RE: [hreg] Still more on the solar house

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2000
      I was in agreement with Kevin until I read Charles latest note below. E.g.
      I had an
      uneasy feeling about the proposal, in that it appeared self-serving (not
      that it wouldn't
      help others, but certainly would be of greatest benefit to Charles) and
      would make
      the professionals in our group feel taken advantage of, which I certainly
      would hate
      to see since they are such terrific resources for all of us (though
      hopefully we provide
      something of value to them in return).

      However, I like the way Charles puts it below. The idea of working
      collectively to put
      together a catalog of all the best ideas for the Houston area, and
      incorporating that into
      a house design, seems to me like a fun idea we could all contribute to. Do
      it as a group
      exercise, without Charles' needs specifically in mind, but then he or anyone
      else can build
      it later if desired, or use elements of the design. I'd propose that our
      professionals
      help in the process, but that when it comes to the stage of actually drawing
      up plans, and
      then later, actually building one, we pay them for professional services
      rendered, perhaps
      encouraging our professional members to work together on the project as a
      team, or making
      them bid on it, for fairness (e.g., not to discriminate any one particular
      professional
      member in our group). I'm thinking mostly here of architects. Taking it to
      the design
      and/or building stages would depend, of course, upon obtaining funding.

      If the first stage was a catalog of ideas, e.g., giving various options for
      each element of
      the structure, such as papercrete, adobe, strawbale, aerated concrete,
      faswall, etc., for
      the walls, another list for the windows, another list for the roof, cooling
      system, etc.,
      and giving pros/cons specifically for the Houston area (with references),
      that would be a
      terrific resource. If this were done as part of our website, it could be a
      living document
      that evolves with time.

      My 2 cents...

      Robert