Re: [hreg] what's so great about hybrids?

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
      Go VW baby,
      they have several models with 40+ miles per gallon, the TDI (diesel) is over
      fifty, and stylish as well.

      Hard to find a good TDI used, they are bringing premiums.

      I traded in my suburban for a Passat Wagon 1999 and although is is smaller
      it is much more efficient and peppy, not to mention cooler.

      I get about 28 mpg and drive hard most of the time. It is much closer to
      the ground and sometimes I feel like I am lost amidst the titans but I just
      whip around them and wave as they stop at the gas station. :)

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
      www.harvest-energy.com
      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
      Cell: 918-521-6223

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
        I just paid 2.53 a gallon in Montrose and gas is expected to rise within the
        week. I think that a Prius or Civic Hybrid would pay for itself over time
        if gas keeps going up. What should really take place is a premium price for
        those to drive inefficient vehicles. The people that drive Hummers pay the
        same price even though their vehicles use more. Why should those of us who
        are concerned with Global Warming, Energy Security and its effects on
        Geopolitical events pay the same price as those ignorant idiots who choose
        to ignore those subjects? No one is forcing them to buy more efficient
        vehicles but why should I have pay at the pump for their choices. Also,
        isn't the recently passed energy bill full of giveaways to the oil
        companies, why should they be profiting from both consumers and political
        connections. We are paying them twice, once at the pump and second through
        their subsidization with out tax dollars. If the American people want to
        continue their empirical war in IraQ the children of those who voted for
        Bush should be drafted first.

        I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
        will probably croak next time she tanks up.

        I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
        Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
        than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
        hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
        assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
        mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
        because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
        readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
        scientist/engineer type.

        Robert Johnston

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Israel Palacios
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
          Oil is supposed to reach 80 or 100 dollars by the end of the year. People
          will be to busy listening to perfectly timed messages from Osama bin Laden
          to even notice.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 15, 2005
            With respect to the price of energy, hedge funds like the one T. Boone Pickens operates are part of the problem. Those funds have been buying futures contacts on the NYMEX for the last year pushing up the price. When he's quoted as saying "Oil prices going higher", he's talking his position. The higher the price goes the more money he makes, several hundred million last year alone. Its not a secret, see the attached link. http://www.forbes.com/energy/2004/11/04/cx_tm_1104boonelander.html

            CNN said it is $3 in parts of California. Boone Pickens who has been correct in forecasting the moves through $40, $50 & $60 per barrel for oil, predicted last week S75 within the next 12 months.

            Wonder how that calcs to per gallon price of gasoline?

            J. Patrick Malone

            I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny will probably croak next time she tanks up.

            I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration, mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a scientist/engineer type.

            Robert Johnston

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • J. P. Malone
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15, 2005
              Regardless of his profit motive, his predictions have been the most
              accurate.

              J. Patrick Malone

              I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
              will probably croak next time she tanks up.

              I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
              Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
              than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
              hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
              assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
              mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
              because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
              readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
              scientist/engineer type.

              Robert Johnston

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links