RE: [hreg] Indirect Cooling

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2005

      I have to say that this brings back a lot of old memories.  I was born in Korea and lived there until I was 9, and at that time (just a few years after the Korean War), Korea was very poor and mostly agrarian.  Traditional Korean homes had raised floors over a crawl space, and during the bitter cold winters, they would burn coal brickets under the floor (“undal floor” (sp?)).  There were no chairs.  People said crosslegged on the floor, or perhaps on a small throw cushion.  Sleeping was usually on the floor on a mat or pad.  The warm floor was the source of the home heating.  The seat of honor was the “hot seat”, literally—the place right above the fire.  Sadly, many, many people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in those structures.

      Hydronic heating would be a natural in Korea given the traditional construction.  It would cater to what people are used to.  It would be a vast improvement over the traditional design by eliminating the carbon monoxide poisoning risk (assuming the water was heated safely), and would also distribute the heat more evenly (eliminating the hot seat).  It makes sense that Koreans would look for a way to use such systems for cooling as well.

      Robert Johnston