solar art project

  • Buffalo Bayou ArtPark
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2005

      Hi Everyone,

      I’m new to the group and requested to join because I direct a public arts organization (the Buffalo Bayou ArtPark) that often displays work by environmental artists. Currently we are working on a project with Mara Adamitz Scrupe from Washington DC (www.scrupe.com) that will involve solar panels and I was hoping to take advantage of the expertise of members of the group.

      Mara is planning a project that will be up for a month in the Sunset Coffee Building ( 1019 Commerce Street —on Allen’s Landing) in downtown Houston from June 2 – 26. It involves light boxes that will be lit with the power from solar panels. The light boxes will contain images of native plants and there will be assemblies featuring these plants. If you’d like more information about the project, or us, please visit out website (www.bbap-houston.org).

      I know this is pretty soon, but if anyone is free to help install the panels we’d appreciate it. We also need to locate around 12 (twelve) 6-volt deep cycle golf cart type batteries as well as the battery cables to hook them up altogether to create a 12 volt system. If anyone has a suggestion about where we should go, please let me know.

      Beyond this, we’re interested in incorporating alternative energy in more of our displays or exhibiting art that incorporates alternative energy. Please let us know if you are too.

      Thanks,
      Kevin Jefferies

      BBAP: The Buffalo Bayou ArtPark
      P.O. Box 70260
      Houston , Texas 77270-0260
      713.520.0152

    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2005
        Kevin,

        I recently shopped for deep-discharge batteries for an electric vehicle and found two places.  I purchased my batteries from Energy Battery and Electric on N. Shepherd, 713-868-4400.  There is also Continental Battery Co on Irvington 713-697-8417.

        My electric vehicle is sort of alternative energy art: I welded the back-end of a motorcycle and the front end of a 4-wheeler to a battery box frame.  It rides two wheels up front, and one wheel in back.  (I attached a photo, but I'm not sure it will go through).  It rides well now, but I need to put lights and a body on it before taking it on the street legally.  If you do something like this again, let me know and I should be ready by then.

        Best wishes,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2005

          Hi Chris, Thanks a lot for the info.

          The photo came through just fine. The vehicle looks like a blast. I’ll keep you in the loop about future projects in case we’re able to work together. Can I put you on our email list?

          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2005
            That is a cool looking vehicle Chris, I bet the steering was hard to work out with two front wheels.

            Good source of batteries is MK Battery in Houston,
            they are also made in USA.

            if you cannot buy direct call me and you can use my account.

            Houston Warehouse
            16511 Hedgecroft, Suite 214
            Houston, TX 77060
            800-372-9253

            John Miggins
            Harvest Solar & Wind Power
            "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
            www.harvest-energy.com
            Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2005
              Let me know if this exhibit comes to San Antonio.
              Sounds like something I might want to help with.

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              (210) 698-7109
              www.sbtdesigns.com
            • Gardiner, James
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2005
                Hi Kevin,

                When is the panel installation due to take place?  I'm new to the group too and have no expertise as such but would be happy to help set up.

                regards
                James
[...]

                NOTICE:

                This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this e-mail by you is prohibited.

              • Bashir Syed
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2005
                  Although, I intend to be traveling after middle of June (attending "Inter Solar" in Freiburg, Germany and other international Solar ventures),  in case you need any kind of consultation regarding PV panels, EnerTech can provide it.

                  Bashir A. Syed
                  Vice President, R&D
                  EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                  (International Renewable Energy Consultants)
                  1120 NASA Parkway, Ste. 220W
                  Houston, TX 77058
                  Ph. 281-333-9889/Cell: 713-560-6668