Re: [hreg] what's so great about hybrids?

  • SBT Designs
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
      I just got back from New Orleans. Regular gas there was $2.69 in many, many
      locations. Brrrrrrrrrr. $3.00 is on the horizon

      Steven Shepard
      SBT Designs
      25581 IH-10 West
      San Antonio, Texas 78257
      (210) 698-7109
      www.sbtdesigns.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
        CNN said it is $3 in parts of California. Boone Pickens who has been
        correct in forecasting the moves through $40, $50 & $60 per barrel for oil,
        predicted last week S75 within the next 12 months.

        Wonder how that calcs to per gallon price of gasoline?

        J. Patrick Malone

        I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
        will probably croak next time she tanks up.

        I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
        Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
        than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
        hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
        assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
        mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
        because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
        readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
        scientist/engineer type.

        Robert Johnston

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
          I agree that they are economically attractive. When the premium pricing
          disappears, they may become significantly more so. But when my colleague
          purchased her hybrid (early 2005), this wasn't true. If you compared a
          hybrid with a similar car, for example, compared the Honda Civic Hybrid vs.
          the Honda Civic standard, allowing for the difference in price vs. the
          difference in fuel consumption, the hybrid proved to be more expensive to
          own and operate. Comparing a Prius vs. an SUV is not a fair pricing
          comparison; you need to compare comparable vehicles. As for the
          depreciation, that is a transient thing; I wouldn't count on it persisting.
          Prius isn't the first car model that was "hot" for a time. (I remember when
          the Chrysler PT Cruiser first came out and sold for well above MSRP, those
          that got theirs early could flip them for a nice profit or at least not lose
          money to depreciation. But see what they go for now!).

          Just for grins, I redid the numbers as I did before I purchased my Honda
          Civic a few months ago. From Carpoint.com, a base model Civic Hybrid goes
          for $19,900 MSRP and $18,183 base invoice. Good luck getting one for less
          than MSRP, of course! On the other hand, a regular Civic LX 5-spd with
          front side airbags (the closest match I can find to the Hybrid) goes for
          $15,860 MSRP and $14497 retail. Since I just bought a Civic for a couple
          hundred over invoice, I know that is feasible. Just the same, let's be real
          conservative and assume a $4000 difference in cost. If we assume 50:50
          city/hwy driving, then the Civic Hybrid averages 48.5 mpg and the standard
          Civic averages 35 mpg. If we assume you own the car for 100,000 miles, then
          you will save 795 gal. Assume gas at $2.50/gal, and that is $1988 or
          approximately half the difference in cost.

          Now, when I was contemplating purchasing a hybrid, and when my colleague
          actually did purchase one, gas was cheaper. Also, the hybrid tax credit was
          small and disappearing. Today the situation is different. With the new
          energy law and tax credit extension, the $2000 credit would more than cover
          the remaining cost difference, especially when you take into account that it
          is $2000 in post-tax savings whereas gas is purchased with pre-tax dollars.
          So, yes, the hybrid makes economic sense today, whereas it didn't in the
          period I was referring to. (The "economic sense" is artificial, since it is
          just government stimulus, but to the consumer it is real money nonetheless.
          Please don't start an argument on the true cost of oil, etc., either. I'm
          just addressing the consumer's viewpoint).

          It should be noted that unknowns include future resale value, and
          reliability/future maintenance costs of hybrids.

          Maybe someone else will have a different perspective on this.

          Robert Johnston

        • Robert Johnston
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
            Correction: I incorrectly said it was a $2000 tax credit. I just checked
            the IRS website and it is a $2000 deduction. So the actual after-tax
            savings for people in the 28% tax bracket is $560, not enough to make up the
            difference in cost of the hybrid vs. conventional car. So, I think unless
            gas prices go up considerably more, it still may not make economic sense to
            the consumer (unless you want to gamble on hypothetical advantages in
            depreciation, etc.).

            Robert

          • John Miggins
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
              Go VW baby,
              they have several models with 40+ miles per gallon, the TDI (diesel) is over
              fifty, and stylish as well.

