Re: [hreg] Houston solar companies

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 21, 2005
      Message
      You can try Southwest PV up in Tomball.
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 7:57 PM
      Subject: [hreg] Houston solar companies

      Someone called me asking if there is any reliable companies that can provide solar and/or pv's panels for residential or commercial projects in the Houston region. Anyone out there fit this description?

      Thanks,

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      co-Chair
      AIA COTE - Houston
      American Institute of Architects
      Committee on the Environment
      http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      Heights Venture Architects, LLP
      1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
      Houston, TX 77008
      713.869.1103 x169
      amanda.tullos@...

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
        Message
        We were in Houston yesterday bidding on a large project at a public assistance housing complex near the North Freeway.  If we get the bid this project should have our installation team in Houston for three weeks.  We don't ordinarily solicite business inside municipal Houston but this project is much too large to not respond to.

        Steven Shepard
        SBT Designs
        25581 IH-10 West
        San Antonio, Texas 78257
        (210) 698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com

        Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

        Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

        Robert Johnston

      • Charles L. Seaman
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005

          www.sbtdesigns.com <http://www.sbtdesigns.com>

          amanda.tullos@... <mailto:amanda.tullos@...>

          <http://www.gulfcoastgreen.org/>

          Has anyone on our list used a “heat  pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump  cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like  the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery  rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of  money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors,  manufacturers, I’d like to know.

          Also, what is the latest thinking on  cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again,  manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in  our group.

          Robert Johnston

          Heat pump works great and efficient if like the one I had in Indian Harbor Beach, Fl. During 1966-1968.
        • John Miggins
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
            Message
            Amanda, we service Houston  and have a regular sales and service staff there since 2001.  We sell for the largest solar comnpanies in the US including Kyocera, Sunwize and Conergy, we would be happy to help your clients on Solar Electric, Thermal and other energy producing and saving projects.

            thanks for the info feel free to pass this on to your customers.

            John Miggins
            Harvest Solar & Wind Power
            "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
            www.harvest-energy.com
            Phone/Fax 877-743-2299

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
              Message
              Robert, I am familiar with heat pumps for solar pool heating and know that they are much more cost effective than gas heaters but less than solar water heaters.

              We sell and install solar water heaters and other solar devices and would be happy to help you.

              I believe that on July 31st I will be giving a presentation to the HREG on solar water heating if you would like to attend.

              We sell for AET Solar and Sunearth, both great companies with great products.

              let me know how we can help you
              regards

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 877-743-2299
              Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

              Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

              Robert Johnston

            • Lunce
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                If you have a home/building/project you would like to showcase as part
                of the Solar tour, please email me and let me know.

                Thanks,
                Lunce
              • Mike Ewert
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Message
                  As the lack of responses to your question indicates, heat pump water heaters are pretty rare. I have only read of them. If the electricity to natural gas price ratio went down, then they could become more popular.  Remember that a gas water heater converts gas to heat at about 80% efficiency and a power plant converts gas to electricity at about 40% efficiency (both approx. #'s) so the heat pump water heater (which converts electricity to heat) would have to have a coefficient of performance greater than 2 to pay off from an efficiency standpoint.  This is more difficult the hotter you want your water. Hence John Miggins comment that heat pump water heaters are good for swimming pools (lower temperature).  And, though cost can be debated, he also has a very good point about solar water heaters.  These "convert" (harvest) heat to heat with a collection efficiency of 60-80%.

                  So, if it's heat energy you want, think SOLAR - it's already hot!  Building interest in solar thermal applications such as solar water heaters will be the focus of the HREG meeting on July 31st.  I hope everyone will come and learn and get fired up!
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 21, 2005
                    to anyone interested in giving some advice:

                    1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                    where one can study to become a solar contractor?

                    2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                    contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                    am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                    power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                    to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                    outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                    $1000-$1500.

                    i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                    appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                    communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                    smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                    don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                    into action.
                  • Andrew McCalla
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                      Noyes,

                      One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                      www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                      here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                      next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                      program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                      excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                      involved in what you would like to do.

                      Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                      sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the smaller
                      loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                      fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                      propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.

                      Andrew H. McCalla
                      Meridian Energy Systems
                      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                      Austin, TX 78704

                      Voice: (512) 448-0055
                      Fax: (512) 448-0045
                      www.meridiansolar.com

                      to anyone interested in giving some advice:

                      1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                      where one can study to become a solar contractor?

