Geothermal

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 19, 2005
      Message
      HREG received a survey of interest about geothermal energy.  An SMU group is setting up a network for discussion of geothermal energy in Texas.  If anyone would like to participate on behalf of HREG, please let me know and I will forward the information.  I will not have time myself.

      Mike
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 20, 2005
        Message

        Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

        Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

        Robert Johnston

      • Amanda Tullos
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 20, 2005
          Message
          Someone called me asking if there is any reliable companies that can provide solar and/or pv's panels for residential or commercial projects in the Houston region. Anyone out there fit this description?

          Thanks,

          Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
          co-Chair
          AIA COTE - Houston
          American Institute of Architects
          Committee on the Environment
          http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

          Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
          Heights Venture Architects, LLP
          1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
          Houston, TX 77008
          713.869.1103 x169
          amanda.tullos@...

          Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

          Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

          Robert Johnston

        • SBT Designs
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 20, 2005
            Message
            Anything outside of Loop 6 would be of interest to us.

            Steven Shepard
            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257
            (210) 698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com

            Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

            Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

            Robert Johnston

          • David Power
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 21, 2005
              Message
              You can try Southwest PV up in Tomball.

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                Message
                We were in Houston yesterday bidding on a large project at a public assistance housing complex near the North Freeway.  If we get the bid this project should have our installation team in Houston for three weeks.  We don't ordinarily solicite business inside municipal Houston but this project is much too large to not respond to.

                Steven Shepard
                SBT Designs
                25581 IH-10 West
                San Antonio, Texas 78257
                (210) 698-7109
                www.sbtdesigns.com

                Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

                Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

                Robert Johnston

              • Charles L. Seaman
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                  Re: [hreg] Houston solar companies

                  www.sbtdesigns.com <http://www.sbtdesigns.com>

                  amanda.tullos@... <mailto:amanda.tullos@...>

                  <http://www.gulfcoastgreen.org/>

                  Has anyone on our list used a “heat  pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump  cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like  the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery  rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of  money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors,  manufacturers, I’d like to know.

                  Also, what is the latest thinking on  cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again,  manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in  our group.

                  Robert Johnston

                  Heat pump works great and efficient if like the one I had in Indian Harbor Beach, Fl. During 1966-1968.
                • John Miggins
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                    Message
                    Amanda, we service Houston  and have a regular sales and service staff there since 2001.  We sell for the largest solar comnpanies in the US including Kyocera, Sunwize and Conergy, we would be happy to help your clients on Solar Electric, Thermal and other energy producing and saving projects.

                    thanks for the info feel free to pass this on to your customers.

                    John Miggins
                    Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                    "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                    www.harvest-energy.com
                    Phone/Fax 877-743-2299

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                      Message
                      Robert, I am familiar with heat pumps for solar pool heating and know that they are much more cost effective than gas heaters but less than solar water heaters.

                      We sell and install solar water heaters and other solar devices and would be happy to help you.

                      I believe that on July 31st I will be giving a presentation to the HREG on solar water heating if you would like to attend.

                      We sell for AET Solar and Sunearth, both great companies with great products.

                      let me know how we can help you
                      regards

                      John Miggins
                      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                      www.harvest-energy.com
                      Phone/Fax 877-743-2299
                      Has anyone on our list used a “heat pump water heater”?  Is this a good option for our climate (e.g., pump cool air into the house as you heat your water)?  It looks to me like the major downside is the initial cost and the slow recovery rate.  But properly sized, it should save a lot of money, seems to me.  If anyone has any experience and/or contractors, manufacturers, I’d like to know.

                      Also, what is the latest thinking on cost/payback on solar water heating in the Houston area, and again, manufacturers/contractors.  I’d be pleased to hear from any vendors in our group.

                      Robert Johnston

                    • Lunce
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 22, 2005
                        If you have a home/building/project you would like to showcase as part
                        of the Solar tour, please email me and let me know.

                        Thanks,
                        Lunce
                      • Mike Ewert
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 4 8:09 AM
                          Message
                          As the lack of responses to your question indicates, heat pump water heaters are pretty rare. I have only read of them. If the electricity to natural gas price ratio went down, then they could become more popular.  Remember that a gas water heater converts gas to heat at about 80% efficiency and a power plant converts gas to electricity at about 40% efficiency (both approx. #'s) so the heat pump water heater (which converts electricity to heat) would have to have a coefficient of performance greater than 2 to pay off from an efficiency standpoint.  This is more difficult the hotter you want your water. Hence John Miggins comment that heat pump water heaters are good for swimming pools (lower temperature).  And, though cost can be debated, he also has a very good point about solar water heaters.  These "convert" (harvest) heat to heat with a collection efficiency of 60-80%.

