Tours

  • Amanda Tullos
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24, 2005
      Blank
      Is HREG planning another tour anytime soon?

      AIA Houston Committee on the Environment is planning a building tour for August 6th (or alternately the 13th). We plan on touring Emerson Unitarian Church, American Heart Association, and UT School of Nursing. We would love to collaborate; if you all are interested, let me know.

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      co-Chair
      AIA COTE - Houston
      American Institute of Architects
      Committee on the Environment
      http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      Heights Venture Architects, LLP
      1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
      Houston, TX 77008
      713.869.1103 x169
      amanda.tullos@...

      Thanks for joining us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

    • J P Malone
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2005
        Following article in current Fortune Magazine may be of interest to some
        of you.

        THIS JUST IN
        The Quest for Eternal Flight
        Engineers dream of a solar plane that never needs to land. Far-fetched?
        They’ve just hit the 24-hour mark.
        FORTUNE
        Tuesday, May 17, 2005
        By Stuart F. Brown

        Seen through the eye of a tiny videocamera aboard Alan Cocconi’s
        remarkable unmanned airplane, parallel rows of runway lights become
        discernible as the craft turns into its final approach for a nighttime
        landing. /SoLong,/ as the plane is called, touches down at about 30
        miles per hour and slows to a stop. The "runway" turns out to be the
        crazed alkaline surface of El Mirage Dry Lake in the Mojave Desert
        northeast of Los Angeles. And the illumination system reveals itself to
        be a bunch of recreational-vehicle dome lights bought at Home Depot for
        $2 apiece. But Cocconi has just achieved an engineering milestone. Using
        a mixture of the most advanced technology on earth and parts pilfered
        from flashlights and a bathroom scale, he has kept his radio-controlled
        solar-electric plane aloft for 24 consecutive hours in the longest
        flight ever made by an electric-powered aircraft.

        Cocconi is chasing the dream of an electrically powered "eternal
        airplane" that can stay aloft for days or months on end. That idea was
        first articulated by Dr. Paul MacCready, chairman of AeroVironment Inc.
        in nearby Monrovia, which has built several renowned human- and
        solar-powered planes. AeroVironment’s 247-foot-wingspan Helios
        solar-electric plane achieved great feats—including climbing to an
        altitude of 97,000 feet, higher than any other nonrocket plane—before
        being destroyed in a testing accident in Hawaii two years ago. "Alan has
        been very dedicated to the subject of systems efficiency, and now the
        work is paying off," MacCready said after /SoLong’s/ 24-hour flight.
        "It’s a step in the direction of the eternal airplane."

        Why an eternal airplane? There is the conceptual elegance of building
        something that goes up but does not come down. There could also be
        practical uses for a craft that dwells in the sky and draws its power
        from the sun: telecommunications without satellites, for instance, or
        environmental monitoring, and of course military surveillance, although
        Cocconi prefers to focus on peaceful applications. (Cocconi, who has a
        peace symbol made of tape on the rear window of his Subaru, has to keep
        a sharp eye out at El Mirage for the Predator military drones that
        builder General Atomics flight-tests in the area. "They fly them every
        day," he says, "so I’m always trying to avoid the Predators.")

        A lanky guy with an easy grin, Cocconi is one of the smartest
        electro/mechanical/aeronautical engineers around. Electrons and
        molecules of air are among his best friends. I first met him in
        Australia in 1987, where he was tending to the sophisticated
        power-supply system he fabricated for the GM Sunraycer solar-electric
        car (built by AeroVironment) that outran all rivals in a race across the
        continent. Since then his company, AC Propulsion in San Dimas, Calif.,
        has fabricated battery packs, powerful and efficient motors, and the
        magical black boxes of circuitry needed by the developers of hybrid and
        electric vehicles. He has also built battery-electric sports cars that
        sprint up the nearby San Gabriel mountains like nobody’s business.

