Roof sprinklers

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
      Greetings,

      I am being bombarded off list with questions on my sprinkler system,
      therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
      idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.

      We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
      to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
      up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
      from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
      them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
      it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
      bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
      out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
      thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
      try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy
      this time so it doesn't get lost again.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        Here's the information that you sent me a while back, Kim. (Thanks!)

        The idea of running a sprinkler on the roof was tested by an earlier member
        of HREG, and my apologize as I don't remember who did it. [blush, blush!]
        I should be in the archives. Anyway, that person used a sprinkler for one
        summer and discovered a 30% decrease in his electric bill after taking into
        account the rise in his water bill. However, having a shingle roof made the
        project of limited interest since it does damage that type of roof to be
        constantly wet.

        I had to put in a new building in a hurry since a tornado touched down on my
        property and severely damage my home structurally. I put in a metal
        building and specified that it must be able to handle a sprinkler system on
        the roof for cooling. My roof is a 1 in 12 pitch made of galvalume.

        The sprinkler system itself is 1/2" PVC run up the outside of the building
        and weighted down with sand bags at the ground and on the roof. I am using
        3, sprinklers, one full circle and 2 semicircles to cover a 40' x 70'
        building. I have drains to the system at both ends of the building. My
        husband
        built the control unit. We took the solenoid from an old washing machine,
        so it operates on 120V, bought a relay timer from Midstate electric, in
        Bryan
        and wired it in. If you need more information on the electronics of the
        system, I will get him to answer.

        We have now run the system for 2 years and have not had to replace any
        parts. We did flush the system with the sprinklers removed in the spring as
        it
        did build up algae, but we are on a well, so our water is not chlorinated.
        We are in the process of installing gutters on the building and putting in a
        water catchment system for our raised garden beds. [Pictures and function
        to be posted when it is in use.] Our water has a high salt content that has
        gotten much worse since the Tenasca power plant went into operation in
        Shiro.

        The cycle timer I used is an IDEC electronic timer model GT3W - A11AF20. It
        uses a standard octal pin arrangement that relays use, therefore a standard
        relay socket. The coil is rated for 100 - 240 VAC, the contacts at 5 Amps @
        120VAC or 30VDC, or 3 Amps @ 240 VAC. We are using a set of solenoids
        from an old washing machine, which are 120VAC, and since there are 2
        contacts on the timer, I ran them in parallel, which gives me a max. of 10
        Amps
        out. This timer can be programmed for any configuration of outputs you
        want, using T1 and T2 any way you want.

        11:08am, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am being bombarded off list with questions on my sprinkler system,
        > therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
        > idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.
        >
        > We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
        > to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
        > up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
        > from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
        > them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
        > it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
        > bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
        > out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
        > thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
        > try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy
        > this time so it doesn't get lost again.
        >
        > Bright Blessings,
        > Kim
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        "We Americans, we're a simple people...
        but piss us off, and we'll bomb your cities."
        --------------Robin Williams------------------
      • Lunce
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          Thank you!!

          Paul Archer wrote:

> [...]
          >>therefore, I am putting the answer on list. I am not the originator of the
          >>idea, it was James Ferrill back in July 2000, starting at message # 261.
          >>
          >>We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
          >>to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
          >>up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
          >>from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to have
          >>them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into building
          >>it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
          >>bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to write
          >>out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
          >>thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
          >>try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
            At 11:15 AM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
            >Here's the information that you sent me a while back, Kim. (Thanks!)

            Thanks Paul,

            I was dreading asking him to write it out again.

            UPDATE:
            We no longer use 2 sprinklers on semicircles, but now use all 3 sprinklers
            on full circles. We found this requires less water pressure so it is
            easier on our well. A pleasant surprise is that the cheapest plastic
            sprinklers work best. Last year I had replaced the damaged sprinklers with
            a better quality of metal ones and regretted my decision all summer. They
            constantly plugged off and were totally temperamental. We went back to the
            cheap plastic ones this year and the system is working well again.

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim
          • Naturallighting.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              Controls,

              I set up similar system, used sprinkler timer (4 to 8 zones) and valves from
              Home Depot or Lowes.

              Low voltage, can set up separate zones, etc.

              Larry Weber

              Naturallighting.com
              1939 Richvale
              Houston, Texas 77062

              Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
              FAX 281.488.0823

              email: larry@...
              http://www.naturallighting.com
            • Leonard Bachman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                Hi all,
                I was part of a company that developed an evaporative spray roof cooling
                system here in Houston. The science was based on work by Yellot and similar
                contributions by Givoni. We eventually did an ASHRAE study with the TAMU
                Energy Systems Lab and installed projects all across the country.

                In Houston, we used a roof temperature set point of about 94F, below which
                we did not spray the roof. About 0.1 gallons per square foot per day will do
                the job with no run-off or water waste. Spray about 10 seconds every ten
                minutes and expect to decrease heat gain through the roof by about 90%.
                Energy savings on a well insulated roof and well ventilated attic will be
                minimal however. Our work was mostly on large commercial roofs or
                refrigerated facilities.

                This can also double the life of your roof since high surface temperatures
                and thermal shock are the worst of degradation. On metal roofs it decreases
                movement and resulting leakage... it even arrests gravel migration on built
                up roofs... but now I am running on.

                Cheers,

                LB

> [...]

                >> We have a metal building and from what James said, a metal roof is needed
                >> to make this system work. We have 3 sprinklers that go around in circles
                >> up on our roof. The sprinklers come on for 20 seconds every 10 minutes
                >> from the time I turn them on until we turn them off. I would like to
                have
                >> them on a photo voltaic circuit, but I have yet to talk hubby into
                building
                >> it for me. He salvaged a servo valve from an old washing machine and
                >> bought the timer at Mid-State Electronics in Bryan. I did get him to
                write
                >> out a detailed description of the system a couple of years ago and I
                >> thought I put it in the files sections, but it is not there now. I will
                >> try to get him to write it out again and I will make sure I save a copy

              • Mike Schmitt
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                  I'm definitely going to give this a try. I haven't heard of this one. It’s
                  easy.

                  I'm on a cistern /well system

                  Thanks for the info

                  Mike Schmitt