Re: [hreg] Tours

  • J P Malone
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2005
      Following article in current Fortune Magazine may be of interest to some
      of you.

      THIS JUST IN
      The Quest for Eternal Flight
      Engineers dream of a solar plane that never needs to land. Far-fetched?
      They’ve just hit the 24-hour mark.
      FORTUNE
      Tuesday, May 17, 2005
      By Stuart F. Brown

      Seen through the eye of a tiny videocamera aboard Alan Cocconi’s
      remarkable unmanned airplane, parallel rows of runway lights become
      discernible as the craft turns into its final approach for a nighttime
      landing. /SoLong,/ as the plane is called, touches down at about 30
      miles per hour and slows to a stop. The "runway" turns out to be the
      crazed alkaline surface of El Mirage Dry Lake in the Mojave Desert
      northeast of Los Angeles. And the illumination system reveals itself to
      be a bunch of recreational-vehicle dome lights bought at Home Depot for
      $2 apiece. But Cocconi has just achieved an engineering milestone. Using
      a mixture of the most advanced technology on earth and parts pilfered
      from flashlights and a bathroom scale, he has kept his radio-controlled
      solar-electric plane aloft for 24 consecutive hours in the longest
      flight ever made by an electric-powered aircraft.

      Cocconi is chasing the dream of an electrically powered "eternal
      airplane" that can stay aloft for days or months on end. That idea was
      first articulated by Dr. Paul MacCready, chairman of AeroVironment Inc.
      in nearby Monrovia, which has built several renowned human- and
      solar-powered planes. AeroVironment’s 247-foot-wingspan Helios
      solar-electric plane achieved great feats—including climbing to an
      altitude of 97,000 feet, higher than any other nonrocket plane—before
      being destroyed in a testing accident in Hawaii two years ago. "Alan has
      been very dedicated to the subject of systems efficiency, and now the
      work is paying off," MacCready said after /SoLong’s/ 24-hour flight.
      "It’s a step in the direction of the eternal airplane."

      Why an eternal airplane? There is the conceptual elegance of building
      something that goes up but does not come down. There could also be
      practical uses for a craft that dwells in the sky and draws its power
      from the sun: telecommunications without satellites, for instance, or
      environmental monitoring, and of course military surveillance, although
      Cocconi prefers to focus on peaceful applications. (Cocconi, who has a
      peace symbol made of tape on the rear window of his Subaru, has to keep
      a sharp eye out at El Mirage for the Predator military drones that
      builder General Atomics flight-tests in the area. "They fly them every
      day," he says, "so I’m always trying to avoid the Predators.")

      A lanky guy with an easy grin, Cocconi is one of the smartest
      electro/mechanical/aeronautical engineers around. Electrons and
      molecules of air are among his best friends. I first met him in
      Australia in 1987, where he was tending to the sophisticated
      power-supply system he fabricated for the GM Sunraycer solar-electric
      car (built by AeroVironment) that outran all rivals in a race across the
      continent. Since then his company, AC Propulsion in San Dimas, Calif.,
      has fabricated battery packs, powerful and efficient motors, and the
      magical black boxes of circuitry needed by the developers of hybrid and
      electric vehicles. He has also built battery-electric sports cars that
      sprint up the nearby San Gabriel mountains like nobody’s business.

      For the past year and a half Cocconi has been cloistered in his
      house—which is cluttered with electronic test equipment, workbenches,
      and a metalworking lathe—building the 25-pound, 16-foot-wingspan plane
      that flew for 24 hours in late April. /SoLong/ is a real piece of work,
      deftly integrating the latest in high-efficiency componentry: hot-rod
      photovoltaic cells that convert 20% of the sunlight that strikes them
      into electricity; a bespoke motor-drive system that spins the propeller
      with 88% electrical efficiency; an autopilot of Cocconi’s own design;
      and a pack of 96 cylindrical lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. "Laptop
      computers have driven the battery improvements that kept us in the air
      during the night," he observes. Cocconi custom-machined the aluminum
      tooling needed to bend the solar cells to conform with the curvature of
      /SoLong’s/ graceful composite wings.

