RE: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

  • Richard D. Kelley
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
      I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.

      I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.

      I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.

      Just so you know.

      BB

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
        I am seeking employment opportunities!

        Thank you,

        Richard D. Kelley, PMP
        Certified Project Manger
        Rdkelley@...
        (281) 933 - 3958

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005

          Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
          fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?

          Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
          to find them?

          I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
          so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
          down.

          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          Richard D. Kelley wrote:

          > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
          >
          > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
          >
          > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
          >

          > Just so you know.
          >
          > BB

        • Joseph
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
            Hey Kim:

            I just got back from the SEI solar electric class last week in Austin, and
            we talked about the 'practicality' of solar electric applications. I had
            assumed in reading your original post that grid power was too expensive,
            which had led you to consider a solar alternative.

            I think two problems make solar electric seem a bad choice.

            1: You are literally buying all your electricity up front with a solar PV
            panel, which is a hidden cost when you tie into grid power.

            2: The cost of grid power today is about .10/kWh, which is very cheap.

            Also, for your application, if install cost for the grid power is low, and
            the long term life of the project is unknown, then it may indeed be the
            best solution for now. If I had to pay an electrician to bring power to
            my pond, I can easily see that costing in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

            The advantages of solar electric for such an application would include:

            1: If energy rates go up dramatically, it won't matter because the panel
            is already paid for.

            2: If install costs are somewhat higher, needing conduit, tying into a
            circuit panel, etc. The costs could easily exceed a solar panel. The
            same benefit of off-grid water pumping applications.

            3: Safety, 12VDC won't be much of a hazard 5 years down the road if the
            wires fray or short, 120VAC will be dangerous.

            4: Renewable advertising: people seeing a PV powered project are excited
            by the idea, and it helps put the idea of renewable energy in their minds.
            The current high panel costs and low energy rates make solar PV more of
            a niche market strictly from a cost recovery POV, but even so, the fact some
            applications are already cost effective with the most expensive renewable
            technology out there is impressive. Couple that with proven cost effective
            renewable technologies like solar thermal, and maybe you can change a few
            minds!

            As far as driving the costs down, I'm hoping if more and more people buy
            solar PV for the cost effective applications like DC water pumping,
            off-grid power, and even small fountain applications where install cost
            of grid-power makes the PV install reasonable, then a larger production
            base of PV panels will be established, which ultimately should bring their
            cost down. So we need those rebate programs to keep small installs going
            on all the time, keep the demand for panels high, so industry to make them
            will expand and drive the supply side up.

            I know we all know this, but it's important to realize that unlike some
            other industries, renewables has an enemy. The non-renewable energy suppliers
            want renewables to fail, or they want to control renewables themselves to
            keep the money stream in their favor. But sunshine falls on the greedy and
            the needy alike, and transmission of power works against the large scale
            distributor in this case.

            That's one thing I really like about solar, it favors small local business
            over large regional ones. It brings the business end closer to the community
            and thus inherently more socially responsible for the local community's
            interests, both environmental and economic.

            Well, enough from me for now.

            Good luck with that fountain however you implement it!

            Best wishes - Joseph Davis

            On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
            > fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?
            >
            > Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
            > to find them?
            >
            > I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
            > so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
            > down.
            >
            > Bright Blessings,
            > Kim
            >
            > Richard D. Kelley wrote:
            >
            > > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
            > >
            > > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
            > >
            > > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
            > >

            > > Just so you know.
            > >
            > > BB
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kim & Garth Travis
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005

              Actually, the options are not as black and white as grid vs solar, at least
              not for me. Over the next few years I will be installing a few small
              windmills for pumping water and generating some electric. We are
              installing a diesel generator for major electric, but which will not run
              all the time, just when needed and will operate on waste veggie oil. We
              will have some small solar systems, for individual projects and so on,
              depending on what it the most cost effective system we can figure out for
              each problem.

              The grid will be gone, but that doesn't mean I need to go to DC power for
              everything. Or one main system for the whole place.

              I do believe we will go with solar for the fountain, but with a much
              cheaper system that anything the pros have recommended. I have scrounged a
              gel cell battery and a 300 watt inverter so with the proper circuitry, I
              can go solar for well under $50. The fountain will only operate in the
              later day and early evening, but I did state in the original message that I
              didn't care if it ran all the time. I can buy a 5 watt solar battery
              charger for $29.99 from Harbor Freight. With a few relays and sensors I
              can make the system function only when there is enough power in the battery.

              There does seem to be a certain number of small inverters begging for homes
              out there as people upgrade to larger ones. I will definitely be taking
              all I can find.

              So far as I have been able to tell, the biggest enemy that renewables has
              is the building codes, neighborhood deed restrictions and big dollar
              people. Solar is cheap with a real quick pay back on hot water and solar
              clothes dryers, two of the things that it is hard to do with the local
              gestapo overly watchful about how things look. If we could implement a
              wider usage of just these two, think of the energy saved, especially here
              in Texas.

              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

            • SBT Designs
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
                I could use some help over here in San Antonio.
                What can you do?

                Steven Shepard
                SBT Designs
                25581 IH-10 West
                San Antonio, Texas 78257
                (210) 698-7109
                www.sbtdesigns.com

                > << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
                > Kim,
                >
                > We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping
                >

                > Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.
                >
                > * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
                > * Stainless steel pump housing
                > * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
                > 12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller
                > driven;
                > Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.
                >

                > Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks
                >
                > Larry Weber
                >
                > Naturallighting.com
                >

                > On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Greetings,
                >>
                >> Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
                >> wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
                >> fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
                >>
                >> Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
                >> Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
                >>
                >> Bright Blessings,
                >> Kim
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>

                > Naturallighting.com
                > 1939 Richvale
                > Houston, Texas 77062
                >
                > Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
                > FAX 281.488.0823
                >
                > email: larry@...
                > http://www.naturallighting.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Andrew McCalla
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 18, 2005
                  For those of you endeavoring to do things with Bilge Pumps, you might find
                  this review/shoot-out helpful:

                  http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

                  Andrew H. McCalla
                  Meridian Energy Systems