RE: [hreg] Book for Discussion

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2005
      Yes, I fear peak oil will be a rude awakening for many.  Pride goes before a fall.

      You are invited to join our Houston Peak Oil list for more discussion on this topic.   Either go to Http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/HoustonPeakOil   or send an email to
      sympa@...
      with subject line subscribe HoustonPeakOil

      At 11:08 PM 08/29/2005, Israel Palacios wrote:
      I agree with Roxanne, but I think those that can afford it will be able to adjust much easier than those that cannot.  The government and millions of Americans are bankrupt, living on Asian financed credit. Like that Discover card, our “collective” credit has been maxed out.  IMF will sell off America one piece at a time to the highest bidders just like Argentina.  Also I wonder who will be able to afford the conversion?  The same countries where are capital is flowing, will surely be able to afford it. The richest 2% of our population might be able to afford it if the dollar is still worth anything.  If it is I doubt that the benevolence of the wealthiest will be enough to stave off an energy induced crash or even a gentle tumble.  We have become a country of lazy idiots that grow more hostile and aggressive daily.  Fear and anxiety based racial and xenophobic ideologies and feelings are beginning to make their way into popular culture.  People are starting to point fingers at some of the hardest working and the overwhelmingly powerless portion of the population.  They have become the scapegoat because of our societal arrogance, ignorance, and self righteousness.  Most of us including the “majority” find it difficult to accept that we are soley responsible for the situation we find ourselves.  Many are unable or unwilling to accept that our individual actions or inactions have contributed to the scenario that will soon unfold.  Nobody knows how the future will play out but I feel that we are too late in the game to brace ourselves for the impact…..except for a few of us anyway.  .