                      2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                      contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                      am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                      power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                      to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                      outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                      $1000-$1500.

                      i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                      appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                      communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                      smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                      don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                      into action.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • SBT Designs
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                        I suppose. SEI has also taken a lot of solar business away from and out of
                        the state from Texas solar vendors.

                        There is a tendency for Texas government agencies, municipalities,
                        non-profits and utilities to take funds from Texas taxpayers and rate payers
                        and send that money out of state to other suppliers and vendors due to some
                        mistaken perception that resources and skills may not be present here in the
                        state. It is disturbing when Texas vendors also concede business
                        opportunities to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

                        If and when we conduct business in our communities and with local businesses
                        our local funds, resources, sales taxes and pay checks stay in our community
                        and help to build our Texas communities by paying wages, feeding our
                        families, paying property taxes and sales taxes. Our funds stay in our
                        community. In that regard, it is certainly a mistake if not immoral for our
                        own state/county government, cities, businesses and local non-profits to
                        encourage our citizens to conduct business out of the state. I would think
                        that fact would be more than obvious.

                        I have conducted numerous presentations on Net-metered Solar Power Systems
                        for the San Antonio chapter of the AIA, for the Houston Greenbuilding
                        Council chapter and for the South Texas chapter of the Energy Engineering
                        Association. If the Renewable Energy Fair occurs this weekend there will be
                        similar presentations available in Fredericksburg. It is incumbent upon
                        Texas solar vendors to step up to the plate and provide this type of
                        educational and informational service if there is a valid demand and
                        requirement here in the state. It is vitally important we not concede this
                        business to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

                        Steven Shepard
                        SBT Designs
                        25581 IH-10 West
                        San Antonio, Texas 78257
                        (210) 698-7109
                        www.sbtdesigns.com

                        > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                        > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                        > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                        > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                        > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                        > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                        > involved in what you would like to do.
                        >
                        > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                        > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                        > smaller
                        > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                        > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                        > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                        >

                        > Andrew H. McCalla
                        > Meridian Energy Systems
                        > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                        > Austin, TX 78704
                        >
                        > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                        > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                        > www.meridiansolar.com

                      • Andrew McCalla
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                          Steve,

                          You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.

                          To be clear:

                          SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from Texas
                          solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
                          the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the occasional
                          "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
                          there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
                          business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
                          that the increased awareness they create actually generates business within,
                          rather than siphon business from, Texas.

                          SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
                          municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers and
                          rate payers.

                          I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
                          advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which is
                          precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
                          workshop in central Texas.

                          Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
                          opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
                          good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
                          contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
                          energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of them
                          with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.

                          Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
                          occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
                          exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
                          discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.

                          Andrew H. McCalla
                          Meridian Energy Systems
                          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                          Austin, TX 78704

                          Voice: (512) 448-0055
                          Fax: (512) 448-0045
                          www.meridiansolar.com

                          > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                          > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                          > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                          > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                          > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                          > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                          > involved in what you would like to do.
                          >
                          > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                          > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                          > smaller
                          > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                          > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                          > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                          >

                          > Andrew H. McCalla
                          > Meridian Energy Systems
                          > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                          > Austin, TX 78704
                          >
                          > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                          > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                          > www.meridiansolar.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • SBT Designs
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                            Andrew,

                            Of course I completely disagree with you and your motivations. I took the
                            liberty of sharing our communications with some of my associates in the
                            industry and I can respond no better than Al Rich who's attitude about SEI
                            is as follows:

                            "Building energy systems with local labor is much better than importing
                            natural gas."

                            I regret I will not see you in Fredericksburg as this event lost its
                            interest and productivity a long time ago for us.
                            Regards,

                            Steven Shepard
                            SBT Designs
                            25581 IH-10 West
                            San Antonio, Texas 78257
                            (210) 698-7109
                            www.sbtdesigns.com

                            > You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.
                            >
                            > To be clear:
                            >
                            > SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from
                            > Texas
                            > solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
                            > the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the
                            > occasional
                            > "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
                            > there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
                            > business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
                            > that the increased awareness they create actually generates business
                            > within,
                            > rather than siphon business from, Texas.
                            >
                            > SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
                            > municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers
                            > and
                            > rate payers.
                            >
                            > I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
                            > advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which
                            > is
                            > precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
                            > workshop in central Texas.
                            >
                            > Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
                            > opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
                            > good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
                            > contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
                            > energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of
                            > them
                            > with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.
                            >
                            > Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
                            > occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
                            > exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
                            > discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.
                            >

                            > Andrew H. McCalla
                            > Meridian Energy Systems
                            > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                            > Austin, TX 78704
                            >
                            > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                            > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                            > www.meridiansolar.com

                          • noyes livingston
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                              andrew,

                              thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                              i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                              miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                              i had assumed that while talking about the woes of the
                              world and the attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                              the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to
                              promote RE by offering advice to neophites like
                              myself.

                              in doing some reading, i realize i need:
                              -1 or 2 decent marine (lead acid) 12 volt batteries
                              -inverter of at least 1500 watts
                              -1 or 2 solar panels (12 volt)
                              -one charge control and fusing disconnects

                              i want it to be portable and would need some sort of
                              flexible mount that i could just rest on the ground if
                              needed.

                              you mentioned the web. what would be two or three
                              really good sites to find sites and what are your
                              favorite brands in terms of cost and reliability?

                              if this works well, my next step would be to qualify
                              for an energy efficient mortgage backed by the govt.
                              and install a much larger system.

                              thanks once again.

                              noyes livingston
                              noyesliv@...
                            • James Ferrill
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                                Noyes,

                                At 02:28 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
                                >andrew,
                                >
                                >thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                                >i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                                >miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                                HREG is a small group. The H in HREG stands for HOUSTON. You know, as in
                                the Houston that has a Cat 4 storm named Rita heading there. They probably
                                all evacuated.

                                >I had assumed that while talking about the woes of the world and the
                                >attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                                >the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to promote RE by offering
                                >advice to neophites like myself.

                                Posing such a question the day before the storm is to arrive isn't likely
                                to get any responses :-)
                              • Clifford Cheadle
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                                  I am at the energy fair after fighting my way out of Houston.  Add to following to your list.

                                  A Kill-A-Watt meter.  You need to know what wattage the appliances or devices you have use.  Plan on less efficiency than the manufacturer states as Houston does not get as much energy pey square yard as other ares.  I have no idea why, but that is what they said today about most of the Texas gulf coast.

                                  Next, compact florescent lights will get you better light for your dollars.

                                  When I get home, if it is still there, I will find the website where a fellow documented the process of putting together a power cart.  I think, judging by your other posts, is what you are looking for.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005

                                    see if this is what you are thinking about.

                                    Clifford Cheadle <cliffordcheadle@...> wrote:
[...]

                                  • William & Cynthia Stange

                                      > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                                      > www.solarenergy.org.  They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                                      > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                                      > next one is, it looks like, March 27.  That program does not, nor does any
                                      > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                                      > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                                      > involved in what you would like to do.
                                      >
                                      > Regarding your small system:  You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                                      > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                                      > smaller
                                      > loads you mentioned.  However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                                      > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                                      > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                                      >

                                      > Andrew H. McCalla
                                      > Meridian Energy Systems
                                      > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                      > Austin, TX  78704
                                      >
                                      > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                      > Fax:    (512) 448-0045
                                      > www.meridiansolar.com

                                    • noyes livingston
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 25, 2005
                                        william,

                                        thank you very much and i should have all the
                                        components of my basic backup system in place and set
                                        up within a month. if you come across other good
                                        sources of info. please let me know.

                                        i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                                        panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                                        would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                                        fan or radio if at all possible.

                                        like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                                        everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                                        that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                                        power outages will tend to motivate people into
                                        looking at RE.
                                      • John Miggins
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 26, 2005
                                          Noyes and all, now that Houston is back to normal,
                                          Here is what i recommend.
                                          doing it yourself for a small system is not too hard with the right
                                          components

                                          Size the charge controller larger than you need for growth.
                                          Make sure you have blocking diode, most often in better controllers so the
                                          panels do not drain energy from battery at night.

                                          Get safe and robust batteries, deep cycle sealed, 12 volts.

                                          Inverters should be fused between batteries and inverter with appropriate
                                          sized DC fuses. Class T fuses with right size wire for safety.

                                          This is where a solar company can help you.

                                          One way to go is to purchase this home power center that is prewired for
                                          the battery and Solar panel connections and then buy batteries locally,
                                          solar panels from whereever you can get them, Southwest PV has panels in
                                          stock in Houston, and then inverters/fusing from reputable source.

                                          You get what you pay for.

                                          As mentioned in the off line email, you can get a nice system built by us
                                          for around $1500 with 2500 watt inverter and 200 amp battery bank, one 75
                                          watt solar panel and charge controllers. You can also get these components
                                          locally or at a myriad of places on the internet but shipping batteries and
                                          solar panels is expensive.

