Green Homes 101 workshop......WED, May 18th

  • Environment Associates Architects
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2005

      GREEN HOMES 101 WORKSHOP

      Residential Construction and Demolition Waste......Wednesday May 18, 6-9pm

      In keeping with my ongoing personal and professional mission for educating consumers about Green Homes, Green Buildings, and Green Communities as beneficial habitats, and their vital importance to our health and well being, here is another in a series of seminars concerning green residences in our climate zone.

      Not only must the waste involved in the construction and demolition of homes be reduced, we must also change our way of thinking about such waste.   Construction and demolition waste issues (usually thought of as "out-of-sight, out-of-mind") are gaining the recognition they deserve as we begin to realize we must transition from "cradle-to-grave" (thinking that is poisoning our own nest) to a wholistic "cradle-to-cradle" kind of mentality (cradle-to-cradle means every material's reuse is considered vital as biological or technical nutrients).

      While these presentations will probably be focused on what we can do right now, those attending will gain valuable insights about important issues that must be resolved as we transition from our deathly cradle-to-grave mentality to life-giving cradle-to-cradle thinking.

      University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture, Building, Room 150

       We would greatly appreciate it if you could pass email on to others that may be interested.

       (Please note that in keeping with my promise to you that I would not share your email address with others, I am personally having this notice sent to you)

      Sincerely,

      LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
      architect & building ecologist
      laverne@...
      ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
      5828 Langfield Road
      Houston, TX 77092-1429
      713.528.0000
      866.815.2527 toll free
      www.environmentassoc.com
      30+ Years of Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture

      Design Counseling / Consulting / Design / Construction Documents / Construction Administration Services

      Please join us for the next Cultivate Green Workshop!

      Residential C&D Waste

      Presentations by:

      Greg Roberts, Watkins, Hamilton and Ross, USGBC: Commercial Demolition Waste

      Marisa Hegyesi, Commercial Metals: Environmental Benefits of Scrap Metal Recycling

      Lynn Edmundson, Historic Houston Salvage: Residential Renovation Salvage

      Brian Yeoman, Houston Advanced Research Center: Residential Construction and Demolition Waste.

       RSVP: tkurtin@...

      Terri Kurtin

      Sustainable Technologies Group

      HARC