      /SoLong’s/ flight in April was a labor-intensive affair. "The idea was
      to achieve a 24-hour flight initially, and then to try flying through
      two consecutive nights in June, when the days are longest," Cocconi
      says. Five experienced radio-controlled aircraft pilots took turns
      guiding the craft, searching for thermal updrafts rising from the desert
      floor during the daylight hours to give /SoLong/ altitude for free, like
      a lazily circling hawk looking for prey. Only when the plane descended
      to a minimum safe altitude did its electric motor switch on, spending
      solar energy stored in its batteries to stay aloft. The propeller’s twin
      carbon-fiber blades are attached to a variable-pitch hub that
      automatically seeks an optimal blade angle for the amount of motor power
      being used at the moment. When the motor shuts down, the prop blades
      fold back against the airplane’s nose to minimize drag. Mission control
      is a five- by eight-foot trailer packed with computers and equipment
      that logs performance data streaming in via 23 radio channels.

      Cocconi’s record-breaking flight sliced 24 hours pretty thin. To avoid
      having to fly through an entire night, the plane was launched just after
      midnight on April 21 with its batteries fully charged. /SoLong/ made its
      takeoff run along the whitish, dusty surface of the dry lakebed on a
      wheeled dolly made mostly of PVC plastic pipe of the type sold at … Home
      Depot.

      As its wings bit the air and the plane climbed into the night, the dolly
      stayed behind on the ground; /SoLong/ relies on wingtip and belly skids
      for landing. When the sun rose at 6:10, electric current gradually began
      flowing from the 76 wingtop solar cells, augmenting the power from the
      batteries. By 2:30 in the afternoon the batteries were full again, and
      when the aircraft finally touched down just after midnight it still had
      40% of its battery power remaining. "We could have flown for four more
      hours, but we couldn’t have it made to dawn with that setup," Cocconi
      says. With that goal in mind, he’ll be adding two more pounds of laptop
      batteries for the two-night flight planned for June. If that succeeds,
      nobody will be able to say Cocconi sliced it too thin. /SoLong/ will
      have ventured into the unfamiliar skies of eternity.

      The longest airplane flight on record is the famous 1986 round-the-world
      trip by Burt Rutan’s /Voyager,/ which took nine days. But /Voyager/ was
      piloted, piston-powered, and could fly only as long as its fuel supply
      permitted.

      Efficiency-obsessed engineers like Cocconi and MacCready are believers
      in the power of amazing demonstrations to change the way people think
      about energy use and the possibilities of ultralightweight technology.
      As new materials and components are invented and existing ones continue
      to improve, their machines will begin to look less like exercises in
      exotica and more like something that can work. Like those cool drawings
      in Leonardo da Vinci’s notebook.
    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2005
        Amanda,
        HREG is preparing to host a Solar Home tour the last Sunday in October (tentative).  This tour is part of the American Solar Energy Society's Annual Solar Home Tour.  The dates do not match, however, keep us updated on the AIA tour.  I'm sure many of us would like to participate.
        Regards,
        Chris

        Amanda Tullos <atullos@...> wrote:
        Is HREG planning another tour anytime soon?

        AIA Houston Committee on the Environment is planning a building tour for August 6th (or alternately the 13th). We plan on touring Emerson Unitarian Church, American Heart Association, and UT School of Nursing. We would love to collaborate; if you all are interested, let me know.

        Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
        co-Chair
        AIA COTE - Houston
        American Institute of Architects
        Committee on the Environment
        http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

        Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
        Heights Venture Architects, LLP
        1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
        Houston, TX 77008
        713.869.1103 x169
        amanda.tullos@...

        Thanks for joining us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

      • Amanda Tullos
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2005

          If HREG is planning for October (much nicer weather for sure!)no problem; but if anyone wants to throw their house or electric car or biodiesel into the mix, let me know.

          I will be happy to send the announcement when everything is formalized. We will charge $10, and any CEU's will be self-reporting.