        For the past year and a half Cocconi has been cloistered in his
        house—which is cluttered with electronic test equipment, workbenches,
        and a metalworking lathe—building the 25-pound, 16-foot-wingspan plane
        that flew for 24 hours in late April. /SoLong/ is a real piece of work,
        deftly integrating the latest in high-efficiency componentry: hot-rod
        photovoltaic cells that convert 20% of the sunlight that strikes them
        into electricity; a bespoke motor-drive system that spins the propeller
        with 88% electrical efficiency; an autopilot of Cocconi’s own design;
        and a pack of 96 cylindrical lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. "Laptop
        computers have driven the battery improvements that kept us in the air
        during the night," he observes. Cocconi custom-machined the aluminum
        tooling needed to bend the solar cells to conform with the curvature of
        /SoLong’s/ graceful composite wings.

        /SoLong’s/ flight in April was a labor-intensive affair. "The idea was
        to achieve a 24-hour flight initially, and then to try flying through
        two consecutive nights in June, when the days are longest," Cocconi
        says. Five experienced radio-controlled aircraft pilots took turns
        guiding the craft, searching for thermal updrafts rising from the desert
        floor during the daylight hours to give /SoLong/ altitude for free, like
        a lazily circling hawk looking for prey. Only when the plane descended
        to a minimum safe altitude did its electric motor switch on, spending
        solar energy stored in its batteries to stay aloft. The propeller’s twin
        carbon-fiber blades are attached to a variable-pitch hub that
        automatically seeks an optimal blade angle for the amount of motor power
        being used at the moment. When the motor shuts down, the prop blades
        fold back against the airplane’s nose to minimize drag. Mission control
        is a five- by eight-foot trailer packed with computers and equipment
        that logs performance data streaming in via 23 radio channels.

        Cocconi’s record-breaking flight sliced 24 hours pretty thin. To avoid
        having to fly through an entire night, the plane was launched just after
        midnight on April 21 with its batteries fully charged. /SoLong/ made its
        takeoff run along the whitish, dusty surface of the dry lakebed on a
        wheeled dolly made mostly of PVC plastic pipe of the type sold at … Home
        Depot.

        As its wings bit the air and the plane climbed into the night, the dolly
        stayed behind on the ground; /SoLong/ relies on wingtip and belly skids
        for landing. When the sun rose at 6:10, electric current gradually began
        flowing from the 76 wingtop solar cells, augmenting the power from the
        batteries. By 2:30 in the afternoon the batteries were full again, and
        when the aircraft finally touched down just after midnight it still had
        40% of its battery power remaining. "We could have flown for four more
        hours, but we couldn’t have it made to dawn with that setup," Cocconi
        says. With that goal in mind, he’ll be adding two more pounds of laptop
        batteries for the two-night flight planned for June. If that succeeds,
        nobody will be able to say Cocconi sliced it too thin. /SoLong/ will
        have ventured into the unfamiliar skies of eternity.

        The longest airplane flight on record is the famous 1986 round-the-world
        trip by Burt Rutan’s /Voyager,/ which took nine days. But /Voyager/ was
        piloted, piston-powered, and could fly only as long as its fuel supply
        permitted.

        Efficiency-obsessed engineers like Cocconi and MacCready are believers
        in the power of amazing demonstrations to change the way people think
        about energy use and the possibilities of ultralightweight technology.
        As new materials and components are invented and existing ones continue
        to improve, their machines will begin to look less like exercises in
        exotica and more like something that can work. Like those cool drawings
        in Leonardo da Vinci’s notebook.
      • Roxanne Boyer

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2005

            If HREG is planning for October (much nicer weather for sure!)no problem; but if anyone wants to throw their house or electric car or biodiesel into the mix, let me know.

            I will be happy to send the announcement when everything is formalized. We will charge $10, and any CEU's will be self-reporting.

