Re: [hreg] To Charlie

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000
      Hello Diane,

      We had a pretty good discussion going for awhile but it looks like things
      have slowed down lately. There was quite a bit of interest and most comments
      were positive but guess everyone is busy.

      I am totally snowed with my campaign running for Railroad Commissioner on the
      Green Party ticket. It is unlikely that I will win but since there is no
      Democrat in the race - just the Republican incumbent, a Libertarian who is
      not campaigning, and me - I hope to make a good showing and who knows?
      Lightning strikes, people win the lottery. So I have been traveling,
      interviewing, running all out (with much help from a lot of great Green
      volunteers) just to see what happens. If by some chance I am elected I will
      be the only out of the closet, in your face, no apologies environmentalist
      holding statewide office and could at least talk about phasing out fossil
      fuels, replacing with renewables, and other such useful things. Have been
      reading what is said here but not contributing much to the discussion lately.

      But the fact remains that I need to move from yuppie haven where I live at
      present. My six-month contract just expired (I always sign the shortest term
      I can) and I had to either sign a new contract (9 month minimum) or go month
      to month in which case the bandits would have increased my rent by $160 per
      month. So I did, but it really made me angry.

      I have organized a discussion group of about 5 or 6 people to talk about
      other forms of housing. I don't want to live in either of the usual
      alternatives - the suburbs or an apartment. In fact we are meeting at
      Butera's deli on Montrose at 6pm today if anyone would like to join us. We
      are considering finding a big old house where everyone would have private
      quarters but share a living and dining room, or whatever - just
      brainstorming. And I plan to suggest to them today that we might build a new
      place or possibly build or renovate a small apartment building along the
      lines this group has been talking about.

      Sorry about such a longwinded response but you asked, so that's where I am at
      present. Hope we can stir up some more comments here. I really gotta move.

      Take care,
      Charlie