RE: [hreg] Roof sprinklers

  • Leonard Bachman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
      Hi all,
      I was part of a company that developed an evaporative spray roof cooling
      system here in Houston. The science was based on work by Yellot and similar
      contributions by Givoni. We eventually did an ASHRAE study with the TAMU
      Energy Systems Lab and installed projects all across the country.

      In Houston, we used a roof temperature set point of about 94F, below which
      we did not spray the roof. About 0.1 gallons per square foot per day will do
      the job with no run-off or water waste. Spray about 10 seconds every ten
      minutes and expect to decrease heat gain through the roof by about 90%.
      Energy savings on a well insulated roof and well ventilated attic will be
      minimal however. Our work was mostly on large commercial roofs or
      refrigerated facilities.

      This can also double the life of your roof since high surface temperatures
      and thermal shock are the worst of degradation. On metal roofs it decreases
      movement and resulting leakage... it even arrests gravel migration on built
      up roofs... but now I am running on.

      Cheers,

      LB

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        I'm definitely going to give this a try. I haven't heard of this one. It’s
        easy.

        I'm on a cistern /well system

        Thanks for the info

        Mike Schmitt