Re: [hreg] Green energy

  • H.C. Clark
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2005
      I have two friends who recently asked to change to Green Mountain and Centerpoint [Reliant] gave them a long and deliberate runaround.  For this reason, I am changing to GM and hope you do as well.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2005
        We have been on the GM program for several years. When they offered the 100% wind deal I hesitated a bit but joined in that program too.
        Turns out that when fuel-cost driven price hikes happen across the board, the 100% wind program prices jump too. That's not supposed to happen since the 'fuel' price for wind is non-volatile.
        Something about the lesser of 2 evils...
        Jim Duncan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2005
          Charlie,

          In short, you can keep your penny per kWh and subscribe to Green
          Mountain's Pollution-Free plan.

          I too have been frustrated by GME's small, grass roots campaign
          and
          lack of mass marketing.

          GME offers two plans: 1) Pollution-Free (10% Wind, 90% Hydro) and 2)
          100% Wind. The Pollution-Free plan is the same price as Reliant's
          regular price (the price-to-beat). Or you can choose the 100% Wind
          plan. It is one penny more per kWh over Reliant's price-to-beat. That
          amounts to $10 more per month based on 1,000 kWh consumption for the
          100% Wind plan ($.01 * 1,000 kWh = $10).

          CenterPoint (separate from Reliant) reads your meter and maintains
          the grid regardless of which electric utility retailer you choose. So
          reliability is the same and is guaranteed by the Public Utility
          Commission of Texas.

          GME Facts:
          Switching is free
          No deposit required
          No minimum term (no contract)
          GME Pollution-Free price is the exact same as Reli
          ant'sfossil-fuel
          based plan (price-to-beat) and one penny less per kHw than
          Reliant's
          Renewable plan.

          Prices as of 5/4/05:
          Reliant Energy – Price to beat – $.1220/kWh
          Green Mountain – Pollution-Free – $.1219/kWh
          Green Mountain – 100% Wind – $.1319/kWh
          Reliant Energy – Renewable Plan – $.1320/kWh

          Like I said earlier, if you decide to switch please help a brother
          out and go through me. I get a modest commission for each person that
          switches. You can either call me, email me or use this link to switch:

          http://www.greenmountain.com/sales/jbalkite

          Take care,

          James Balkite
          832.452.3319 cell