              Hard to find a good TDI used, they are bringing premiums.

              I traded in my suburban for a Passat Wagon 1999 and although is is smaller
              it is much more efficient and peppy, not to mention cooler.

              I get about 28 mpg and drive hard most of the time. It is much closer to
              the ground and sometimes I feel like I am lost amidst the titans but I just
              whip around them and wave as they stop at the gas station. :)

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
              Cell: 918-521-6223

              Correction: I incorrectly said it was a $2000 tax credit. I just checked
              the IRS website and it is a $2000 deduction. So the actual after-tax
              savings for people in the 28% tax bracket is $560, not enough to make up the
              difference in cost of the hybrid vs. conventional car. So, I think unless
              gas prices go up considerably more, it still may not make economic sense to
              the consumer (unless you want to gamble on hypothetical advantages in
              depreciation, etc.).

              Robert

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Israel Palacios
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
                I just paid 2.53 a gallon in Montrose and gas is expected to rise within the
                week. I think that a Prius or Civic Hybrid would pay for itself over time
                if gas keeps going up. What should really take place is a premium price for
                those to drive inefficient vehicles. The people that drive Hummers pay the
                same price even though their vehicles use more. Why should those of us who
                are concerned with Global Warming, Energy Security and its effects on
                Geopolitical events pay the same price as those ignorant idiots who choose
                to ignore those subjects? No one is forcing them to buy more efficient
                vehicles but why should I have pay at the pump for their choices. Also,
                isn't the recently passed energy bill full of giveaways to the oil
                companies, why should they be profiting from both consumers and political
                connections. We are paying them twice, once at the pump and second through
                their subsidization with out tax dollars. If the American people want to
                continue their empirical war in IraQ the children of those who voted for
                Bush should be drafted first.

                I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
                will probably croak next time she tanks up.

                I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
                Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
                than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
                hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
                assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
                mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
                because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
                readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
                scientist/engineer type.

                Robert Johnston

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Israel Palacios
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 14, 2005
                  Oil is supposed to reach 80 or 100 dollars by the end of the year. People
                  will be to busy listening to perfectly timed messages from Osama bin Laden
                  to even notice.

                  I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
                  will probably croak next time she tanks up.

                  I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
                  Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
                  than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
                  hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
                  assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
                  mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
                  because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
                  readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
                  scientist/engineer type.

                  Robert Johnston

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Brian Harrison
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 15, 2005
                    With respect to the price of energy, hedge funds like the one T. Boone Pickens operates are part of the problem. Those funds have been buying futures contacts on the NYMEX for the last year pushing up the price. When he's quoted as saying "Oil prices going higher", he's talking his position. The higher the price goes the more money he makes, several hundred million last year alone. Its not a secret, see the attached link. http://www.forbes.com/energy/2004/11/04/cx_tm_1104boonelander.html

                    CNN said it is $3 in parts of California. Boone Pickens who has been correct in forecasting the moves through $40, $50 & $60 per barrel for oil, predicted last week S75 within the next 12 months.

                    Wonder how that calcs to per gallon price of gasoline?

                    J. Patrick Malone

                    I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny will probably croak next time she tanks up.

                    I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration, mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a scientist/engineer type.

                    Robert Johnston

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • J. P. Malone
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 15, 2005
                      Regardless of his profit motive, his predictions have been the most
                      accurate.

                      J. Patrick Malone

                      I drove by my local Exxon yesterday and saw regular at $2.50/gal. Granny
                      will probably croak next time she tanks up.

                      I don't know much about cars, but what was the performance like on your
                      Civic VX? If I recall correctly, its technology gave it better performance
                      than other small, efficient cars like the Geo Metro. But I think the
                      hybrids today are offering even better performance, aren't they? I'm
                      assuming that is the draw. By performance I'm referring to acceleration,
                      mostly. I have a colleague who drives a Prius and she said she bought it
                      because she liked the technology, bells and whistles. It was "cool". She
                      readily admitted there wasn't any economic benefit. She's also a
                      scientist/engineer type.

                      Robert Johnston

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links