                                          Proper wire size and fusing is very important.- Here is a link to our home
                                          power center which is a great way to start. Simply add batteries, solar
                                          panels and inverter and you are making power.

                                          http://www.harvest-energy.com/homePowerCenter.html

                                          thanks for your interest.

                                          John Miggins
                                          Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                                          "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                                          www.harvest-energy.com
                                          Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                                          Cell: 918-521-6223

                                          > thank you very much and i should have all the
                                          > components of my basic backup system in place and set
                                          > up within a month. if you come across other good
                                          > sources of info. please let me know.
                                          >
                                          > i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                                          > panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                                          > would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                                          > fan or radio if at all possible.
                                          >
                                          > like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                                          > everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                                          > that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                                          > power outages will tend to motivate people into
                                          > looking at RE.
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • blpasemann
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                            Noyes,
                                            I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                            I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                            it so I can do it my self. I have also thought about doing a small
                                            system to run some lights, fan, etc. also. What part of houston do
                                            you live in? Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                            help. There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                            As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                            I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                            email me
                                            bpasemann@...
                                            832-594-5658

                                            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                            > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                            >
                                            > 1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                                            > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                            >
                                            > 2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                            > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                            > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                            > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                            > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                            > outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                                            > $1000-$1500.
                                            >
                                            > i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                                            > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                            > communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                                            > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                            > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                            > into action.
                                          • Israel Palacios
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 1, 2005

                                              I have read that wind generated power is less expensive and in may be more productive than solar.  Before buying solar you might want to see which would be more cost effective.  I was interested in solar but, with demand outstripping supply the cost of solar is a premium.

                                                I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                              I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                              it so I can do it my self.  I have also thought about doing a small
                                              system to run some lights, fan, etc. also.  What part of houston do
                                              you live in?  Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                              help.  There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                              As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                              I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                              email me
                                              bpasemann@...
                                              832-594-5658

                                              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                              > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                              >
                                              > 1.  is there a training program in the state of texas
                                              > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                              >
                                              > 2.  is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                              > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                              > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                              > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                              > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                              > outage for 3-5 days?  my budget would be appx.
                                              > $1000-$1500.
                                              >
                                              > i have procastinated on this for some time.  i would
                                              > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                              > communicate with me on this matter.  while i was not
                                              > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                              > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                              > into action.

                                            • noyes livingston
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                isreal,

                                                thank you for the reply. unfortunately, where we live
                                                in alief, the wind is not very steady and i beleive we
                                                would have problems with the deed restrictions. my
                                                father has a beach home in port aransas and i am
                                                trying to convince him that he needs a wind turbine to
                                                generate electricity.

                                                i will let you know if i am successful and once my
                                                brother brings me a military grade inverter that he
                                                has and i get the components together, i will take
                                                pictures of everything and keep everyone up to date as
                                                to our progress in creating change.

                                                noyes
                                              • Michael Ewert
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                  I came across these 3 packaged PV home systems:
                                                  http://www.sundog.org/proddetail.asp?id=272
                                                  http://www.harvest-energy.com/smallCabinSolar.html
                                                  http://www.sbtdesigns.com/products/solar03.htm

                                                  Has anyone seen a comparable home wind system? We could compare.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                    During my visit to Paris (june 7-1, 2004)  to attend 19th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, there were two companies which represented Wind Energy:
                                                    1. Southwest Windpower: www.windenergy.com and info@...
                                                    2. Grundfos SQFlex. www.grundfos.com
                                                    This company sells separate PV and Wind systems, but also a Hybrid PV/Wind system as well.
                                                    I hope this information will be help.

                                                    Bashir A. Syedm
                                                    Member: ASES, APS, IEEE, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences, & Senior Member: ISES
                                                    Vice President, R&D
                                                    EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                                                    1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                                                    Houston, TX 77058
                                                    Bus. 281-333-9889/Fax: 281-461-1150
                                                    Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell: 713-560-6668
                                                    E-mail: bsyed@...

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006

                                                      Is anyone familiar with Egan & Hinson, an A/C company in Houston who claims to have Geothermal heat pump installation experience?

                                                      LaVerne A. William s, AIA, LEED® AP
                                                      Environment Associates, Architects & Consultants
                                                      laverne@...
                                                      713.528.0000

                                                    • deviant
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006
                                                        Definitely. They installed the geothermal system on our house on
                                                        Valerie in Bellaire. You can ask Kathleen more about them.