Ahnold "The Terminator" has become an environmentalist?

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005

      IT'S NOT A TIME FOR TALK. IT'S A TIME FOR ACTION
      By Arnold Schwarzenegger
      The Independent
      July 3, 2005

      http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article296377.ece

      I don't know how apparent it is to people in Britain, but California has
      long been a leader in environmental protection. We have never taken for
      granted the clean air, clean water and natural beauty that make our state
      such a desirable place to live, to work, and to raise our families. That's
      why, when I became Governor of California, I announced a bold agenda to
      continue and strengthen our commitment to meeting the many environmental
      challenges we face.

      During the past 18 months, we created the 25 million-acre Sierra Nevada
      Conservancy, the largest conservancy in the nation; we opened the path to
      the Hydrogen Highway, which will encourage the building of hydrogen fuelling
      stations and the use of hydrogen-fuelled vehicles; we sponsored the first
      Ocean Protection Act in the nation to protect and restore our ocean
      resources; and we secured permanent funding to reduce emissions from dirty
      engines and equipment.

      In addition, with our Green Building Initiative, we have put the biggest
      user of electricity in California -- the state government itself -- on an
      energy diet. By requiring new state buildings to use the latest
      environmentally friendly and energy efficient design and construction
      methods, we will reduce electricity and water use by more than 20 per cent
      in our state-owned facilities.

      Now it is time for Californians to seriously address the issue of climate
      change and its potential to create havoc with our environment and economy.
      The debate is over. We know the science. We see the threat posed by changes
      in our climate. And we know the time for action is now.

      I launched our effort when California hosted the United Nations World
      Environment Day Conference in San Francisco last month, where leaders from
      around the world gathered to discuss our shared responsibility for
      protecting the earth. It was there that I signed an executive order to
      establish clear and ambitious goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in
      our state: by the year 2010 our goal is to reduce our emissions to less than
      those we produced in 2000; by 2020 our goal is to make our emissions lower
      than 1990 levels; and by 2050 our goal is to reduce overall emissions to a
      full 80 per cent below those we produced in 1990.

      Greenhouse gases are emitted from every sector of the economy, and these
      pollutants blanket the globe, trapping heat and creating the "greenhouse"
      effect, often referred to as global warming. Global warming threatens
      California's water supply, public health, agriculture, coastlines and
      forests -- our entire economy and way of life. We have no choice but to take
      action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

      In order to achieve our goals, we are implementing California's landmark
      greenhouse gas law, which requires lower-emitting vehicles to be sold in our
      state, starting in 2009. We are accelerating the timetable to get more
      energy from renewable resources, such as wind, solar, geo-thermal and
      bio-mass conversion to 20 per cent by 2010 and 33 per cent by 2020. We have
      implemented the world's most stringent appliance and building efficiency
      standards. We are aggressively pursuing with the legislature my proposal to
      have one million solar-powered homes and buildings in California to save
      energy and reduce pollution. We are greening the state's fleet of government
      vehicles, to be the most fuel-efficient in the world.

      These steps are great for the environment and great for our economy, too.
      Many people have falsely assumed that you have to choose between protecting
      the environment and protecting the economy. Nothing could be further from
      the truth. In California, we will do both.

      That is why I am travelling around the state and my administration is
      holding a series of conservation summits for businesses around California,
      spreading the word that pollution reduction is good.

      Pollution reduction has long been a money saver for businesses. It lowers
      operating costs, raises profits and creates new and expanded markets for
      environmental technology.

      Many private businesses in California are cutting greenhouse gas emissions
      by simply improving efficiency. Others are also implementing cutting-edge
      hydrogen fuel technologies, installing advanced solar power systems and
      constructing environmentally friendly buildings.

      And best of all, many California companies are participating in the public
      and private partnerships that are being formed with the state and some of
      our leading universities and research centres to find innovative means to
      create a cleaner and healthier environment.

      All of these environmental technologies will allow us to conserve energy,
      cut pollution, protect our natural resources and create jobs for
      Californians. We must all accept the challenge to protect our environment.
      In California, I am pleased that we are once again providing leadership in
      this critical area. We understand that in this world in which we live, our
      actions sometimes have unintended consequences for our land, air and water.
      As John Muir, an immigrant from your islands who launched America's
      conservation movement here in California, once said: "When one tugs at a
      single thing in nature he finds it attached to the rest of the world." I ask
      citizens and governments everywhere to do their part by conserving energy,
      reducing the use of fossil fuels, reducing waste and taking every
      opportunity to work together for a cleaner, healthier tomorrow. It is not
      enough for us to be just caretakers of the world that we have been given, we
      must leave it a better place for future generations.

      This is our duty to those who share this world with us and to those who
      follow us.