                          So, if it's heat energy you want, think SOLAR - it's already hot!  Building interest in solar thermal applications such as solar water heaters will be the focus of the HREG meeting on July 31st.  I hope everyone will come and learn and get fired up!
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 21, 2005
                            to anyone interested in giving some advice:

                            1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                            where one can study to become a solar contractor?

                            2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                            contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                            am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                            power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                            to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                            outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                            $1000-$1500.

                            i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                            appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                            communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                            smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                            don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                            into action.
                          • Andrew McCalla
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                              Noyes,

                              One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                              www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                              here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                              next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                              program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                              excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                              involved in what you would like to do.

                              Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                              sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the smaller
                              loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                              fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                              propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.

                              Andrew H. McCalla
                              Meridian Energy Systems
                              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                              Austin, TX 78704

                              Voice: (512) 448-0055
                              Fax: (512) 448-0045
                              www.meridiansolar.com

                              to anyone interested in giving some advice:

                              1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                              where one can study to become a solar contractor?

                              2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                              contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                              am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                              power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                              to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                              outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                              $1000-$1500.

                              i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                              appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                              communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                              smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                              don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                              into action.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • SBT Designs
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                                I suppose. SEI has also taken a lot of solar business away from and out of
                                the state from Texas solar vendors.

                                There is a tendency for Texas government agencies, municipalities,
                                non-profits and utilities to take funds from Texas taxpayers and rate payers
                                and send that money out of state to other suppliers and vendors due to some
                                mistaken perception that resources and skills may not be present here in the
                                state. It is disturbing when Texas vendors also concede business
                                opportunities to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

                                If and when we conduct business in our communities and with local businesses
                                our local funds, resources, sales taxes and pay checks stay in our community
                                and help to build our Texas communities by paying wages, feeding our
                                families, paying property taxes and sales taxes. Our funds stay in our
                                community. In that regard, it is certainly a mistake if not immoral for our
                                own state/county government, cities, businesses and local non-profits to
                                encourage our citizens to conduct business out of the state. I would think
                                that fact would be more than obvious.

                                I have conducted numerous presentations on Net-metered Solar Power Systems
                                for the San Antonio chapter of the AIA, for the Houston Greenbuilding
                                Council chapter and for the South Texas chapter of the Energy Engineering
                                Association. If the Renewable Energy Fair occurs this weekend there will be
                                similar presentations available in Fredericksburg. It is incumbent upon
                                Texas solar vendors to step up to the plate and provide this type of
                                educational and informational service if there is a valid demand and
                                requirement here in the state. It is vitally important we not concede this
                                business to out of state vendors and pretend non-profits.

                                Steven Shepard
                                SBT Designs
                                25581 IH-10 West
                                San Antonio, Texas 78257
                                (210) 698-7109
                                www.sbtdesigns.com

                                > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                                > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                                > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                                > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                                > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                                > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                                > involved in what you would like to do.
                                >
                                > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                                > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                                > smaller
                                > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                                > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                                > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                                >

                                > Andrew H. McCalla
                                > Meridian Energy Systems
                                > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                > Austin, TX 78704
                                >
                                > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                                > www.meridiansolar.com

                              • Andrew McCalla
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                                  Steve,

                                  You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.

                                  To be clear:

                                  SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from Texas
                                  solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
                                  the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the occasional
                                  "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
                                  there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
                                  business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
                                  that the increased awareness they create actually generates business within,
                                  rather than siphon business from, Texas.

                                  SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
                                  municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers and
                                  rate payers.

                                  I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
                                  advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which is
                                  precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
                                  workshop in central Texas.

                                  Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
                                  opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
                                  good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
                                  contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
                                  energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of them
                                  with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.

                                  Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
                                  occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
                                  exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
                                  discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.

                                  Andrew H. McCalla
                                  Meridian Energy Systems
                                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                  Austin, TX 78704

                                  Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                  Fax: (512) 448-0045
                                  www.meridiansolar.com

                                  > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                                  > www.solarenergy.org. They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                                  > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                                  > next one is, it looks like, March 27. That program does not, nor does any
                                  > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                                  > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                                  > involved in what you would like to do.
                                  >
                                  > Regarding your small system: You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                                  > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                                  > smaller
                                  > loads you mentioned. However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                                  > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                                  > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                                  >

                                  > Andrew H. McCalla
                                  > Meridian Energy Systems
                                  > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                  > Austin, TX 78704
                                  >
                                  > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                  > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                                  > www.meridiansolar.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • SBT Designs
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 22, 2005
                                    Andrew,

                                    Of course I completely disagree with you and your motivations. I took the
                                    liberty of sharing our communications with some of my associates in the
                                    industry and I can respond no better than Al Rich who's attitude about SEI
                                    is as follows:

                                    "Building energy systems with local labor is much better than importing
                                    natural gas."

                                    I regret I will not see you in Fredericksburg as this event lost its
                                    interest and productivity a long time ago for us.
                                    Regards,

                                    Steven Shepard
                                    SBT Designs
                                    25581 IH-10 West
                                    San Antonio, Texas 78257
                                    (210) 698-7109
                                    www.sbtdesigns.com

                                    > You do not seem to be familiar with SEI.
                                    >
                                    > To be clear:
                                    >
                                    > SEI does not siphon solar business away from and out of the state from
                                    > Texas
                                    > solar vendors. Admittedly, there is an inherent educational component to
                                    > the day-to-day requirements of our trade. And yes, there are the
                                    > occasional
                                    > "workshops" and public speaking engagements most of us participate in; but
                                    > there is not one Texas solar vendor with whom their strictly educational
                                    > business model competes. In fact, by virtue of that model, it would seem
                                    > that the increased awareness they create actually generates business
                                    > within,
                                    > rather than siphon business from, Texas.
                                    >
                                    > SEI's Austin workshops are not funded by Texas government agencies,
                                    > municipalities, non-profits or utilities with funds from Texas taxpayers
                                    > and
                                    > rate payers.
                                    >
                                    > I agree with you that it is incumbent on Texas solar vendors, as well as
                                    > advocates, to step up to the plate to provide educational service, which
                                    > is
                                    > precisely why we have, over the past 9 years, sponsored their week-long
                                    > workshop in central Texas.
                                    >
                                    > Meridian does not view our support of SEI as a "concession of business
                                    > opportunity". Rather, we see it as a pro-bono (Latin: Literally, "for
                                    > good", colloquially, "without compensation", read: at some cost)
                                    > contribution to one of the most significant proponents of renewable
                                    > energy/sustainability education in the country. To imbue our support of
                                    > them
                                    > with qualities of immorality is, at the very least, spooky.
                                    >
                                    > Finally, the Roundup, as it is called, (http://www.theroundup.org/) is
                                    > occurring this weekend in Fredericksburg. I hope that you will be
                                    > exhibiting, presenting or, at the very least, attending so that we can
                                    > discuss SEI, their workshops here and abroad, and what they are all about.
                                    >

                                    > Andrew H. McCalla
                                    > Meridian Energy Systems
                                    > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                    > Austin, TX 78704
                                    >
                                    > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                    > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                                    > www.meridiansolar.com

                                  • noyes livingston
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                                      andrew,

                                      thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                                      i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                                      miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                                      i had assumed that while talking about the woes of the
                                      world and the attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                                      the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to
                                      promote RE by offering advice to neophites like
                                      myself.

                                      in doing some reading, i realize i need:
                                      -1 or 2 decent marine (lead acid) 12 volt batteries
                                      -inverter of at least 1500 watts
                                      -1 or 2 solar panels (12 volt)
                                      -one charge control and fusing disconnects

                                      i want it to be portable and would need some sort of
                                      flexible mount that i could just rest on the ground if
                                      needed.

                                      you mentioned the web. what would be two or three
                                      really good sites to find sites and what are your
                                      favorite brands in terms of cost and reliability?

                                      if this works well, my next step would be to qualify
                                      for an energy efficient mortgage backed by the govt.
                                      and install a much larger system.

                                      thanks once again.

                                      noyes livingston
                                      noyesliv@...
                                    • James Ferrill
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                                        Noyes,

                                        At 02:28 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
                                        >andrew,
                                        >
                                        >thank you very much for the reply. quite honestly,
                                        >i am disappointed in that besides yourself and john
                                        >miggins, i did not receive any other feedback.

                                        HREG is a small group. The H in HREG stands for HOUSTON. You know, as in
                                        the Houston that has a Cat 4 storm named Rita heading there. They probably
                                        all evacuated.

                                        >I had assumed that while talking about the woes of the world and the
                                        >attractiveness of RE is wonderful,
                                        >the true purpose of such a group as hreq was to promote RE by offering
                                        >advice to neophites like myself.

                                        Posing such a question the day before the storm is to arrive isn't likely
                                        to get any responses :-)
                                      • Clifford Cheadle
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005
                                          I am at the energy fair after fighting my way out of Houston.  Add to following to your list.