            Here are short descriptions on each of the buildings:

            Emerson Unitarian Church Education building-1900 Bering Drive Preliminary LEED certification Architect - Ray Bailey Architects The 7th principal of the Unitarian Church is “To promote respect for the interdependent web of existence of which we are all a part.” Emerson Unitarian Church wanted their new educational building to reflect a strong environmental ethic and serve as a wise investment, but was unsure if they could afford a green building. Working with off the shelf technologies and products and a limited budget, Bailey Architects was able to design a building and site that will deliver long term savings in operating costs and maintenance, and provide a healthy, environmentally sound place to worship and learn. The final result is the first liturgical building in the nation to achieve LEED certification.

            American Heart Association 10060 Buffalo Speedway

            LEED Registered

            Architect

            Kirksey

            20,000 s.f. facility for the local chapter of the American Heart Association. Offices, Reception, Resource Center, Conferencing Center, and Teaching Kitchen, all overlooking a central courtyard. The goal of the project was to provide a building that reflects the client's core mission- the promotion of health and a healthy lifestyle. A green building was the perfect fit.

            The building uses 50% less exterior water, 49% less interior water and is 15% more energy efficient. 77% of the construction debris was diverted from the landfill, 80% of the construction materials contained recycled content, 78% of construction materials were manufactured locally. Air and light quality measures include low VOC paint, adhesives, sealants and carpet, protection of ductwork to prevent moisture and particulate contamination. CO2 monitoring, and natural light and views for every occupant.

            University of Texas School of Nursing and Student Community Center,

            6901 Bertner Avenue

            LEED Gold Certified

            Architects- BNIM, in collaboration with, Lake Flato Architects As BNIM Architects’ most recent example of award-winning sustainable design excellence, the School of Nursing and Student Community Center at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston establishes benchmarks for healthy buildings. Using the LEED® rating system as a platform, this building achieves the highest levels of sustainable design, resulting in practices that extend well beyond the guidelines of the LEED program. While the building is slated to achieve a Gold rating, its design accommodates systems that could eventually attain a Platinum level.

            The use of an integrated design approach resulted in numerous concepts that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air, daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize building performance.

            Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast Green. For more information visit www.gulfcoastgreen.org

            Message 5 of 7 , May 26, 2005
              Thanks for the info.
              Can you tell me what is "under-floor displacement air"?

            • Steve Stelzer
              Message 6 of 7 , May 26, 2005
                Hey Amanda,  When is your next meeting?  I'd like to attend.  I'd like to get this tour on the USGBC emailing at least.  How about making this tour a joint program with the USGBC, since their LEED Certified Buildings?  I don't know why we haven't done this ourselves.

                Anyway, I'm not trying to rain on COTE's parade.  You guys are doing some great work.  But we may want to coordinate our events so we don't overlap too much, and between COTE, USGBC, and Cultivate Green, we ought to be talking to each other more.  Let me know.

                Best regards,
                Steve Stelzer

                Message 7 of 7 , May 27, 2005
                  Under-floor displacement air is sort of like raised access flooring you
                  might see in a computer lab. The basic merits of the system are to keep the
                  A/C near where the people are and to be more flexible for the Owner (usually
                  office spaces).

                  Keeping the A/C output near the user mean less "throw" and since heat rises
                  and cool falls, it help to save energy and reduce pollution. The user can
                  aim the diffuser or close it if it is too cold, giving him/ her more control
                  over their area. Office spaces move people or change phones, computers,
                  etc. around fairly often, and using this system saves time making these
                  adjustments.
                  There is more info at this website: http://www.mccoyinc.com/raisedaccess.asp

                  Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

                  Amanda Tullos wrote:

> [...]
                  > that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies
                  > such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air,
                  > daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and
                  > recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to
                  > minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize
                  > building performance.

                  > *Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
                  > *co-Chair
                  > AIA COTE - Houston
                  > American Institute of Architects
                  > Committee on the Environment
                  > http://www.aiahouston.org/cote
                  >
                  > Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
                  > Heights Venture Architects, LLP
                  > 1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
                  > Houston, TX 77008
                  > 713.869.1103 x169
                  > amanda.tullos@... <mailto:amanda.tullos@...>
                  >
                  > Join us at Houston's first Symposium on Green Building- Gulf Coast

                  low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/HO7EnA/3MnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM