RE: [hreg] Hot Water Heaters

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
      Message
      As the lack of responses to your question indicates, heat pump water heaters are pretty rare. I have only read of them. If the electricity to natural gas price ratio went down, then they could become more popular.  Remember that a gas water heater converts gas to heat at about 80% efficiency and a power plant converts gas to electricity at about 40% efficiency (both approx. #'s) so the heat pump water heater (which converts electricity to heat) would have to have a coefficient of performance greater than 2 to pay off from an efficiency standpoint.  This is more difficult the hotter you want your water. Hence John Miggins comment that heat pump water heaters are good for swimming pools (lower temperature).  And, though cost can be debated, he also has a very good point about solar water heaters.  These "convert" (harvest) heat to heat with a collection efficiency of 60-80%.

      So, if it's heat energy you want, think SOLAR - it's already hot!  Building interest in solar thermal applications such as solar water heaters will be the focus of the HREG meeting on July 31st.  I hope everyone will come and learn and get fired up!
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 21, 2005
        to anyone interested in giving some advice:

        1. is there a training program in the state of texas
        where one can study to become a solar contractor?

        2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
        contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
        am ready to build a small, portable system that would
        power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
        to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
        outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
        $1000-$1500.

        i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
        appreciate it if someone would be willing to
        communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
        smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
        don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
        into action.
      • Andrew McCalla
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
          Noyes,

          One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
          www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
          here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
          next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
          program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
          excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
          involved in what you would like to do.

          Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
          sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the smaller
          loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
          fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
          propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.

          Andrew H. McCalla
          Meridian Energy Systems
          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
          Austin, TX 78704

          Voice: (512) 448-0055
          Fax: (512) 448-0045
          www.meridiansolar.com

          to anyone interested in giving some advice:

          1. is there a training program in the state of texas
          where one can study to become a solar contractor?

          2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
          contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
          am ready to build a small, portable system that would
          power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
          to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
          outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
          $1000-$1500.

          i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
          appreciate it if someone would be willing to
          communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
          smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
          don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
          into action.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • SBT Designs
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
            I suppose. SEI has also taken a lot of solar business away from and out of
            the state from Texas solar vendors.

            There is a tendency for Texas government agencies, municipalities,
            non-profits and utilities to take funds from Texas taxpayers and rate payers
            and send that money out of state to other suppliers and vendors due to some
            mistaken perception that resources and skills may not be present here in the
            state. It is disturbing when Texas vendors also concede business
            opportunities to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

            If and when we conduct business in our communities and with local businesses
            our local funds, resources, sales taxes and pay checks stay in our community
            and help to build our Texas communities by paying wages, feeding our
            families, paying property taxes and sales taxes. Our funds stay in our
            community. In that regard, it is certainly a mistake if not immoral for our
            own state/county government, cities, businesses and local non-profits to
            encourage our citizens to conduct business out of the state. I would think
            that fact would be more than obvious.

            I have conducted numerous presentations on Net-metered Solar Power Systems
            for the San Antonio chapter of the AIA, for the Houston Greenbuilding
            Council chapter and for the South Texas chapter of the Energy Engineering
            Association. If the Renewable Energy Fair occurs this weekend there will be
            similar presentations available in Fredericksburg. It is incumbent upon
            Texas solar vendors to step up to the plate and provide this type of
            educational and informational service if there is a valid demand and
            requirement here in the state. It is vitally important we not concede this
            business to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

            Steven Shepard
            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257
            (210) 698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com

            > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
            > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
            > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
            > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
            > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
            > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
            > involved in what you would like to do.
            >
            > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
            > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
            > smaller
            > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
            > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
            > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
            >

            > Andrew H. McCalla
            > Meridian Energy Systems
            > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
            > Austin, TX 78704
            >
            > Voice: (512) 448-0055
            > Fax: (512) 448-0045
            > www.meridiansolar.com

          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
              Steve,

              You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.

              To be clear:

              SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from Texas
              solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
              the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the occasional
              "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
              there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
              business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
              that the increased awareness they create actually generates business within,
              rather than siphon business from, Texas.

              SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
              municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers and
              rate payers.

              I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
              advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which is
              precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
              workshop in central Texas.

              Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
              opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
              good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
              contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
              energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of them
              with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.

              Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
              occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
              exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
              discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.

              Andrew H. McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems
              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
              Austin, TX 78704

              Voice: (512) 448-0055
              Fax: (512) 448-0045
              www.meridiansolar.com

              > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
              > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
              > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
              > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
              > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
              > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
              > involved in what you would like to do.
              >
              > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
              > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
              > smaller
              > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
              > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
              > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
              >

              > Andrew H. McCalla
              > Meridian Energy Systems
              > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
              > Austin, TX 78704
              >
              > Voice: (512) 448-0055
              > Fax: (512) 448-0045
              > www.meridiansolar.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • SBT Designs
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                Andrew,

                Of course I completely disagree with you and your motivations. I took the
                liberty of sharing our communications with some of my associates in the
                industry and I can respond no better than Al Rich who's attitude about SEI
                is as follows:

                "Building energy systems with local labor is much better than importing
                natural gas."