                                          A Kill-A-Watt meter.  You need to know what wattage the appliances or devices you have use.  Plan on less efficiency than the manufacturer states as Houston does not get as much energy pey square yard as other ares.  I have no idea why, but that is what they said today about most of the Texas gulf coast.

                                          Next, compact florescent lights will get you better light for your dollars.

                                          When I get home, if it is still there, I will find the website where a fellow documented the process of putting together a power cart.  I think, judging by your other posts, is what you are looking for.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 23, 2005

                                            see if this is what you are thinking about.

                                            Clifford Cheadle <cliffordcheadle@...> wrote:
[...]

                                          • William & Cynthia Stange

                                              > One of the best training programs anywhere is Solar Energy International,
                                              > www.solarenergy.org.  They are not in Texas but they have done a workshop
                                              > here every year for the past eight, every year is better and better. The
                                              > next one is, it looks like, March 27.  That program does not, nor does any
                                              > program for that matter, make you a solar contractor, but it gives you an
                                              > excellent foundation onto which you can add by working with a company
                                              > involved in what you would like to do.
                                              >
                                              > Regarding your small system:  You could find a ton of stuff on the web for
                                              > sure, and there are some great pre-packaged systems for some of the
                                              > smaller
                                              > loads you mentioned.  However, if you want to boil water when all hits the
                                              > fan for under $1500, you are probably going to be looking to a camp or
                                              > propane stove, or a small internal combustion generator.
                                              >

                                              > Andrew H. McCalla
                                              > Meridian Energy Systems
                                              > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                                              > Austin, TX  78704
                                              >
                                              > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                                              > Fax:    (512) 448-0045
                                              > www.meridiansolar.com

                                            • noyes livingston
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 25, 2005
                                                william,

                                                thank you very much and i should have all the
                                                components of my basic backup system in place and set
                                                up within a month. if you come across other good
                                                sources of info. please let me know.

                                                i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                                                panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                                                would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                                                fan or radio if at all possible.

                                                like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                                                everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                                                that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                                                power outages will tend to motivate people into
                                                looking at RE.
                                              • John Miggins
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 26, 2005
                                                  Noyes and all, now that Houston is back to normal,
                                                  Here is what i recommend.
                                                  doing it yourself for a small system is not too hard with the right
                                                  components

                                                  Size the charge controller larger than you need for growth.
                                                  Make sure you have blocking diode, most often in better controllers so the
                                                  panels do not drain energy from battery at night.

                                                  Get safe and robust batteries, deep cycle sealed, 12 volts.

                                                  Inverters should be fused between batteries and inverter with appropriate
                                                  sized DC fuses. Class T fuses with right size wire for safety.

                                                  This is where a solar company can help you.

                                                  One way to go is to purchase this home power center that is prewired for
                                                  the battery and Solar panel connections and then buy batteries locally,
                                                  solar panels from whereever you can get them, Southwest PV has panels in
                                                  stock in Houston, and then inverters/fusing from reputable source.

                                                  You get what you pay for.

                                                  As mentioned in the off line email, you can get a nice system built by us
                                                  for around $1500 with 2500 watt inverter and 200 amp battery bank, one 75
                                                  watt solar panel and charge controllers. You can also get these components
                                                  locally or at a myriad of places on the internet but shipping batteries and
                                                  solar panels is expensive.

                                                  Proper wire size and fusing is very important.- Here is a link to our home
                                                  power center which is a great way to start. Simply add batteries, solar
                                                  panels and inverter and you are making power.

                                                  http://www.harvest-energy.com/homePowerCenter.html

                                                  thanks for your interest.

                                                  John Miggins
                                                  Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                                                  "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                                                  www.harvest-energy.com
                                                  Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                                                  Cell: 918-521-6223

                                                  > thank you very much and i should have all the
                                                  > components of my basic backup system in place and set
                                                  > up within a month. if you come across other good
                                                  > sources of info. please let me know.
                                                  >
                                                  > i have the inverter, but i need to hunt for solar
                                                  > panels, charge controller, fusing, disconnects and
                                                  > would like to check into DC flourescent lighting and a
                                                  > fan or radio if at all possible.
                                                  >
                                                  > like clifford, i will take pictures and share with
                                                  > everyone via the internet. i just cant help but think
                                                  > that high energy prices coupled with more frequent
                                                  > power outages will tend to motivate people into
                                                  > looking at RE.
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                • blpasemann
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                                    Noyes,
                                                    I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                                    I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                                    it so I can do it my self. I have also thought about doing a small
                                                    system to run some lights, fan, etc. also. What part of houston do
                                                    you live in? Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                                    help. There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                                    As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                                    I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                                    email me
                                                    bpasemann@...
                                                    832-594-5658

