Peak Oil Conference Saturday afternoon

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2005
      Peak Oil MINI CONFERENCE
      SATURDAY, JULY 9, 2005
      1-5:30 p.m.
      First Unitarian Universalist Church
      5200 Fannin Street @ Southmore, Houston, Texas 77004

      What is Peak Oil?

      After growing for a century, global oil production will
      peak soon and begin to decline. Then the price of oil
      will rise drastically changing our property values, food
      prices, and our economy. "Cheap oil is now just part
      of history. Expect $5.00 a gallon gasoline within the
      next few years" said Time magazine (5/9/05).

      Peak oil will be between 2007 and 2009 forecasts
      Houston oil investment banker, Matthew Simmons.
      The US government thinks the peak may be decades
      from now. Other experts predict the peak in late 2005
      or 2007. We'll never agree about when the peak is
      until it's well behind us say experts in the documentary
      film, The End of Suburbia.

      This movie, to be shown at the mini conference,
      shows how the aftermath of peak oil will be the end of
      suburbia. When we built the suburbs far from work and
      shopping, we assumed that cheap oil would continue
      forever. It will take more than a decade for the US
      economy to adapt to declining oil production
      according to energy analyst Robert L. Hirsch in a
      February report to US Department of Energy.

      For decades, movements have been growing that offer
      wise responses to peak oil: energy efficiency,
      alternative energy, sustainability, organic and local
      food, and smart growth. Come meet Houston
      representatives of these solution movements.

      Are you ready for rising energy prices? Bring your
      questions and ideas as we face the challenges of
      transition and envision a future without cheap oil.

      Schedule of Activities
      1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Workshops on how to prepare for the changes caused by Peak
      Oil
      1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Screening of The End of Suburbia
      2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Panel discussion
      3:30 - 5:15 p.m. Open Space Technology - When attendees identify critical
      issues, learn from each other, & find solutions.
      5:15 - 5:30 p.m. Closing

      Panelists
      Reginald Adams, Sierra Club BEC campaign & Pres. of LARA
      Dan Barnum, architect and city planner
      Bill Crosier, Progressive Action Alliance
      Brian Herod, www.HoustonSustainability.net
      Robin Holzer, www.citizenstransportation coalition.org
      Alfred Molison, Co-Chair of Green Party of Texas
      Juan Parras,,TSU Environmental Law & Justice Center
      Dr. Bob Randall, Urban Harvest, www.UrbanHarvest.org

      Sponsors
      Community Involvement Committee of First Unitarian
      Universalist Church, www.firstuu.org
      Green Party of Texas, www.txgreens.org
      Green Sanctuary, First Unitarian Universalist Church
      Harris County Green Party, www.harriscountygreenparty.org
      Progressive Action Alliance, http://progressiveactionalliance.org
      TSU Environmental Law & Justice Center,
      www.tsu.edu/academics/law/clinics/clinics/environment.asp

      Donation of $5.00 is suggested, but no one will be turned
      away. Funds in excess of expenses will be given to First
      Unitarian Universalist Church for the use of the facility.
      coming soon to gas stations near you... $100.00 Fill-ups

      Contact: Don Cook 713 705 5594 or Alfred Molison, AlfredM123@...
      713 726-9009

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...