                I regret I will not see you in Fredericksburg as this event lost its
                interest and productivity a long time ago for us.
                Regards,

                Steven Shepard
                SBT Designs
                25581 IH-10 West
                San Antonio, Texas 78257
                (210) 698-7109
                www.sbtdesigns.com

                > You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.
                >
                > To be clear:
                >
                > SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from
                > Texas
                > solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
                > the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the
                > occasional
                > "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
                > there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
                > business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
                > that the increased awareness they create actually generates business
                > within,
                > rather than siphon business from, Texas.
                >
                > SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
                > municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers
                > and
                > rate payers.
                >
                > I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
                > advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which
                > is
                > precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
                > workshop in central Texas.
                >
                > Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
                > opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
                > good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
                > contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
                > energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of
                > them
                > with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.
                >
                > Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
                > occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
                > exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
                > discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.
                >

                > Andrew H. McCalla
                > Meridian Energy Systems
                > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                > Austin, TX 78704
                >
                > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                > www.meridiansolar.com

              • noyes livingston
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                  andrew,

                  thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                  i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                  miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                  i had assumed that while talking about the woes of the
                  world and the attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                  the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to
                  promote RE by offering advice to neophites like
                  myself.

                  in doing some reading, i realize i need:
                  -1 or 2 decent marine (lead acid) 12 volt batteries
                  -inverter of at least 1500 watts
                  -1 or 2 solar panels (12 volt)
                  -one charge control and fusing disconnects

                  i want it to be portable and would need some sort of
                  flexible mount that i could just rest on the ground if
                  needed.

                  you mentioned the web. what would be two or three
                  really good sites to find sites and what are your
                  favorite brands in terms of cost and reliability?

                  if this works well, my next step would be to qualify
                  for an energy efficient mortgage backed by the govt.
                  and install a much larger system.

                  thanks once again.

                  noyes livingston
                  noyesliv@...
                • James Ferrill
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                    Noyes,

                    At 02:28 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
                    >andrew,
                    >
                    >thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                    >i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                    >miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                    HREG is a small group. The H in HREG stands for HOUSTON. You know, as in
                    the Houston that has a Cat 4 storm named Rita heading there. They probably
                    all evacuated.

                    >I had assumed that while talking about the woes of the world and the
                    >attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                    >the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to promote RE by offering
                    >advice to neophites like myself.

                    Posing such a question the day before the storm is to arrive isn't likely
                    to get any responses :-)
                  • Clifford Cheadle
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                      I am at the energy fair after fighting my way out of Houston.  Add to following to your list.

                      A Kill-A-Watt meter.  You need to know what wattage the appliances or devices you have use.  Plan on less efficiency than the manufacturer states as Houston does not get as much energy pey square yard as other ares.  I have no idea why, but that is what they said today about most of the Texas gulf coast.

                      Next, compact florescent lights will get you better light for your dollars.

                      When I get home, if it is still there, I will find the website where a fellow documented the process of putting together a power cart.  I think, judging by your other posts, is what you are looking for.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005

                        see if this is what you are thinking about.

                        Clifford Cheadle <cliffordcheadle@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • William & Cynthia Stange

                          > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                          > www.solarenergy.org.  They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                          > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                          > next one is, it looks like, March 27.  That program does not, nor does any
                          > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                          > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                          > involved in what you would like to do.
                          >
                          > Regarding your small system:  You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                          > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                          > smaller
                          > loads you mentioned.  However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                          > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                          > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                          >

                          > Andrew H. McCalla
                          > Meridian Energy Systems
                          > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                          > Austin, TX  78704
                          >
                          > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                          > Fax:    (512) 448-0045
                          > www.meridiansolar.com

                        • noyes livingston
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 25, 2005
                            william,

                            thank you very much and i should have all the
                            components of my basic backup system in place and set
                            up within a month. if you come across other good
                            sources of info. please let me know.

                            i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                            panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                            would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                            fan or radio if at all possible.

                            like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                            everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                            that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                            power outages will tend to motivate people into
                            looking at RE.
                          • John Miggins
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 26, 2005
                              Noyes and all, now that Houston is back to normal,
                              Here is what i recommend.
                              doing it yourself for a small system is not too hard with the right
                              components

                              Size the charge controller larger than you need for growth.
                              Make sure you have blocking diode, most often in better controllers so the
                              panels do not drain energy from battery at night.

                              Get safe and robust batteries, deep cycle sealed, 12 volts.

                              Inverters should be fused between batteries and inverter with appropriate
                              sized DC fuses. Class T fuses with right size wire for safety.

                              This is where a solar company can help you.

                              One way to go is to purchase this home power center that is prewired for
                              the battery and Solar panel connections and then buy batteries locally,
                              solar panels from whereever you can get them, Southwest PV has panels in
                              stock in Houston, and then inverters/fusing from reputable source.

                              You get what you pay for.

                              As mentioned in the off line email, you can get a nice system built by us
                              for around $1500 with 2500 watt inverter and 200 amp battery bank, one 75
                              watt solar panel and charge controllers. You can also get these components
                              locally or at a myriad of places on the internet but shipping batteries and
                              solar panels is expensive.

                              Proper wire size and fusing is very important.- Here is a link to our home
                              power center which is a great way to start. Simply add batteries, solar
                              panels and inverter and you are making power.

                              http://www.harvest-energy.com/homePowerCenter.html

                              thanks for your interest.

                              John Miggins
                              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                              www.harvest-energy.com
                              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                              Cell: 918-521-6223

                              > thank you very much and i should have all the
                              > components of my basic backup system in place and set
                              > up within a month. if you come across other good
                              > sources of info. please let me know.
                              >
                              > i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                              > panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                              > would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                              > fan or radio if at all possible.
                              >
                              > like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                              > everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                              > that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                              > power outages will tend to motivate people into
                              > looking at RE.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • blpasemann
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                Noyes,
                                I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                it so I can do it my self. I have also thought about doing a small
                                system to run some lights, fan, etc. also. What part of houston do
                                you live in? Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                help. There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                email me
                                bpasemann@...
                                832-594-5658

                                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                >
                                > 1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                                > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                >
                                > 2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                > outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                                > $1000-$1500.
                                >
                                > i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                                > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                > communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                                > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                > into action.
                              • Israel Palacios
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 1, 2005

                                  I have read that wind generated power is less expensive and in may be more productive than solar.  Before buying solar you might want to see which would be more cost effective.  I was interested in solar but, with demand outstripping supply the cost of solar is a premium.

                                    I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                  I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                  it so I can do it my self.  I have also thought about doing a small
                                  system to run some lights, fan, etc. also.  What part of houston do
                                  you live in?  Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                  help.  There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                  As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                  I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                  email me
                                  bpasemann@...
                                  832-594-5658

                                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                  > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                  >
                                  > 1.  is there a training program in the state of texas
                                  > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                  >
                                  > 2.  is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                  > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                  > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                  > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                  > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                  > outage for 3-5 days?  my budget would be appx.
                                  > $1000-$1500.
                                  >
                                  > i have procastinated on this for some time.  i would
                                  > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                  > communicate with me on this matter.  while i was not
                                  > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                  > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                  > into action.

                                • noyes livingston
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                    isreal,

                                    thank you for the reply. unfortunately, where we live
                                    in alief, the wind is not very steady and i beleive we
                                    would have problems with the deed restrictions. my
                                    father has a beach home in port aransas and i am
                                    trying to convince him that he needs a wind turbine to
                                    generate electricity.

                                    i will let you know if i am successful and once my
                                    brother brings me a military grade inverter that he
                                    has and i get the components together, i will take
                                    pictures of everything and keep everyone up to date as
                                    to our progress in creating change.

                                    noyes
                                  • Michael Ewert
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                      I came across these 3 packaged PV home systems:
                                      http://www.sundog.org/proddetail.asp?id=272
                                      http://www.harvest-energy.com/smallCabinSolar.html
                                      http://www.sbtdesigns.com/products/solar03.htm

                                      Has anyone seen a comparable home wind system? We could compare.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                        During my visit to Paris (june 7-1, 2004)  to attend 19th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, there were two companies which represented Wind Energy:
                                        1. Southwest Windpower: www.windenergy.com and info@...
                                        2. Grundfos SQFlex. www.grundfos.com
                                        This company sells separate PV and Wind systems, but also a Hybrid PV/Wind system as well.
                                        I hope this information will be help.

                                        Bashir A. Syedm
                                        Member: ASES, APS, IEEE, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences, & Senior Member: ISES
                                        Vice President, R&D
                                        EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                                        1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                                        Houston, TX 77058
                                        Bus. 281-333-9889/Fax: 281-461-1150
                                        Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell: 713-560-6668
                                        E-mail: bsyed@...

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006

                                          Is anyone familiar with Egan & Hinson, an A/C company in Houston who claims to have Geothermal heat pump installation experience?

                                          LaVerne A. William s, AIA, LEED® AP
                                          Environment Associates, Architects & Consultants
                                          laverne@...
                                          713.528.0000

                                        • deviant
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006
                                            Definitely. They installed the geothermal system on our house on
                                            Valerie in Bellaire. You can ask Kathleen more about them.