. This easily could have been Houston . We should make the time.

                    I would like to hear other’s ideas for the provision of basic-needs, health, cleanup, and recovery phases*.  I would also think that the group and our joint affiliated professional resources (HREG, HARC, HFH, AIA, ASCE, TSPE, etc.) could bring to a focused and useful effort.  It would certainly be worth several after hour’s meetings.  When and where for the brainstorming? I offer my office, but it can only hold about 6-8 people. Does anyone have a suitable larger location to offer?

                    FYI- FEMA offers grants for different aspects of disaster prevention and recovery.  Most of the past listed grants go through matching public organizations like cities, counties, and or in the case of Louisiana parishes etc. I have to assume that some could go through companies that offer matching funds. I am not sure if such a grant could go through a group like HREG or HARC unless it was sponsored by a deeper pockets company or professional entity.  Does anyone know how it might work?  Would it be appropriate to ask for an underling from FEMA to join such a meeting to explain how groups like HREG or HARC might best help?

                    Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

                    TexasEngineer.com

                    Eco-Holdings LLC

                    4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

                    Houston, Texas 77025

                    Tel: 713-668-0088

                    Fax: 832-201-5338

                    Cell: 713-530-1950

                    * For a ‘rebuild’ phase, I have what I believe to be unique a low/medium income ‘real world but green’ neighborhood conclave design concept that needs a team approach.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Gary:
                        Things can happen in different phases, but right now everyone effected needs safe-drinking water, fuel for cooking food, and light to see in the dark. Even the UN and World Bank has identified these basic necessities for the survival of the victims.

                        Bashir A. Syed
                        Retd. Aerospace Physicist
                        Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, ISES, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences
                        Vice President (R&D)
                        EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                        (A Renewable Energy Co.)
                        1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                        Houston, TX 77058
                        Bus. 281-333-9889/Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell:713-560-6668.

[...]

                      • Garth & Kim Travis
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                          I wonder how difficult it would be for the refugees to find cardboard.  We could send them rolls of aluminum foil and cooking bags which would allow the creation of solar cookers.
                          Just an idea.  It will boil water in about 45 minutes.
                          Bright Blessings,
                          Kim

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                            That is a good idea, it can also help sanitize the water they do have to make it safer.  composting toilets would be good too.

                            We could make a lot of contributions but with the transportation problems and caos it might be better to just donate money.

                            John Miggins
                            Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                            "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                            www.harvest-energy.com
                            Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

[...]

                               Visit your group "hreg" on the web.

                            • jclem412@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                                Wow!  TXSES and HREG are so COOL!!!!!  Get on it y'all.

                                Love, Diane & Jonathan Clemens in Port Townsend, WA, ASES members.