Re: [hreg] Roof sprinklers

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12 9:15 AM
      Here's the information that you sent me a while back, Kim. (Thanks!)

      The idea of running a sprinkler on the roof was tested by an earlier member
      of HREG, and my apologize as I don't remember who did it. [blush, blush!]
      I should be in the archives. Anyway, that person used a sprinkler for one
      summer and discovered a 30% decrease in his electric bill after taking into
      account the rise in his water bill. However, having a shingle roof made the
      project of limited interest since it does damage that type of roof to be
      constantly wet.

      I had to put in a new building in a hurry since a tornado touched down on my
      property and severely damage my home structurally. I put in a metal
      building and specified that it must be able to handle a sprinkler system on
      the roof for cooling. My roof is a 1 in 12 pitch made of galvalume.

      The sprinkler system itself is 1/2" PVC run up the outside of the building
      and weighted down with sand bags at the ground and on the roof. I am using
      3, sprinklers, one full circle and 2 semicircles to cover a 40' x 70'
      building. I have drains to the system at both ends of the building. My
      husband
      built the control unit. We took the solenoid from an old washing machine,
      so it operates on 120V, bought a relay timer from Midstate electric, in
      Bryan
      and wired it in. If you need more information on the electronics of the
      system, I will get him to answer.

      We have now run the system for 2 years and have not had to replace any
      parts. We did flush the system with the sprinklers removed in the spring as
      it
      did build up algae, but we are on a well, so our water is not chlorinated.
      We are in the process of installing gutters on the building and putting in a
      water catchment system for our raised garden beds. [Pictures and function
      to be posted when it is in use.] Our water has a high salt content that has
      gotten much worse since the Tenasca power plant went into operation in
      Shiro.

      The cycle timer I used is an IDEC electronic timer model GT3W - A11AF20. It
      uses a standard octal pin arrangement that relays use, therefore a standard
      relay socket. The coil is rated for 100 - 240 VAC, the contacts at 5 Amps @
      120VAC or 30VDC, or 3 Amps @ 240 VAC. We are using a set of solenoids
      from an old washing machine, which are 120VAC, and since there are 2
      contacts on the timer, I ran them in parallel, which gives me a max. of 10
      Amps
      out. This timer can be programmed for any configuration of outputs you
      want, using T1 and T2 any way you want.

      11:08am, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I am being bombarded off list with questions on my sprinkler system,
      > therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
      > idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.
      >
      > We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
      > to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
      > up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
      > from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
      > them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
      > it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
      > bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
      > out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
      > thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
      > try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy
      > this time so it doesn't get lost again.
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      "We Americans, we're a simple people...
      but piss us off, and we'll bomb your cities."
      --------------Robin Williams------------------
    • Lunce
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12 9:23 AM
        Thank you!!

        Paul Archer wrote:

> [...]
        >>therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
        >>idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.
        >>
        >>We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
        >>to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
        >>up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
        >>from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
        >>them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
        >>it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
        >>bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
        >>out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
        >>thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
        >>try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12 9:35 AM
          At 11:15 AM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
          >Here's the information that you sent me a while back, Kim. (Thanks!)

          Thanks Paul,

          I was dreading asking him to write it out again.

          UPDATE:
          We no longer use 2 sprinklers on semicircles, but now use all 3 sprinklers
          on full circles. We found this requires less water pressure so it is
          easier on our well. A pleasant surprise is that the cheapest plastic
          sprinklers work best. Last year I had replaced the damaged sprinklers with
          a better quality of metal ones and regretted my decision all summer. They
          constantly plugged off and were totally temperamental. We went back to the
          cheap plastic ones this year and the system is working well again.

          Bright Blessings,
          Kim
        • Naturallighting.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12 10:01 AM
            Controls,

            I set up similar system, used sprinkler timer (4 to 8 zones) and valves from
            Home Depot or Lowes.

            Low voltage, can set up separate zones, etc.

            Larry Weber

            Naturallighting.com
            1939 Richvale
            Houston, Texas 77062

            Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
            FAX 281.488.0823

            email: larry@...
            http://www.naturallighting.com
          • Leonard Bachman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12 1:45 PM
              Hi all,
              I was part of a company that developed an evaporative spray roof cooling
              system here in Houston. The science was based on work by Yellot and similar
              contributions by Givoni. We eventually did an ASHRAE study with the TAMU
              Energy Systems Lab and installed projects all across the country.

              In Houston, we used a roof temperature set point of about 94F, below which
              we did not spray the roof. About 0.1 gallons per square foot per day will do
              the job with no run-off or water waste. Spray about 10 seconds every ten
              minutes and expect to decrease heat gain through the roof by about 90%.
              Energy savings on a well insulated roof and well ventilated attic will be
              minimal however. Our work was mostly on large commercial roofs or
              refrigerated facilities.

              This can also double the life of your roof since high surface temperatures
              and thermal shock are the worst of degradation. On metal roofs it decreases
              movement and resulting leakage... it even arrests gravel migration on built
              up roofs... but now I am running on.

              Cheers,

              LB

> [...]

              >> We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
              >> to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
              >> up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
              >> from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to
              have
              >> them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into
              building
              >> it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
              >> bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to
              write
              >> out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
              >> thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
              >> try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

            • Mike Schmitt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12 6:14 PM
                I'm definitely going to give this a try. I haven't heard of this one. It’s
                easy.

                I'm on a cistern /well system

                Thanks for the info

                Mike Schmitt