                                                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                                    > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                                    >
                                                    > 1. is there a training program in the state of texas
                                                    > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                                    >
                                                    > 2. is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                                    > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                                    > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                                    > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                                    > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                                    > outage for 3-5 days? my budget would be appx.
                                                    > $1000-$1500.
                                                    >
                                                    > i have procastinated on this for some time. i would
                                                    > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                                    > communicate with me on this matter. while i was not
                                                    > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                                    > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                                    > into action.
                                                  • Israel Palacios
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 1, 2005

                                                      I have read that wind generated power is less expensive and in may be more productive than solar.  Before buying solar you might want to see which would be more cost effective.  I was interested in solar but, with demand outstripping supply the cost of solar is a premium.

                                                        I live in houston as well and want to learn about renewable energy.
                                                      I plan to put solar in my house at some time, but want to learn about
                                                      it so I can do it my self.  I have also thought about doing a small
                                                      system to run some lights, fan, etc. also.  What part of houston do
                                                      you live in?  Maybe we can learn together or if you set yours up I can
                                                      help.  There is tons of stuff on the web, it takes a lot of reading.
                                                      As I am finding out, there are many many facets to renewable energy.
                                                      I really want to do something with bio-diesel as well.

                                                      email me
                                                      bpasemann@...
                                                      832-594-5658

                                                      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, noyes livingston <noyesliv@y...> wrote:

                                                      > to anyone interested in giving some advice:
                                                      >
                                                      > 1.  is there a training program in the state of texas
                                                      > where one can study to become a solar contractor?
                                                      >
                                                      > 2.  is there anyone interested in giving advice,
                                                      > contacts to find the equiptment and the feedback as i
                                                      > am ready to build a small, portable system that would
                                                      > power two lights, a radio, a fan and perhaps something
                                                      > to boil water or heat food in the event of a power
                                                      > outage for 3-5 days?  my budget would be appx.
                                                      > $1000-$1500.
                                                      >
                                                      > i have procastinated on this for some time.  i would
                                                      > appreciate it if someone would be willing to
                                                      > communicate with me on this matter.  while i was not
                                                      > smart enough to plan for hurricane rita this time, i
                                                      > don't want to put off this idea that i have yet to put
                                                      > into action.

                                                    • noyes livingston
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                        isreal,

                                                        thank you for the reply. unfortunately, where we live
                                                        in alief, the wind is not very steady and i beleive we
                                                        would have problems with the deed restrictions. my
                                                        father has a beach home in port aransas and i am
                                                        trying to convince him that he needs a wind turbine to
                                                        generate electricity.

                                                        i will let you know if i am successful and once my
                                                        brother brings me a military grade inverter that he
                                                        has and i get the components together, i will take
                                                        pictures of everything and keep everyone up to date as
                                                        to our progress in creating change.

                                                        noyes
                                                      • Michael Ewert
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                          I came across these 3 packaged PV home systems:
                                                          http://www.sundog.org/proddetail.asp?id=272
                                                          http://www.harvest-energy.com/smallCabinSolar.html
                                                          http://www.sbtdesigns.com/products/solar03.htm

                                                          Has anyone seen a comparable home wind system? We could compare.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 2, 2005
                                                            During my visit to Paris (june 7-1, 2004)  to attend 19th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, there were two companies which represented Wind Energy:
                                                            1. Southwest Windpower: www.windenergy.com and info@...
                                                            2. Grundfos SQFlex. www.grundfos.com
                                                            This company sells separate PV and Wind systems, but also a Hybrid PV/Wind system as well.
                                                            I hope this information will be help.

                                                            Bashir A. Syedm
                                                            Member: ASES, APS, IEEE, UCS, New York Academy of Sciences, & Senior Member: ISES
                                                            Vice President, R&D
                                                            EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                                                            1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                                                            Houston, TX 77058
                                                            Bus. 281-333-9889/Fax: 281-461-1150
                                                            Direct: 281-286-3726/Cell: 713-560-6668
                                                            E-mail: bsyed@...

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006

                                                              Is anyone familiar with Egan & Hinson, an A/C company in Houston who claims to have Geothermal heat pump installation experience?

                                                              LaVerne A. William s, AIA, LEED® AP
                                                              Environment Associates, Architects & Consultants
                                                              laverne@...
                                                              713.528.0000

                                                            • deviant
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 16, 2006
                                                                Definitely. They installed the geothermal system on our house on
                                                                Valerie in Bellaire. You can ask Kathleen more about them.