Re: [hreg] Tours

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2005
      Amanda,
      HREG is preparing to host a Solar Home tour the last Sunday in October (tentative).  This tour is part of the American Solar Energy Society's Annual Solar Home Tour.  The dates do not match, however, keep us updated on the AIA tour.  I'm sure many of us would like to participate.
      Regards,
      Chris

      Amanda Tullos <atullos@...> wrote:
      Is HREG planning another tour anytime soon?

      AIA Houston Committee on the Environment is planning a building tour for August 6th (or alternately the 13th). We plan on touring Emerson Unitarian Church, American Heart Association, and UT School of Nursing. We would love to collaborate; if you all are interested, let me know.

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      co-Chair
      AIA COTE - Houston
      American Institute of Architects
      Committee on the Environment
      http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      Heights Venture Architects, LLP
      1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
      Houston, TX 77008
      713.869.1103 x169
      amanda.tullos@...

      Thanks for joining us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

    • Amanda Tullos
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2005

        If HREG is planning for October (much nicer weather for sure!)no problem; but if anyone wants to throw their house or electric car or biodiesel into the mix, let me know.

        I will be happy to send the announcement when everything is formalized. We will charge $10, and any CEU's will be self-reporting.

        Here are short descriptions on each of the buildings:

        Emerson Unitarian Church Education building-1900 Bering Drive Preliminary LEED certification Architect - Ray Bailey Architects The 7th principal of the Unitarian Church is “To promote respect for the interdependent web of existence of which we are all a part.” Emerson Unitarian Church wanted their new educational building to reflect a strong environmental ethic and serve as a wise investment, but was unsure if they could afford a green building. Working with off the shelf technologies and products and a limited budget, Bailey Architects was able to design a building and site that will deliver long term savings in operating costs and maintenance, and provide a healthy, environmentally sound place to worship and learn. The final result is the first liturgical building in the nation to achieve LEED certification.

        American Heart Association 10060 Buffalo Speedway

        LEED Registered

        Architect

        Kirksey

        20,000 s.f. facility for the local chapter of the American Heart Association. Offices, Reception, Resource Center, Conferencing Center, and Teaching Kitchen, all overlooking a central courtyard. The goal of the project was to provide a building that reflects the client's core mission- the promotion of health and a healthy lifestyle. A green building was the perfect fit.

        The building uses 50% less exterior water, 49% less interior water and is 15% more energy efficient. 77% of the construction debris was diverted from the landfill, 80% of the construction materials contained recycled content, 78% of construction materials were manufactured locally. Air and light quality measures include low VOC paint, adhesives, sealants and carpet, protection of ductwork to prevent moisture and particulate contamination. CO2 monitoring, and natural light and views for every occupant.

        University of Texas School of Nursing and Student Community Center,

        6901 Bertner Avenue

        LEED Gold Certified

        Architects- BNIM, in collaboration with, Lake Flato Architects As BNIM Architects’ most recent example of award-winning sustainable design excellence, the School of Nursing and Student Community Center at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston establishes benchmarks for healthy buildings. Using the LEED® rating system as a platform, this building achieves the highest levels of sustainable design, resulting in practices that extend well beyond the guidelines of the LEED program. While the building is slated to achieve a Gold rating, its design accommodates systems that could eventually attain a Platinum level.

        The use of an integrated design approach resulted in numerous concepts that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air, daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize building performance.

        Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2005
          Thanks for the info.
          Can you tell me what is "under-floor displacement air"?

        • Steve Stelzer
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2005
            Hey Amanda,  When is your next meeting?  I'd like to attend.  I'd like to get this tour on the USGBC emailing at least.  How about making this tour a joint program with the USGBC, since their LEED Certified Buildings?  I don't know why we haven't done this ourselves.

            Anyway, I'm not trying to rain on COTE's parade.  You guys are doing some great work.  But we may want to coordinate our events so we don't overlap too much, and between COTE, USGBC, and Cultivate Green, we ought to be talking to each other more.  Let me know.

            Best regards,
            Steve Stelzer

            Message 5 of 7 , May 27, 2005
              Under-floor displacement air is sort of like raised access flooring you
              might see in a computer lab. The basic merits of the system are to keep the
              A/C near where the people are and to be more flexible for the Owner (usually
              office spaces).

              Keeping the A/C output near the user mean less "throw" and since heat rises
              and cool falls, it help to save energy and reduce pollution. The user can
              aim the diffuser or close it if it is too cold, giving him/ her more control
              over their area. Office spaces move people or change phones, computers,
              etc. around fairly often, and using this system saves time making these
              adjustments.
              There is more info at this website: http://www.mccoyinc.com/raisedaccess.asp

              Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

              Amanda Tullos wrote:

> [...]
              > that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies
              > such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air,
              > daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and
              > recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to
              > minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize
              > building performance.

              > *Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
              > *co-Chair
              > AIA COTE - Houston
              > American Institute of Architects
              > Committee on the Environment
              > http://www.aiahouston.org/cote
              >
              > Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
              > Heights Venture Architects, LLP
              > 1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
              > Houston, TX 77008
              > 713.869.1103 x169
              > amanda.tullos@... <mailto:amanda.tullos@...>
              >
              > Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast

              low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/HO7EnA/3MnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM