Re: [hreg] Nozzle suggestions for roof water spray?

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
      I just used a couple inexpensive circular sprinklers on the test system, right now I just fire them up and let them complete one revolution wait 10 minutes and repeat. The idea is to wet the roof rather than spray a mist. The misters would have the affect of cooling the air above the roof rather than the roof it self.
      We will probably run a perimeter 1/2 pvc with small holes drilled in them for a stream spray then add more holes until we get complete coverage. I'm worried about nozzles clogging, the water in San Antonio is quite hard.

      David
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20 11:09 AM
        I understand what you are saying about covering the roof with water
        rather than a mist like on a cooling system around an AC outside
        unit. But what about a house with a ridge and moderate pitch?

        In my work doing industrial cleaning I've worked a bit with nozzles on
        shower booms. You have to balance pressure, static head, nozzle
        spacing and total gallons per minute to get a shower to work. If
        someone has already done the basic design it would help a lot.

        I have a family member with an old house and inefficient AC. But, she
        is on a community water system where she pays a flat rate for her
        water regardless the consumption. Pressure seems fine. Any
        suggestions on a roof water cooling system?

        Her house must be 60 feet or longer across the main ridge.

        By the way, it was built in 1950 on a 125 acre farm. While still
        under construction she planted some hardwoods for shade. The workers
        laughed at her. Now, those are wonderful shade trees which are a
        tremendous help on keeping the house cool. Also, the front porch
        faces South with enough depth to keep shade in the summer.

        Thanks for any nozzle suggestions.

        Todd

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "David Power" <dpower@h...> wrote:
        > I just used a couple inexpensive circular sprinklers on the test
        system, right now I just fire them up and let them complete one
        revolution wait 10 minutes and repeat. The idea is to wet the roof
        rather than spray a mist. The misters would have the affect of cooling
        the air above the roof rather than the roof it self.
        > We will probably run a perimeter 1/2 pvc with small holes drilled in
        them for a stream spray then add more holes until we get complete
        coverage. I'm worried about nozzles clogging, the water in San Antonio
        is quite hard.

        > David
      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20 12:31 PM
          Greetings,
          There is a complete description of a system on a building 70 ft by 40 ft in
          the files section on the HREG home page. One of these days I will find
          time to upload the pictures of the system that Lunce kindly took for
          me. We use sprinklers, not nozzles. Sprinklers are made to withstand the
          environment better.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          At 01:09 PM 8/20/2005, you wrote:
          >I understand what you are saying about covering the roof with water
          >rather than a mist like on a cooling system around an AC outside
          >unit. But what about a house with a ridge and moderate pitch?
          >
          >In my work doing industrial cleaning I've worked a bit with nozzles on
          >shower booms. You have to balance pressure, static head, nozzle
          >spacing and total gallons per minute to get a shower to work. If
          >someone has already done the basic design it would help a lot.
          >
          >I have a family member with an old house and inefficient AC. But, she
          >is on a community water system where she pays a flat rate for her
          >water regardless the consumption. Pressure seems fine. Any
          >suggestions on a roof water cooling system?
          >
          >Her house must be 60 feet or longer across the main ridge.
          >
          >By the way, it was built in 1950 on a 125 acre farm. While still
          >under construction she planted some hardwoods for shade. The workers
          >laughed at her. Now, those are wonderful shade trees which are a
          >tremendous help on keeping the house cool. Also, the front porch
          >faces South with enough depth to keep shade in the summer.
          >
          >Thanks for any nozzle suggestions.
          >
          >Todd
          >
          >--- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "David Power" <dpower@h...> wrote:
          > > I just used a couple inexpensive circular sprinklers on the test
          >system, right now I just fire them up and let them complete one
          >revolution wait 10 minutes and repeat. The idea is to wet the roof
          >rather than spray a mist. The misters would have the affect of cooling
          >the air above the roof rather than the roof it self.
          > > We will probably run a perimeter 1/2 pvc with small holes drilled in
          >them for a stream spray then add more holes until we get complete
          >coverage. I'm worried about nozzles clogging, the water in San Antonio
          >is quite hard.
          > >
          > > David
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Todd
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22 1:15 PM
            Oh yes, I already looked at the roof cooling file with great
            interest. However, it was again with a regular yard sprinkler. Will
            that work on a house with a 7/12 pitch? I would rather have a small
            PVC pipe placed along the ridgeline of the roof with nozzles on either
            side.

            I'll talk with some folks in the agri business as they work with the
            same type nozzles for saturation of crops. I'll post any findings
            here on the board.

            Todd
            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@t...> wrote:
            > Greetings,
            > There is a complete description of a system on a building 70 ft by
            40 ft in
            > the files section on the HREG home page. One of these days I will
            find
            > time to upload the pictures of the system that Lunce kindly took for
            > me. We use sprinklers, not nozzles. Sprinklers are made to
            withstand the
            > environment better.
            > Bright Blessings,
            > Kim

          • Gary Beck
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22 1:47 PM

              I did this in the 80’s with ½” pvc pipe and brass misting spray heads hidden on the back side of my roof ridge. I had these on a thermostat controlled timer which also controlled vent fans mounted inside my turbo vents. This was on a composition roof on an old ranch style house with poor attic insulation.  This was at the time (before ridge vents, before foil coated decking etc.) .The latent heat of evaporation released by the water pulls a very substantial amount of BTUs (which are quickly replaced by the Texas sun). I’m sure it was puzzling for my neighbors to see vapor coming off a hot roof with spinning turbo vents on a calm hot day.

              Today a system like this may be useful for properly designed ‘green roof”, or possibly off grid homes with access to water.  However, for new construction the many faster return options like advanced decking materials, insulation and venting systems should be considered first.    Also, this may have been mentioned already, but a caution on tile or composition roof would be discoloration due to left behind minerals which I experienced.

              Gary Beck, P.E.

              Eco-Holdings LLC

              4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

              Houston, Texas 77025