HREG Solar Tour 2005

  • Lunce
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2005
      Dear All:

      Mark your calendars - we are starting the effort for the 2nd Annual HREG
      Houston Solar Tour (he, Houston and Solar all in one sentence!) -
      October 30th!

      Is there anyone amongst us that owns a sign company and will produces
      great yard signs? It would be great if we can get consistant Bold yard
      signs which can be used from year to year, that can be placed infront of
      the homes on tour day. I'd like to get the sign for each location, plus
      a couple of signs with arrows which we can place on the main street
      corners giving some direction. Please email me at
      Lunce@... if you do.

      Thanks,
      Lunce
    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005

        Before I start a web search, I thought I’d ask HREG for any experiences with indirect (non forced air) cooling water tube systems.

        This is similar to the heated water or glycol tube floor and ceiling systems used in colder climates, just in reverse.  Total capacities, cooling, and comfort performance is expected to be more modest than forced air conditioning.  The humidity would need to be removed by a drier or dehumidifier of some type.  I have no idea about energy efficiencies

        These systems are used more in Europe where summers are shorter, humidity is lower, or is just where they want to say they don’t ‘need’ air conditioning (like those wasteful Americans)

        Anything local?  Contacts, sources, links, equipment suppliers, Installers etc.?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
            Gary,
                Saw this on Oikos.com:

            Hydronic Cooling Can Cut Costs by Two-thirds
            In South Korea, virtually all homes (single-family, multi-family and high-rise) have hydronic radiant heat floor heating, according to Radiant Panel Report. Cooling is becoming important, prompting university professor Dr. Seung-Bok Leigh to conduct sophisticated research on cooling with hydronic floors. Dr. Leigh's recent American Society for Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) report "A Study for Evaluating Performance of Radiant Floor Cooling Integrated with Controlled Ventilation details his research. His research shows that "radiant floor cooling with dehumidification can provide cooling with only one-third of the energy required by a conventional air conditioner." Radiant cooling also showed much faster response time.

            Dr. Leigh's research used a combination of laboratory test cubicles and computer simulations. The laboratory apparatus included 8 ft. x 8 ft. x 8 ft. cubicles designed specifically for analyzing radiant floor cooling and comparing it to conventional air conditioning. A fan coil provided dehumidification and supplemental cooling with fresh air ventilation set to provide one air change per hour.

            Results of the laboratory tests were applied to a computer simulation of identical 1,400 s.f. houses. Conventional cooling used 1,400 kWh of energy, while the radiant cooling system consumed only 501 kWh.

            With results like these, radiant cooling with dehumidifcation offers a viable alternative to conventional air-conditioning. Radiant Panel Report is published by the

[...]

            With results like these, radiant cooling with dehumidifcation offers a viable alternative to conventional air-conditioning. Radiant Panel Report is published by the Radiant Panel Association.

            Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
            co-Chair
            AIA COTE - Houston
            American Institute of Architects
            Committee on the Environment
            http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

            Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
            Heights Venture Architects, LLP
            1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
            Houston, TX 77008
            713.869.1103 x169
            amanda.tullos@...

              Mark your calendars - we are starting the effort for the 2nd Annual HREG
              Houston Solar Tour (he, Houston and Solar all in one sentence!) -
              October 30th!

              Is there anyone amongst us that owns a sign company and will produces
              great yard signs?  It would be great if we can get consistant Bold yard
              signs which can be used from year to year, that can be placed infront of
              the homes on tour day.  I'd like to get the sign for each location, plus
              a couple of signs with arrows which we can place on the main street
              corners giving some direction.  Please email me at
              Lunce@... if you do.

              Thanks,
              Lunce

              Nan Hildreth, Houston
              713-842-6643   NanHildreth@...
              713-443-3104 cell
              3939 Luca St.
              Houston, Tx 77021

            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23, 2005

                I have to say that this brings back a lot of old memories.  I was born in Korea and lived there until I was 9, and at that time (just a few years after the Korean War), Korea was very poor and mostly agrarian.  Traditional Korean homes had raised floors over a crawl space, and during the bitter cold winters, they would burn coal brickets under the floor (“undal floor” (sp?)).  There were no chairs.  People said crosslegged on the floor, or perhaps on a small throw cushion.  Sleeping was usually on the floor on a mat or pad.  The warm floor was the source of the home heating.  The seat of honor was the “hot seat”, literally—the place right above the fire.  Sadly, many, many people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in those structures.

                Hydronic heating would be a natural in Korea given the traditional construction.  It would cater to what people are used to.  It would be a vast improvement over the traditional design by eliminating the carbon monoxide poisoning risk (assuming the water was heated safely), and would also distribute the heat more evenly (eliminating the hot seat).  It makes sense that Koreans would look for a way to use such systems for cooling as well.

                Robert Johnston