RE: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

  • Richard D. Kelley
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
      I am seeking employment opportunities!

      Thank you,

      Richard D. Kelley, PMP
      Certified Project Manger
      Rdkelley@...
      (281) 933 - 3958

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Naturallighting.com [SMTP:larry@...]
      Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 11:27 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

      << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
      Kim,

      We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping

      Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.

      * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
      * Stainless steel pump housing
      * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
      12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller driven;
      Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.

      Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks

      Larry Weber

      Naturallighting.com

      On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
      > wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
      > fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
      >
      > Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
      > Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Naturallighting.com
      1939 Richvale
      Houston, Texas 77062

      Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
      FAX 281.488.0823

      email: larry@...
      http://www.naturallighting.com
    • Kim & Garth Travis
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005

        Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
        fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?

        Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
        to find them?

        I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
        so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
        down.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        Richard D. Kelley wrote:

        > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
        >
        > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
        >
        > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
        >

        > Just so you know.
        >
        > BB

      • Joseph
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
          Hey Kim:

          I just got back from the SEI solar electric class last week in Austin, and
          we talked about the 'practicality' of solar electric applications. I had
          assumed in reading your original post that grid power was too expensive,
          which had led you to consider a solar alternative.

          I think two problems make solar electric seem a bad choice.

          1: You are literally buying all your electricity up front with a solar PV
          panel, which is a hidden cost when you tie into grid power.

          2: The cost of grid power today is about .10/kWh, which is very cheap.

          Also, for your application, if install cost for the grid power is low, and
          the long term life of the project is unknown, then it may indeed be the
          best solution for now. If I had to pay an electrician to bring power to
          my pond, I can easily see that costing in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

          The advantages of solar electric for such an application would include:

          1: If energy rates go up dramatically, it won't matter because the panel
          is already paid for.

          2: If install costs are somewhat higher, needing conduit, tying into a
          circuit panel, etc. The costs could easily exceed a solar panel. The
          same benefit of off-grid water pumping applications.

          3: Safety, 12VDC won't be much of a hazard 5 years down the road if the
          wires fray or short, 120VAC will be dangerous.

          4: Renewable advertising: people seeing a PV powered project are excited
          by the idea, and it helps put the idea of renewable energy in their minds.
          The current high panel costs and low energy rates make solar PV more of
          a niche market strictly from a cost recovery POV, but even so, the fact some
          applications are already cost effective with the most expensive renewable
          technology out there is impressive. Couple that with proven cost effective
          renewable technologies like solar thermal, and maybe you can change a few
          minds!

          As far as driving the costs down, I'm hoping if more and more people buy
          solar PV for the cost effective applications like DC water pumping,
          off-grid power, and even small fountain applications where install cost
          of grid-power makes the PV install reasonable, then a larger production
          base of PV panels will be established, which ultimately should bring their
          cost down. So we need those rebate programs to keep small installs going
          on all the time, keep the demand for panels high, so industry to make them
          will expand and drive the supply side up.

          I know we all know this, but it's important to realize that unlike some
          other industries, renewables has an enemy. The non-renewable energy suppliers
          want renewables to fail, or they want to control renewables themselves to
          keep the money stream in their favor. But sunshine falls on the greedy and
          the needy alike, and transmission of power works against the large scale
          distributor in this case.

          That's one thing I really like about solar, it favors small local business
          over large regional ones. It brings the business end closer to the community
          and thus inherently more socially responsible for the local community's
          interests, both environmental and economic.

          Well, enough from me for now.

          Good luck with that fountain however you implement it!

          Best wishes - Joseph Davis

          On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
          > fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?
          >
          > Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
          > to find them?
          >
          > I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
          > so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
          > down.
          >
          > Bright Blessings,
          > Kim
          >
          > Richard D. Kelley wrote:
          >
          > > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
          > >
          > > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
          > >
          > > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
          > >

          > > Just so you know.
          > >
          > > BB
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kim & Garth Travis
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005

            Actually, the options are not as black and white as grid vs solar, at least
            not for me. Over the next few years I will be installing a few small
            windmills for pumping water and generating some electric. We are
            installing a diesel generator for major electric, but which will not run
            all the time, just when needed and will operate on waste veggie oil. We
            will have some small solar systems, for individual projects and so on,
            depending on what it the most cost effective system we can figure out for
            each problem.

            The grid will be gone, but that doesn't mean I need to go to DC power for
            everything. Or one main system for the whole place.

            I do believe we will go with solar for the fountain, but with a much
            cheaper system that anything the pros have recommended. I have scrounged a
            gel cell battery and a 300 watt inverter so with the proper circuitry, I
            can go solar for well under $50. The fountain will only operate in the
            later day and early evening, but I did state in the original message that I
            didn't care if it ran all the time. I can buy a 5 watt solar battery
            charger for $29.99 from Harbor Freight. With a few relays and sensors I
            can make the system function only when there is enough power in the battery.

            There does seem to be a certain number of small inverters begging for homes
            out there as people upgrade to larger ones. I will definitely be taking
            all I can find.

            So far as I have been able to tell, the biggest enemy that renewables has
            is the building codes, neighborhood deed restrictions and big dollar
            people. Solar is cheap with a real quick pay back on hot water and solar
            clothes dryers, two of the things that it is hard to do with the local
            gestapo overly watchful about how things look. If we could implement a
            wider usage of just these two, think of the energy saved, especially here
            in Texas.

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • SBT Designs
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
              I could use some help over here in San Antonio.
              What can you do?

              Steven Shepard
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              (210) 698-7109
              www.sbtdesigns.com

              > << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
              > Kim,
              >
              > We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping
              >

              > Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.
              >
              > * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
              > * Stainless steel pump housing
              > * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
              > 12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller
              > driven;
              > Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.
              >

              > Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks
              >
              > Larry Weber
              >
              > Naturallighting.com
              >

              > On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Greetings,
              >>
              >> Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
              >> wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
              >> fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
              >>
              >> Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
              >> Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
              >>
              >> Bright Blessings,
              >> Kim
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>

              > Naturallighting.com
              > 1939 Richvale
              > Houston, Texas 77062
              >
              > Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
              > FAX 281.488.0823
              >
              > email: larry@...
              > http://www.naturallighting.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew McCalla
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 18, 2005
                For those of you endeavoring to do things with Bilge Pumps, you might find
                this review/shoot-out helpful:

                http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

                Andrew H. McCalla
                Meridian Energy Systems