Re: [hreg] Roof sprinklers

  • Lunce
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
      Thank you!!

      Paul Archer wrote:

> [...]
      >the roof for cooling. My roof is a 1 in 12 pitch made of galvalume.
      >
      >The sprinkler system itself is 1/2" PVC run up the outside of the building
      >and weighted down with sand bags at the ground and on the roof. I am using
      >3, sprinklers, one full circle and 2 semicircles to cover a 40' x 70'
      >building. I have drains to the system at both ends of the building. My
      >husband
      >built the control unit. We took the solenoid from an old washing machine,
      >so it operates on 120V, bought a relay timer from Midstate electric, in
      >Bryan
      >and wired it in. If you need more information on the electronics of the
      >system, I will get him to answer.
      >
      >We have now run the system for 2 years and have not had to replace any
      >parts. We did flush the system with the sprinklers removed in the spring as
      >it
      >did build up algae, but we are on a well, so our water is not chlorinated.
      >We are in the process of installing gutters on the building and putting in a
      >water catchment system for our raised garden beds. [Pictures and function
      >to be posted when it is in use.] Our water has a high salt content that has
      >gotten much worse since the Tenasca power plant went into operation in
      >Shiro.
      >
      >The cycle timer I used is an IDEC electronic timer model GT3W - A11AF20. It
      >uses a standard octal pin arrangement that relays use, therefore a standard
      >relay socket. The coil is rated for 100 - 240 VAC, the contacts at 5 Amps @
      >120VAC or 30VDC, or 3 Amps @ 240 VAC. We are using a set of solenoids
      >from an old washing machine, which are 120VAC, and since there are 2
      >contacts on the timer, I ran them in parallel, which gives me a max. of 10
      >Amps
      >out. This timer can be programmed for any configuration of outputs you
      >want, using T1 and T2 any way you want.
      >

      >11:08am, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:
      >

      >>Greetings,
      >>
      >>I am being bombarded off list with questions on my sprinkler system,
      >>therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
      >>idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.
      >>
      >>We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
      >>to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
      >>up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
      >>from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
      >>them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
      >>it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
      >>bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
      >>out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
      >>thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
      >>try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        At 11:15 AM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
        >Here's the information that you sent me a while back, Kim. (Thanks!)

        Thanks Paul,

        I was dreading asking him to write it out again.

        UPDATE:
        We no longer use 2 sprinklers on semicircles, but now use all 3 sprinklers
        on full circles. We found this requires less water pressure so it is
        easier on our well. A pleasant surprise is that the cheapest plastic
        sprinklers work best. Last year I had replaced the damaged sprinklers with
        a better quality of metal ones and regretted my decision all summer. They
        constantly plugged off and were totally temperamental. We went back to the
        cheap plastic ones this year and the system is working well again.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim
      • Naturallighting.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          Controls,

          I set up similar system, used sprinkler timer (4 to 8 zones) and valves from
          Home Depot or Lowes.

          Low voltage, can set up separate zones, etc.

          Larry Weber

          Naturallighting.com
          1939 Richvale
          Houston, Texas 77062

          Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
          FAX 281.488.0823

          email: larry@...
          http://www.naturallighting.com
        • Leonard Bachman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
            Hi all,
            I was part of a company that developed an evaporative spray roof cooling
            system here in Houston. The science was based on work by Yellot and similar
            contributions by Givoni. We eventually did an ASHRAE study with the TAMU
            Energy Systems Lab and installed projects all across the country.

            In Houston, we used a roof temperature set point of about 94F, below which
            we did not spray the roof. About 0.1 gallons per square foot per day will do
            the job with no run-off or water waste. Spray about 10 seconds every ten
            minutes and expect to decrease heat gain through the roof by about 90%.
            Energy savings on a well insulated roof and well ventilated attic will be
            minimal however. Our work was mostly on large commercial roofs or
            refrigerated facilities.

            This can also double the life of your roof since high surface temperatures
            and thermal shock are the worst of degradation. On metal roofs it decreases
            movement and resulting leakage... it even arrests gravel migration on built
            up roofs... but now I am running on.

            Cheers,

            LB

> [...]

            >> We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
            >> to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
            >> up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
            >> from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to
            have
            >> them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into
            building
            >> it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
            >> bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to
            write
            >> out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
            >> thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
            >> try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

          • Mike Schmitt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              I'm definitely going to give this a try. I haven't heard of this one. It’s
              easy.

              I'm on a cistern /well system

              Thanks for the info

              Mike Schmitt