Green energy

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2005
      Lots of people have various questions and problems regarding Green Mountain. I have done some research and it appears that most of those issues are due to inadequate information or poor PR by GM but they still exist.

      Reliant Energy now has a plan whereby they will provide their customers 100% green wind generated energy for a flat extra fee of one cent per KWH. All you have to do is call and ask to be put on the program. Does anyone know how this price compares with Green Mountain?

      Charlie
    • H.C. Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2005
        I have two friends who recently asked to change to Green Mountain and Centerpoint [Reliant] gave them a long and deliberate runaround.  For this reason, I am changing to GM and hope you do as well.
        Lots of people have various questions and problems regarding Green Mountain. I have done some research and it appears that most of those issues are due to inadequate information or poor PR by GM but they still exist.

        Reliant Energy now has a plan whereby they will provide their customers 100% green wind generated energy for a flat extra fee of one cent per KWH. All you have to do is call and ask to be put on the program. Does anyone know how this price compares with Green Mountain?

        Charlie
      • Jim & Janet
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2005
          We have been on the GM program for several years. When they offered the 100% wind deal I hesitated a bit but joined in that program too.
          Turns out that when fuel-cost driven price hikes happen across the board, the 100% wind program prices jump too. That's not supposed to happen since the 'fuel' price for wind is non-volatile.
          Something about the lesser of 2 evils...
          Jim Duncan
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2005
            Charlie,

            In short, you can keep your penny per kWh and subscribe to Green
            Mountain's Pollution-Free plan.

            I too have been frustrated by GME's small, grass roots campaign
            and
            lack of mass marketing.

            GME offers two plans: 1) Pollution-Free (10% Wind, 90% Hydro) and 2)
            100% Wind. The Pollution-Free plan is the same price as Reliant's
            regular price (the price-to-beat). Or you can choose the 100% Wind
            plan. It is one penny more per kWh over Reliant's price-to-beat. That
            amounts to $10 more per month based on 1,000 kWh consumption for the
            100% Wind plan ($.01 * 1,000 kWh = $10).

            CenterPoint (separate from Reliant) reads your meter and maintains
            the grid regardless of which electric utility retailer you choose. So
            reliability is the same and is guaranteed by the Public Utility
            Commission of Texas.

            GME Facts:
            Switching is free
            No deposit required
            No minimum term (no contract)
            GME Pollution-Free price is the exact same as Reli
            ant'sfossil-fuel
            based plan (price-to-beat) and one penny less per kHw than
            Reliant's
            Renewable plan.

            Prices as of 5/4/05:
            Reliant Energy – Price to beat – $.1220/kWh
            Green Mountain – Pollution-Free – $.1219/kWh
            Green Mountain – 100% Wind – $.1319/kWh
            Reliant Energy – Renewable Plan – $.1320/kWh

            Like I said earlier, if you decide to switch please help a brother
            out and go through me. I get a modest commission for each person that
            switches. You can either call me, email me or use this link to switch:

            http://www.greenmountain.com/sales/jbalkite

            Take care,

            James Balkite
            832.452.3319 cell