          Here are short descriptions on each of the buildings:

          Emerson Unitarian Church Education building-1900 Bering Drive Preliminary LEED certification Architect - Ray Bailey Architects The 7th principal of the Unitarian Church is “To promote respect for the interdependent web of existence of which we are all a part.” Emerson Unitarian Church wanted their new educational building to reflect a strong environmental ethic and serve as a wise investment, but was unsure if they could afford a green building. Working with off the shelf technologies and products and a limited budget, Bailey Architects was able to design a building and site that will deliver long term savings in operating costs and maintenance, and provide a healthy, environmentally sound place to worship and learn. The final result is the first liturgical building in the nation to achieve LEED certification.

          American Heart Association 10060 Buffalo Speedway

          LEED Registered

          Architect

          Kirksey

          20,000 s.f. facility for the local chapter of the American Heart Association. Offices, Reception, Resource Center, Conferencing Center, and Teaching Kitchen, all overlooking a central courtyard. The goal of the project was to provide a building that reflects the client's core mission- the promotion of health and a healthy lifestyle. A green building was the perfect fit.

          The building uses 50% less exterior water, 49% less interior water and is 15% more energy efficient. 77% of the construction debris was diverted from the landfill, 80% of the construction materials contained recycled content, 78% of construction materials were manufactured locally. Air and light quality measures include low VOC paint, adhesives, sealants and carpet, protection of ductwork to prevent moisture and particulate contamination. CO2 monitoring, and natural light and views for every occupant.

          University of Texas School of Nursing and Student Community Center,

          6901 Bertner Avenue

          LEED Gold Certified

          Architects- BNIM, in collaboration with, Lake Flato Architects As BNIM Architects’ most recent example of award-winning sustainable design excellence, the School of Nursing and Student Community Center at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston establishes benchmarks for healthy buildings. Using the LEED® rating system as a platform, this building achieves the highest levels of sustainable design, resulting in practices that extend well beyond the guidelines of the LEED program. While the building is slated to achieve a Gold rating, its design accommodates systems that could eventually attain a Platinum level.

          The use of an integrated design approach resulted in numerous concepts that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air, daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize building performance.

          Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2005
            Thanks for the info.
            Can you tell me what is "under-floor displacement air"?

          • Steve Stelzer
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26, 2005
              Hey Amanda,  When is your next meeting?  I'd like to attend.  I'd like to get this tour on the USGBC emailing at least.  How about making this tour a joint program with the USGBC, since their LEED Certified Buildings?  I don't know why we haven't done this ourselves.

              Anyway, I'm not trying to rain on COTE's parade.  You guys are doing some great work.  But we may want to coordinate our events so we don't overlap too much, and between COTE, USGBC, and Cultivate Green, we ought to be talking to each other more.  Let me know.

              Best regards,
              Steve Stelzer

              Message 6 of 7 , May 27, 2005
                Under-floor displacement air is sort of like raised access flooring you
                might see in a computer lab. The basic merits of the system are to keep the
                A/C near where the people are and to be more flexible for the Owner (usually
                office spaces).

                Keeping the A/C output near the user mean less "throw" and since heat rises
                and cool falls, it help to save energy and reduce pollution. The user can
                aim the diffuser or close it if it is too cold, giving him/ her more control
                over their area. Office spaces move people or change phones, computers,
                etc. around fairly often, and using this system saves time making these
                adjustments.
                There is more info at this website: http://www.mccoyinc.com/raisedaccess.asp

                Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

                Amanda Tullos wrote:

> [...]
                > that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies
                > such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air,
                > daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and
                > recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to
                > minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize
                > building performance.

                > *Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
                > *co-Chair
                > AIA COTE - Houston
                > American Institute of Architects
                > Committee on the Environment
                > http://www.aiahouston.org/cote
                >
                > Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
                > Heights Venture Architects, LLP
                > 1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
                > Houston, TX 77008
                > 713.869.1103 x169
                > amanda.tullos@... <mailto:amanda.tullos@...>
                >
                > Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast

                low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/HO7EnA/3MnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM