Re: Is there a Meeting Report?

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Boyer <chris.rox@s...> wrote:
      > Can anyone give a report on the Economides presentation? I'm
      currious to hear what was said.

      > Thanks,
      > Chris

      Wail, .... he said that solar energy is too expensive to be worth
      pursuing. I tried to get him to say why and he evaded the question
      until someone distracted him away with another question.

      He said there IS NO alternative to oil, or maybe he actually said
      no "practical" alternative, I should give him the benefit of the
      doubt.

      He said the huge majority of our electricity is made from natural gas
      and coal; and that oil has NOTHING to do with generating electricity.

      He said that oil should be priced about $30/barrel - if not for
      interferences in the free-market. I don't recall that he said
      anything definitive about what those interferences were, but it sure
      sounded like he was trying to make us think that war had little to do
      with it. He implied that oil company executives don't know as much as
      about the oil market as he does.

      My overall impression is that this is a guy who wakes up each morning
      and thinks to himself "Important people listen to me, therefore, I
      must be right."

      Of course, I could be wrong. The place was so crowded it was dificult
      to get in close enough to hear him and the other side of the
      restaraunt was noisy as hell. He DID apologize for not having a
      microphone, but kept turning away from his audience so we couldn't
      hear him.

      A lady I know tried to ask him a question regarding our society's
      general philosophy of acting as if our oil needs are worth killing
      innocent people for and he accused her of trying to impose her
      religious beliefs on him.